Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

Universal Creative questions

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aquawaldo321

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Universal Creative questions Reply with quote

Hi my name is Brandon, and i stumbled across this website by accident, and seem to think its the best thing i could have ever done! there is a lot of great information that i am already applying to my life as a new designer. i know that a lot of questions have come up about universal creative and how to get a job there, and i am no different in asking.

i have done design work in set design for theatre at school, and still in college. i work for a local scenic design company here in orlando that puts the sets together for places like universal. i have even designed a full roller coaster type attraction for harry potter, just for fun. (it is however too late to show it, as harry potter is done with design and on to construction.) i know that my bosses at work are trying to get me an internship there, but they are often busy with production and getting me into universal gets put on the back burner.

i have been in contact with rick spencer over at universal entertainment, and he is full of advice, but not too sure on how to get into creative. i have emailed creative via the TEA website, and was sent through several people and finally asked to send in a resume, i however have yet to hear back for them to inform me if they even got it. i sent it to them once over the holiday break and again last week.

now i dont know what to do. i am waiting for a reply, but afraid i wont get one. i dont want to keep emailing and become a bother, and they never hire me, but what do i do next, how do i get an interview?
rick spencer said to apply with in the park, it is then easier to move up once you work for the company. i have thought about that, and will use it as a last option, but the thing about that is, florida pay is very low, and it is lowest in the theme parks, not to talk about the hot hot summer heat!

this is turing into a bit of a rant, but any help at all that i could get would be great. this board seems to be full of nice helpful people who know a lot about this business. i look forward to hearing more from everyone!
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone -

I can't really comment on this because I am associated with Universal Creative. Can anyone else lend some advice?

The only thing I will say publicly is that the person listed on the TEA web site is the best person to contact in order to gain employment with creative.

Best of luck to you...

Nate
Holly
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say, be persistent. I was pursuing an internship with them at the same time I was pursuing one where I currently work. Even with a connection to one of the highest people, my papers got lost in the shuffle at HR... I would imagine that they probably get an insane number of resumes... Some people recommend going out of your way to deliver a resume in person and gain a conversation with an appropriate person... I am really not sure...

You may also want to try to knock on the door of some of the smaller places... There are some *very* good shops that are mostly just known within the industry (because they are hired by the bigger names to do work on various projects). These are also a good place to get started in the industry and start getting to know people.
rcj3

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried calling the person you emailed the proposal to or call HR to see if they received it? Whenever I fax or email a resume in response to an add or request, I call to verify they received it.

As of recent I have been doing alot of that. I am hoping to have something turn up soon. Just remember if it doesn't work out to keep trying. You sometimes have to go through a lot of rejection to reach your dreams. If you want it bad enough, all the rejection will make the reward that much sweeter. Thats what I keeping telling myself. I have three rejection letters from Disney so far. My wife shakes her head cause I get excited when I get them but I tell it just means that they looked long enough and put some thought into into to generate a letter.

Hope it helps,
Chris
aquawaldo321

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you guys so much for your reply. i have been in contact with HR and they are gonna put me on a list of consideration for an internship. in addition i work for a scenic company that does a lot of work for Universal, so they are also gonna make some calls, they know some other people i have not spoke with along with the same HR person I have spoke with. i am also still waiting on a reply from another person in Creative on what i need to do. so with all of that out there, i hope something good comes of it!
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon -

Why don't you contact me through the themedattraction.com web site. Having "broken through" years ago, over 10 years ago to be exact! I can definitely give you some pointers. If you're already in the industry the transition shouldn't be too tough!

Nate
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: