Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

TEA and their SATE conference - question

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wokcreative

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: TEA and their SATE conference - question Reply with quote

Does anyone know about the SATE (storytelling, architecture, technology, experience) conference that TEA is putting on in October? It will be for a couple of days in Orlando.
I'm trying to find out more about it, who is teaching/leading, who attends,...
I'm always trying to learn more about the writing involved in themed entertainment, how to build a track record... and get established.
Holly
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: SATE Reply with quote

I have a postcard for it... For those who haven't heard:

"For the first time, an interactive conference dedicated solely to exploring how the world's most compelling visitor experiences are created."

October 9-10, Rosen Centre Hotel, Orlando, FL

It says that it is put on be TEA and you can contact Raina at Raina@TEAConnect.org for more info. They might be able to tell you who is teaching/leading.

The TEA site has more info for those who want to know more about the conference...
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might also mention that if you miss it, many times you can get the CD or a tape of the event. Generally they'll charge around $15 for a 2 hour seminar. It's worth it if you miss it!

Nate
wokcreative

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:21 am    Post subject: SATE info Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I did find out a little more through a contact who has a contact... and there was a very positive recommendation for it. Now I have to figure out paying for it, getting there, staying there, how long to stay, what else to do while there...
Holly
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nate! The price is pretty steep for me, but if they sell it on DVD, that would be awesome!! It's probably great to watch that sort of DVD every few years as a sort of "refresher"... (unless it's really basic...)
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holly -

The price is too steep? But you Nickelodeon people make WAY more money than Universal people. How can this be so?? ;)
Holly
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Rolling in cash... hmmm... Reply with quote

lol... You forget that I am still in school and not fully in the industry (right now I am working only 20+ hours/week, I only did 40 while on summer break)... Plus I was originally hired as hourly office help! They graciously gave in after I asked a few times for a design job to cut my teeth on and threw me into a great project... So now I do mostly design work or assist the art director, but I am still hourly (for the moment). If you have info on what hourly/salaried designers (or design assistants) make in Orlando or know how to get the info, I would greatly appreciate it :-) I am still very new to the industry!
wokcreative

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: SATE info Reply with quote

Also, there is a big difference in price and value. It will be a good time to go, according to my other source, since it is the first year, and not that many will know about it yet. There will be good people leading it, and more access and more personal for those that attend.
(That was a fun little exchange about the different companies, too. Good to see you moving up so quickly in the ranks and responsibility, Holly. The money will come if you keep on doing what you love.)
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know who's speaking? I checked out the TEA web site at themeit.com and I did not find any information about the conference other than an email address.

My feeling is that the conference may be designed more with the owner / operator in mind but designers are wise to keep abreast of these things as well.

Nate
wokcreative

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: SATE info Reply with quote

I've written, asking for more info - who is speaking, names of seminars/workshops/sessions...
I'll post whatever I find out.
I'm going to try to be there, and plan a couple of days on both sides to meet people that are in that area, and maybe catch a park or two. I'll take you to lunch, if you're not busy.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. If I'm in town that day I'd be happy to. Maybe I'll take the conference in as well.

Nate
wokcreative

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: SATE info Reply with quote

I just got word from TEA that they will be sending more info early next week. I'll post it.
wokcreative

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:35 am    Post subject: SATE new info Reply with quote

Here's more info available, sent from TEA:

"go to http://www.teaconnect.org/sate.htm for the latest and
greatest SATE information with the Speaker information."

It breaks down the schedule and speakers
Holly
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You rock! :D
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Timon (the final day) is brilliant and he's the head of Universal Art & Design. He'll tell you all about the haunted houses we create at Universal. I don't know about the other people on the list, but I'm sure he'll be great!
wokcreative

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Holly.
Thanks, Nate, for the personal info and recommendation.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction, Jim Timon is the head of Universal Entertainment, not Art & Design (a group within Entertainment.)
Nate
wokcreative

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've signed up and will be in Orlando from the 7th through the 12th. I'm still offering to take anyone to lunch or dinner while I'm in the area.
I'm trying to figure out how to best use my time, since I haven't been to WDW since 1990 and have never been to IOA. I'm trying to find out if I get any kind of discount to attractions with my DLR annual pass.
Mostly, I look forward, very much, to the conference.
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Wok, do you know if they are selling DVDs of the SATE conference? I would really like to see it since i wasnt able to attend. If you hear anything let me know, thanks!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: