Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

Terminology that legaly makes ideas yours & obtaining it

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:11 am    Post subject: Terminology that legaly makes ideas yours & obtaining it Reply with quote

heoretically, lets say I have all these wonderful plans, sketches, notes and designs for an original Theme Park. I'm not incorperated, nor do I work for one. I'm just a guy with a stack of notations in his house and/or on his computer and all I really want to do is make sure my ideas aren't stolen or otherwise misrepresented. What is the legal process called and does it even exist?

I know you patent an invention. But do you patent a Theme Park? I can understand how copyrights and trademarks would play into it. But I would think all that happens after you've actually created a buisness or the infrastructure of one. Can I even protect my ideas when we're dealing with something that is so, for lack of a better phrase, obscure?

For sake of argument lets say the ideas are just that good, that I fear they might be used. They might not be worth the paper there scribbled on. But we are just being theoretical here :hat

Eon Press Presents

Edited by: Digital Jedi Master at: 3/13/06 11:09 am
Meloncov
(3/13/06 8:00 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: Terminology that legaly makes ideas yours & obtainin
I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is that different ideas within the realm of theme park design fall under different types of protection.

Technologies can be patented.
Stories can, to a limited degree, be protected with copywrites.
Brands can be trademarked.

Just the fact that you wrote them means that it is theoretically illegal for someone to take your ideas without permision, but that does not necesairly mean that you can prove that your ideas were stolen conclusively enough that you could sue.

Another note, if you have an idea your protective of, don't post it here. By the user agreement of this mesageboard (designed to protect Nate and the rest profesionals on this board from being sued) anything posted here becomes part of the public domain.

Digital Jedi Master
(3/14/06 1:05 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

Quote:Another note, if you have an idea your protective of, don't post it here. By the user agreement of this mesageboard (designed to protect Nate and the rest profesionals on this board from being sued) anything posted here becomes part of the public domain.

Right. Understood. Until I'm 100% assured of the protection of my intellectual properties, then I won't be posting my ideas anywhere on the net. Very few individuals have seen or even know of the plans I have worked up. Uh,...theoritcally speaking, of course. Wink

Quote:Technologies can be patented.
Stories can, to a limited degree, be protected with copywrites.
Brands can be trademarked.

I hadn't thought of that. Of course. I'm an artist and wirter (albeit an amature one) and I'm not sure why that didn't occur to me. Thanks.

Now I have to wonder, what type of property does a ride fall under when dealing with copyrights? I would think it falls under the same category that plays and musicals fall under.

Eon Press Presents

Meloncov
(3/14/06 9:13 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: Terminology that legaly makes ideas yours & obtainin Its a combination. A typical ride will have a patent protecting any original technology, and copywrite protection on the story, plus a host of trademarks on charecter names.

Digital Jedi Master
(3/15/06 1:12 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

Quote:Its a combination. A typical ride will have a patent protecting any original technology, and copywrite protection on the story, plus a host of trademarks on charecter names.

I mean in the context of the story. You can copyright a story, but you must do so under it's respective category. I'd be curious to find out what category a "ride story" falls under, if it indeed falls under anything.

With differing genres, for example a comic book, there's a specific category for printed literature tht you file under. In the case of a stage play, there's a seperate category for live production and so and so forth. Everything has a place it can generally categorize in. I wonder what a "ride story" would be categorized as, or if you can only do the peices you mentioned and the story itself is protected by association.

In the end, it's really just me being paranoid. Being as new to the inner workings and creative processes of themed attractions as I am, I am unaware of how inspired any ideas I have truly are, or what the community of people behind this stuff are like. I had to learn that comic book creators where not stealing each others concepts left and right, otherwise it would just be a chaotic industry with no sense of community. And as a result, no creativity. Based on the little bit of info I've researcehd, I suspect the themed amusment industry is the same way. It seems very small, with a great deal of admiration of each others work. The comic book industry is the same way. It wouldn't be condusive to creativity if everyone where looking over their shoulder.

Bear with me as I ask a lot of questions. I'm the new guy. Very Happy

Eon Press Presents

Meloncov
(3/15/06 6:23 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: Terminology that legaly makes ideas yours & obtainin I'd guese that it falls under the same catagory as a movie/play script, but I really don't know for sure.

naversen1
ezOP
(4/17/06 12:26 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: Terminology that legaly makes ideas yours & obtainin This is probably the only taboo question on the entire site.

Digital Jedi Master
(6/5/06 3:38 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: Terminology that legaly makes ideas yours & obtainin Really? I had no idea. It certainly seemed like an innocuous enough question. If I may ask, why? Not trying to start any trouble, mind you. Just curious as to why that is considered a "taboo" question.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: