Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

Designers in the Uk

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomspindlerdesigns

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Designers in the Uk Reply with quote

Hey guys - just wondering - there have been loads of questions about internships at Universal Creative and simular places and I have recongnized that most of these are from students from American schools or institutions - I myself am a student from London and was wondering if these places or any American design companys infact take over-seas interns or work expirience or is it normally just American students.
Also are there anyother Uk desingers on here that wanna get intouch and talk about the possiblilty of collaborating on any designs.
I am a London designer who is a Set and Costume design student at the Central school of Speech and Drama who is mainly interested in the halloween/horror theme and am currently scouting for locations in Central London to design a horror house.
Any replys or interest would be great. always good to hear from you.
Tom spindler.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom -

The answer to your question is a cultural one, and the short answer is, "yes". In general, they'll take anybody from anywhere if the talent and the timing is a good fit for the company. They don't call this the land of opportunity for nothing. I wouldn't count on getting anyone to fly you over, you'd have to be living and working here already on a more or less permanent basis. But yes, anything is possible.

In terms of who I think is the most successful in this stuff, in my opinion, I believe that the themed attraction designers are generally well in tune with today's pop culture. In our offices we all watch "Lost", "Battlestar Gallactica" "Heroes" "24" "Alias".... and all of the latest movies. Not on purpose, I just think that there's a personality that's drawn to that sort of thing. So as I was telling a Japanese student who wanted to come to America a few years ago: It's really important to understand American pop culture because really, this is American style entertainment.

That being said, there still is a lot of good entertainment being designed in the UK. I would think that the ghost tours and such would be even better there than here, with some 2000 years of history to fall back upon (more?) Not to mention the fact that there are several very reputable design companies there in the UK not to mention european theme parks.

So bottom line: I say go for it. If you really want to do it, nothing should stop you. Go pursue your dreams. If you can do it anywhere, you can do it here.

Nate
tomspindlerdesigns

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Nate - thats boosted up my spirits! Am doing everything in my power to reach my goals so hopefully will see you one day over in the States!
thanks once again for taking time to reply!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: