Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

Wait times

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcj3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Wait times Reply with quote

The article on the wait times was very interesting but I have a question. How do you decide how large to make your wait area? Is there a formula for deciding that space? I am guessing that you take a percentage of the gate volume to figure it?
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code tells you how wide you need to make your queue. Usually these days it's 42-48 inches. Then you can figure the length by a rough estimate of how many people will stand in line per linear foot. Generally, you can probably say about 2 linear foot per person taking into account that people will not stand in a perfect line, especially in a wide queue. A lot of times when figuring this, we'd go stand out in an existing queue and simply count people for a given length. Then knowing length times width, we come up with a square area for a certain amount of people. So for example, if we know that our ride has a capacity of 1000 persons per hour, then if we want to build a queue that with a capacity of a 1/2 hour wait, it must accommodate 500 guests. We know the linear length required for that many guests, and the width of the queue.... from there we can generate a layout in CAD and get it reasonably close. Of course, if more than 500 people show up at any given time they'll be stretched outside the queue which is why you'd also have a temporary extended queue outside of the main queue. But you know that this line will be 'eaten' at a rate of 1000 per hour, which is relatively fast except for the largest and most popular of attractions.

Nate
rcj3

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nate that helps. So how do you determine how big of a room to make to wait in before the ride? Like at the Little Mermaid or the Honey I Shrunk the Audience shows there was the queue area out front but then they also had a holding room inside. What space considerations do you consider when sizing this room? Do figure a certain amount of square footage per person?

I have the Honey I shrunk the Audience show freaked my kids out. They sat with their eyes covered for most of it. At least from the point the snake came out.

thanks for the insight.

Chris
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you just assign 6-8 square feet per person (different cultures have different numbers before people begin to feel claustrophobic) and then extrapolate the size of the room based on the required capacity.

Nate
rcj3

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nate for the information
Loric

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few notes..

My experience with some parks has shown that a major attraction will draw 30% of the park total on a given day. That's for the biggie parks, and thus those attractions have huge lines and pretty hefty capacities. We're not talking Dumbo.

But, some attractions with a major pull, good positioning, and a extremely high capacity can do 60% of a park total. Very few rides are in that category. Spaceship Earth at Epcot does 60+% as does Kilimanjaro Safaris (which sometimes does 95% of the guests in the park).

Just some food for thought on how you plan things.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: