Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

Wow - Ye Olde Epcot modeling portfolio

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loric

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Wow - Ye Olde Epcot modeling portfolio Reply with quote

In my endless scouring of the net for all-things-Epcot i ran across the online portfolio of one of the people who was a model maker for Horizons movie sequences.

http://www.kesigndesign.com/code/horizon1.htm

Wow!

A) I dearly wish i was that talented.

B) Are attractions really that intricate and intensive anymore?

It's kind of ironic, it's something I really admire, think should be the norm in the industry, but i'm not sure i'd ever be physically capable of doing it.

*le sigh*

What do you guys think?
DancinBelle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool!!

I also wish I was that talented. Heck, I'm all proud of myself for fixing a fixture in the bathroom all by myself! Laughing I didn't drop the insanely tiny screw down the air vent.

I never saw Horizons, and this makes me wish I had. What'd I miss?
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only saw it once before it was closed. I thought it was top notch attraction. In fact, the rumor was it was only closed because Nestle withdrew their sponsorship and they were unable to find another one. Too bad. Soarin' is cool, but Horizons was really great too. On par with Spaceship Earth.

The basic ride system was an Omni-mover (think Haunted Mansion, Buzz Lightyear, etc..) but the ride vehicles were afixed to the wall. The ride vehicles skirted the outside walls of the ride building with the show sets in the center. Very novel concept and I'm glad I got the chance to experience it.

Nate
Loric

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some clarification...

Horizons was where Mission: SPACE currently is. The entire show building was torn down, very publicly. Typically Epcot re-uses the show buildings.

General Electric sponsored the attraction. It was the sequel to the Carousel of Progress. It closed shortly after losing sponsorship.

The ride system was attached to the track above the vehicle - behind it was a walkway for evacuation. The rear of the vehicles opened via a special hatch.

It had complex massive sets (think SSE show scenes, but bigger) and huge projection sequences. It was all about the future in Mesa Verde (the desert), Bravo Centuri (space), and Sea Castle (underwater) and the technology to make those place hospitable.

Bio-engineering of fruits and veggies to grow in the dessert, harvesting sea weed as a fuel source, and growing crystals in outer space.

You met different family members who lived in the various locations and who communicated via video phone. That's how the scenes were linked. The narrators (male a female) were the older heads of the family. It also opened with a "look back on the future" at whimsical sci-fi and jules verne versions of the future.

It traveled through a pair of omnimax theaters (think big massive imax style screens) and showed the wonders of bleeding edge technology (shuttle launch, microprocessors, advanced scuba, etc) before going into the "real future" in the 3 biomes.

For the finale, you chose a way to get back home - desert, space, sea - and as you moved along the projection tracked with your vehicle in synch.

The artist i linked to above made the stop-motion fly through and sets for the end sequences.
Loric

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and to tie the whole thing together, all those people/relative talking on the video phones come together at the end for a holographic appearance at a birthday party for a kid in the family. Very charming. A very nice way to make the future more warm and less cold technology. It was really about how we lived in the future - not how technology worked in the future.
tomspindlerdesigns

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im loving the set peices in this! Love the attention to detail.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right Rob (Loric) ... you have me busted on my sketchy EPCOT details. Thanks for the corrections! Smile

Speaking of Universal Creative, when I was there in 2004 I met the chief model maker for WDI on the EPCOT project. He had some great stories of Roy Disney coming in the door and all the great things they did on that project. If I see him again I'll get his name and try to get an interview or something.

Okay, that was a tangent... back on track people!
DancinBelle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any way to train yourself to make models? Preferably a way that isn't expensive or messy? (Which probably doesn't exist, right? Wink )
Holly
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a really good video of the attraction (3 parts):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImQSEV0NagU&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkYBnCmnXcc&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5Zh9jE36jw&feature=related

Here are some other belated and beloved old Epcot rides:
World of Motion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-zTjWwbK20

Journey to Imagination (3 parts)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nhEEBPnuro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9E4yNg_eFI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpSpNCg0MV8

Here is another ride many people may have missed... Delta Dreamflight! Even though it was a big commercial and didn't really fit into Tomorrowland, I still liked it when I was a kid...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx0hC-s_iQo

I really miss these rides with "epic" sets and detail... These were what Disney meant to me when I was younger -- because you couldn't get that same ride experience anywhere else... Whenever I go to Epcot, I ride Spaceship Earth, because it is nearly the only ride of that breed left... With the new version, the ending doesn't seem as hopeful or dreaming... but they kept with the idea of it.
Loric

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holly!

I just ran across those videos about 5 mins ago and rushed here to post them.

I swear, we live strange parallel lives Wink
Loric

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, about Spaceship Earth..

It closes for a week prior to its grand reopening and i've heard the powers that be aren't happy with it right now either. So, there's hope.
Loric

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh.. wow..

I just watched the first video (I had started with the middle one) and the CM who is loading people onto the ride is someone I used to work with when I worked in Future World East.

That's.. wow.. I dunno what to think. The people I worked with talked about how great to work at Horizons and be behind the giant screens with the points of light shining through (the big screens were like metal mesh with pin holes).

Just never really occured to me that i might see one of them actually working it. Like it was the good old days, but of legend and story, not reality. It's weird to know something is gone... Like how i'm sure i'm in plenty of people's videos of Body Wars.
Thriller

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical that a ride is so dependent on it's sponsoring. Is there really that much money involved in sponsorships?
feralchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="DancinBelle"]Is there any way to train yourself to make models? Preferably a way that isn't expensive or messy? (Which probably doesn't exist, right? Wink )[/quote]

Playing! Very Happy
I don't think there is a way that's not messy, but that's half the fun! You can practice with anything you can get your hands on - empty packaging, modelling clay, papier mache, etc. I sometimes buy cheap toys and modify them - modelling kits are also a good way to learn how to get to grips with glueing and painting. But mainly, experiment and have fun! Mr. Green

Sam
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: