Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

Hi Nate, Holly, and everyone!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loric

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:36 am    Post subject: Hi Nate, Holly, and everyone! Reply with quote

Hellos!

I'm back, yet again. I'm that guy who used to be that kid who argued with Eddie a lot - in case anyone forgot.

I had to create a whole new account.. looks like things have been pretty well revamped again here. Anything major i missed?

Nate, are you posting as Nate or as admin? Or is admin some new person i dont know yet?

Or heck - maybe they're someone i knew but who is all admin-like now!

How is everyone? How's life and work? What's everyone up to? Anyone need an assistant to fetch coffee at their large design firm?

I guess i'm trying to jump back into things here for the umpteenth time. Hoping others will post prolifically and support my addiction to theme park design.

Gonna be reading and posting a good bit for the next few hours and then i'm going to tattoo myself or maybe just put a rubber band on my wrist and force myself to come back and check the posts. I know this forum goes slow sometimes - but i really do like reading what everyone has to say and the conversations that occur.

If you guys promise to check frequently and post, i will too!
Holly
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Loric!

Good to see you back! "Admin" is Nate. I moderate when there is some moderatin' that needs to be done... which isn't too often...

How are you doing? Are you through school?

I will be popping in and out a bit right now... I found out that I have to move again (landlord is not so good.. house in foreclosing... long story), so I and my roomies are packing and moving out at the end of the month in addition to everything else... blah!

Anyhow, it is good to hear from you again, as always... Keep imagining and creating!

I will be back posting again as soon as I extract myself from all of the packing tape Wink
Loric

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a little bit of time left in school. If i forced it, this could be my last semester, but i'm going to take it kinda easy, enjoy the experience of what will probably be my last show at this school, and then take the time to really set up my portfolio over the summer/fall while i have a light course load to pick up my last few credits.

If i've learned anything - it's to not listen to all the people who want me to take 18-20 credit hours while doing shows during the semester. I do not need to graduate in exactly 4 years and i want to not be so stressed my head explodes.

If i'm there until 3am on a paint call, i don't need to be worried about an exam on Brecht and "contemplative distance" the next morning at 9am. I do feel a well rounded education is important, but actually learning from it rather then struggling through and forgetting everything is far more important.

I have no idea what i'm going to do once i graduate. Bleh. The more I think about it, the more I feel like being strictly in the "designer" role wont fit me. I do like being involved in the shop processes and build portion - but i'm not a TD. I guess some sort of go-between if i can figure what that role actually is?

It sounds kinda silly and under-achieving, but i dont think I desire to be a lead or singular designer. I like working in a group and having something come out of a collaboration and feels i have a lot to contribute to that. I work very well as an assistant to the lead designer. Not in a carry-coffe, draft random stuff, no-input sort of way, but more of a "make this idea work" and "offer my opinion and have it taken seriously" type way.

Associate instead of assistant perhaps? I dunno.

What have you been up to Holly? If you're in Orlando you gotta drive over and see my current show when it opens (April) - still a bridesmaid, but a trusted inputting one Wink
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Loric, glad you're back!

It's been a long time now since those olden days back in the late 90's when we'd talk, yes? Now you're almost done in college and ready to start working in the real world. If you play your cards right, some of us who have been there done that would probably be happy to help you get started in themed entertainment if you're so interested. In the mean time, I'd love to come see your show too sometime!

Nate
Loric

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! I'm excited about this show. Anyone familiar with Metamorphoses? It's a modern show based on the works of Ovid. About human transformation and divine intervention etc.. with a pool Wink

I'll let you know if it ends up having a splash-zone.
Holly
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I am very familiar with Metamorphoses! For one of my classes, our professor let us choose a show to create a design for, and I chose Metamorphoses. For extra challenge, I designed it for an arena setting... 3 interlocking set pieces which could also stand alone to create the different places in the script (they locked together for the final scene), there was a main tree in the center with "stained-glass" leaves near the pool, and the gods sat on their front porch off on the side the whole time, watching the lives of the mortals. I don't remember all of the details, but it was fun to design (and difficult in many ways as well because of how many myths/locations/characters it brings in, because it explores the theme of transformation from so many different angles, and because of how sight lines have to be dealt with in an arena). Let us know more details when it gets closer, so we can come and see it if we get the time off for good behavior Wink I would enjoy seeing someone else's perspective on the script and what images/ideas it created in their mind...

P.S. As per your question about what I am up to... I am still up to grad school, until summer... I also work in the industry approx. 4 days/week as an assistant designer. I have some designs that are being realized in the real world very soon Smile
Loric

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sniffle* I wanna be you Sad
Holly
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... you don't *really* want my life... just my job... You have a lot to offer, so just start getting to know people and know where you want to go with your career. Once you can say, "I really want to be a _________ someday", then people can begin to help you get there. Smile

I always wanted to design/art-direct, so that is where I am headed. You might want to do some "informational interviews" at some design/fabrication shops, and see what job opportunities are out there that might fit your strengths and personality... and also, test the waters to see if there are any internships available (which is how I got into the industry). Since you still have some laid-back semesters in school, it may be a good chance to do an internship and learn the ropes...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: