Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

Internships, Grad School or entry jobs?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loric

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Internships, Grad School or entry jobs? Reply with quote

Well, i'm thinking about m future..

I'm nearing the end of my undergraduate college career and trying to decide what to do next..

Internships..? Before I finish or during grad school.. or..? What's out there? I've done some searching, and it really seems to be luck of the draw with who needs what at any given time. Any particular companies I should be looking into? Anyone done an internship in the themed entertainment realm?

Next.. Grad Schools? Any particular recommendations for the industry? Do i need it do i want it? Does it help on the resume or will it just be more turning the wheels?

And finally.. entry level jobs? Where? How..? Who..? Point me the right way-ish Wink What sort of qualifications are they looking for? I can't be completely unemployable! Someone must need coffee Wink

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Loric, nice to meet you...so I dont really know anything about what you do or studied in school. Why dont you fill me in? What exactly do you want to do? I read your other post about wanting to design and build, and thats exactly like me...I love to construct things and its even cooler when you design something and then build it yourself...something about that just makes me feel good Laughing As of now, I am freelancing for a couple different companies that build attractions for several different clients...Its not the most steady income ever but I feel like Im doing something to further my portfolio and skills, you know? Hopefully one of those will lead to a full time job soon. Looking forward to talking with you more on the boards! take care.
Loric

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trained in design for theater, scenic primarily, with some experience in lighting and sound.

4-year public university, going to have my BA soon. Worked several shows over the years, various areas, including doing sound design and such - but my real accomplishments have been in scenic design. Lately, i've been put in the "assistant" role with varying levels of input depending on the lead designer. I see designs through from idea sessions to fabrication and installation. CAD drafting, elevations, working drawings, model building on the design side, to carpentry, painting, finishing, all kinds of fabrication in the shop.

I'm kind of like a high-ranking "Lackey" if that's the word for it. My experience has been that "formally" designers stay in the studio while the Technical Director and his artists/artisans do the fabrication - but my role has typically been to be between the two without really being well-define. Go-between?

I have say in both processes, but i'm not in charge of either. What does that translate to for a job title? Probably why i'm always assistant or associate to whoever is the lead.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to do theming design, forget grad school. Just start doing it! Internships are good because they help you get your foot in the door. If you're good they'll generally hire you, especially if they see a lot of desire and that you work well with other people. Or a general job would be fine as well. My advice is to start with the TEA directory on themeit.com. Get the resume ready and start making the calls.
Loric

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you know if you really got a descent education and are prepared though?

People tell me it's one of those "grass is always greener" type situations - but i seem to hear about people's experiences and things they've done and i feel totally unprepared.
Holly
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you knew how unprepared I was when I started designing... lol... My first designs were really rough, but I had a good boss who was patient and stepped me through it. My work has improved significantly since then, and I now know how my unique skills and talents fit into the process.

It's not always about education or what you can do out-of-the-box. If someone sees potential they will use it. If you get along well with people and are teachable, that is a major plus. I don't think you really can prepare because each person seems to end up in a unique niche depending on their talents, skills and opportunities. There are some tasks that don't land on my desk because I am not as suited for them as someone else. That's okay... I get other unique things across my desk that other people don't. You may land in a part of the production process that you never knew you would enjoy. How can you prepare for that? Get out there, show people what you are strong at, and let them decide if you have the talents that they need for the particular projects they have lined up.

My mentor used to tell me about the entertainment industry: "The people who get hired again and again aren't always the ones that are the most talented, but the ones that can do the work and are a pleasure to work with." So from his advice, just by being the best person you know how to be, you have already done a large part of the preparation...
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Holly said is right. A lot of it comes down to how much people like you and how well you work with them. And when you're starting out, nobody expects you to know anything. A lot of times they love entry level people because 1) You won't cost them a lot and 2) they can mold you into someone they want you to be.

So my advice is to not worry about how much you do or don't know from your education. Just put together a portfolio with your absolute best stuff, get a good resume togther and just go out and meet people. Then when you get in the door somewhere, learn all you can. Come with desire and just learn as much as you can. The worst thing you can do is to come in like a know it all. The best thing you can do is start finding mentors who can help you understand the process. And of course if you can do great work along the way, you'll be a help to them and they'll keep you around.

Nate
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep seeing this about having a mentor...well how might one go about getting a mentor? Sounds like a good idea to have one Smile
rcj3

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nate said it right. Just go into showing an eagerness and excitement to learn and learn their way of doing things. It is great to go to inprepared and confident but make sure act open.

If you get the job just make sure to ask questions and if you see someone doing something you do know how to do just ask them to show you how. I graduated school with my drafting degree and got a job and realized quickly that I didnt know as much as I thought I did. So I just watched, asked questions, and did the old trial and error learning.

If you do those things a mentor will find you. Your effort and enthusiasim (sp) will show and they will want to "take you under their wing".

Good Luck

Chris
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: To find a mentor Reply with quote

Okay this is turning into more of a jobs board. But why not?

In order to get a mentor, I believe you have to tap into someone's memory towards the fact that they were once where you are now. If you are nice enough and ask questions like, "I am really serious about breaking into this industry, but I just need someone to point me in the right direction. Can you help me?" You'd be surprised how people may help you or pass your name along to somebody. The only question is how to find those people. Themed Entertainment Association is a great place to start. Any company in town that you can get in touch with is another. And of course, you never know who is on these message boards.

Nate
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: