Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

Blogs...where?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:03 am    Post subject: Blogs...where? Reply with quote

I recently found out that there's a lot of blogs out there that are actually informative! As a designer, here's a few that I found that I thought might be interesting:

designsponge.blogspot.com/
www.michael-r-nelson.com/design_blog/
www.designobserver.com/

Does anyone else read these sort of things? What interesting blogs or news sites have you found that relate to your specialization or to themed entertainment in general?

Holly3216
(11/17/05 1:25 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: Blogs...where?
Not to beat a dead horse, I just didn't want to start a new thread... I found an interesting (though expensive) book at the bookstore this evening in the architecture section called, "A Pattern Language". It seems to talk about how people use spaces (streets, homes, porches, waiting rooms, and on and on) and how to make these spaces functional and pleasing. Even where it doesn't apply to themeparks, it has interesting ideas about space and people's relationships to it.

One excerpt:

"We have discussed the fact that people tend to take up positions from which they are protected, partly, at their backs, and the way this fact tends to make the action flow around the edge of public squares. If the space is a tiny one, there is no need for anything beyond an edge. But if there is reasonable area in the middle, intended for public use, it will be wasted unless there are trees, monuments, seats, fountains -- a place where people can protect their backs, as easily as they can around the edge. This reason for setting something roughly in the middle of a square is obvious and practical..."

Interesting... I wonder if the designers of themeparks and museums think of these things or if they subconsciously realize these effects while designing. I want to go to WDW and see if some of the author's theories are indeed true about how people are attracted to or avoid certain types of spaces... I've heard that certain areas of some of the themeparks tend to be ignored more than others even when there's good rides/attractions in those areas... Maybe it's just a matter of psychology and making it more inviting...?

I'm just babbling now... Time for bed!

Holly3216
(3/9/06 10:14 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: Blogs...where?
More blogs for anyone who might be interested:

Re-imagineering: "A forum for Pixar and Disney professionals passionate about the Disney Theme Parks to catalog past Imagineering missteps and offer up tenable practical solutions in hopes that a new wave of creative management at Imagineering can once again bring back some of the wonder and magic that's been missing from the parks for decades."

imagineerebirth.blogspot.com/

The Disney Blog: News from the Laughing Place (including Imagineering news)

thedisneyblog.typepad.com/tdb/

Blog Flume: from Theme Park Insider -- General news from the US theme parks.

www.themeparkinsider.com/

Hope ya'll enjoy these... Hope everyone's doing well...

Meloncov
(3/11/06 1:33 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: Blogs...where? For the record, the Re-Imageneering blog and its comments are supposedly red by people who have a say in Imageneering.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: