Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

flooded museum revisited

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:25 am    Post subject: flooded museum revisited Reply with quote

So we've got the theme (Flooded museum of art and science), attraction type (Water dark ride), General story (Curator makes best of flooding situation and offers water tours of museum) and several gags (Marionette mummies; Statue of David with soap on a rope; T Rex skeleton with water wings, Painting of Washington crossing the Delaware floating by; etc). The path has even been decided on with a drop at the end from the top floor planetarium to the basement.

Now. What types of media would be best for the props.

Let's get this board going again. And Loric - you bring the peach snapple.

Yellnick

yellnick
(8/18/05 5:06 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Where is Everybody!?!
What am I Earl Holliman here? Is there some sort of industry black out or something? What's the dealio?

Yellnick

Ken...Is your computer on?

Aloric
(8/20/05 4:15 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post here I'm here - just been busy. Very happy you remembered me. Smile

Aloric
(8/20/05 4:30 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: here To actually answer the question..

I'm thinkin plastics. Everything needs to be withstand some major corrosion and at the same time be fairly easy to replace. You can't stop color fading but you can design something to be easy/cheap to replace.

With water, it's not likely that repainting would be feasible, particularly for set pieces, so those need to be pretty colorfast. My pet peeve is a water-line in rides.

I'm not exactly sure what you're planning, but for anything that touches the water, i'd focus lighting away from that contact point and probably make two (or more) of any such piece.

Also, items designed to be non-essential and removed on a rolling basis are common in water ride designs. Various animals and such are constantly removed in a cycle and typicallythey're not missed - the occasional major show element not withstanding.

Are you doing flooded sets with guide rails in the water and propulsion jets or perhaps a true "flume" with a defined waterway?

Flooded sets seem the obvious choice for the project, but perhaps the contained flume could work with the proper use of lighting and design?

Maybe there can be area which are fully flooded and those which are flume - pass through a doorway from the load area and into the "library" which is dimly lit, water patterns cast by light on the ceiling, you scenic pieces contained within their own pools (if needed) rather than flooding the entire set.

One of my favorite water fake-outs is the "volcano" in the Universe of Energy. It's actually just a large fountain in a big boring-looking grey concrete pool - but since it's above the riders and lit appropriately with the foreground blocked by rockwork it's very effecting.

Lemme know what you're thinking.

yellnick
(8/20/05 12:16 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Awesome reply Al Don't have time this minute (I checked the board expecting to see no replys actually) but will get back here very soon
Thanks again!

Anybody else? Bueler...Bueler?

yellnick
(9/15/05 1:11 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post IAAPA So who's going to IAAPA in Atlanta? I'd like to meet those of you who helped with the museum attraction - pay you off with redemption tickets or something.
But I'd like to know who is REALLY going. Room reserved, plane tickets purchased, etc... Not the I'll probably be there if my schedule opens stuff. I NEED ANSWERS!!!

Talk to you later, Yellnick

"Tito Puente is gonna die and you're gonna say, 'I've been listening to heim for years and I think he's fabulous'"

No Limits Thriller
(10/4/05 6:02 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Volcano Does anyone have pictures of this volcano in the Universe of Energy? I'd be very interested to see that, I don't remember much about that attractions myself...

Holly3216
(10/6/05 10:03 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: Volcano If no one else has a picture, I can get you one. I have a pass right now to Disney, and I go every couple of weeks.

Holly3216
(10/25/05 10:31 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: Volcano Here's the U of E volcano... it's not crisp (the water, that is) because of long exposure time. Anyhow, it appears to be a very well-lit bit of water that shoots up now and then. The water is more blobs than spray, and is very bright compared to everything around it, so the effect is very good. The volcano is up near the top of the diorama (thus, the pterodactyl), on the right, near where the vehicle goes through a hole in the rocks to the next scene.

---------------------------------------------------------

Finally got through with work for the day... Aloric was talking about "fake-outs"... and I think, seeing how lighting is so compelling here, that would be a great way to handle some of the water effects...Using gobos, etc. Near darkness with strategic lighting can allow the riders to fill in a lot with their imagination (vis. haunted mansion or Alien Encounter)...

>>...pass through a doorway from the load area and into
>>the "library" which is dimly lit, water patterns cast by
>>light on the ceiling, you scenic pieces contained within
>>their own pools (if needed) rather than flooding the
>>entire set.

I was on Pooh yesterday at MK, and almost swore the ground under the characters was fluid (moving) for a second... but they just had small pieces of things that were animated from underneath on the black floor with animated lighting within the flooring that furthered the feeling of motion... So yeah...especially if they can move slightly to draw attention, this could be really effective...

It would be interesting if the museum flooded while the riders were in it (for what reason I can't think right now)... anyhow, it might provide the necessary emotional climax in order for the drop to make sense... The track could approach some sort of balcony or whatever, and a huge tidal wave of water (due to some disaster) comes and pushes the ride vehicle over the edge and drops it into the basement...

Grah...just my $0.02...tired...going to bed now...

Edited by: Holly3216 at: 10/25/05 11:27 pm
whitelion48
(7/18/06 9:56 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: Volcano if you need an reason for the flood, a tsunami is a good as reason as any. as for a reason for the flood after the rides starts well maybe a second wave hits shortly after the first, making t5he story a rescue attempt,not just selling tickets after the fact or the flood occured be cause of water mains breaking during an earthquake, and the second flood could be the result of a dam breaking after being weakend by the earthquake and the aftershocks(ala Earthquake)
signed
David Guillot

dancinbelle
(9/18/06 12:23 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: Volcano If you realy wanted to be creative, the aquarium nearby broke, releasing deadly fish :lol . . . is that a little too out there?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: