Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

Hobbs End...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sfan00

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Hobbs End... Reply with quote

Concept and some Back story in relation to Hobbs End,

"It was the station in a quiet English suburb ......
Quiet, peaceful... and yet uneasy...
Long deserted... it's portals a gateway barred only the memory of what had been...

Lost in pre history , upon the site where now the station lies lay a mystic monument, and beneath caverns extended, by the candles... and which
across whose circle, light and

The caverns opened to boring progress, as a distant storm broke free.
and progress switched direction as the caverns became the shelter,
yet strange shelter proved it thus.. for the shelter sought justly wrath returned to the storm, and conjured portals greater than those that linked
the circle....

The storm abated, but with it the caverns purpose sinister atook. For it
was foretold that with fire and thunder in the hevans, the polluted grail and the plagues of demons and mighty sorcerers would wrath upon each other seek. In such event the worthy would in the event the caverns use, and fate decide, and upon the ancestors advice seek.

Lofty aims, lost as the caverns were invaded by those that sought not the purpose ascribed, and thus curses were brought upon the place to protect it. Possessions and illusions upon violators would them to madness drive, inanimate made animate, and energy thrown...

Such was pre history.....

By the modern era, such tales and ancient curse, wre nothing more than academic footnote, buried in the annals of some red brick tower...

In 1938 the tube lines were being extended, amongst them Elstree, Hobbs End, Aldenham Heath. None knew that line crossed the ancient site, and when line crossed, the thunderstorm overhead was not noticed in
tunnels below ground. But in plan, line now linked circle to crescent
and onward into the caverns!

WWII saw the rediscovered caverns converted for secret (radar) work
and bizzare experiments in both radar and communications work. Some claim results were sent as far as field as Manhattan, Norfolk, Phidelphia and beyond...

The tube extension was abandoned, the station below left unfinished

After the WWII, the site was until decomissioned in the early 1980's an RSG[1], a bunker of sorts...

And in 2000, the amusment park bought the bunker over which they sat,
and stripped it clean, to build for themselves a cutting edge 'spook' ride,
drawing in part on the myths of the area, and the now warped anicent tales.

During construction there was unease, and no person would in the caverns alone...

The new ride entitled simply 'Hobbs End' was built, and tested and first ran on 6th Jan 2006, a number that the press remarked upon when the 'incidents' brought forth changes to the ride, There were claims of inexplicable changes between shifts, of vanishing tools, and props that
flew.. All dismissed as hysteria, given the rides nature... "So scary it
give the builders nightmares!" One hack reviewer was tempted to say..

The former Station, was restored, to provide a loading area and queue,
although the cars, more like buggies than '38 stock.

Few can tell what will happen given the opening date...
"June 6th 2006"

"Hobbs End - The train now arriving..."
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have thoughts on this?
tomspindlerdesigns

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this sounds brilliant - what a great back story - I love it. Just by reading this back story I want to go on this ride. You have a great style of story telling - sounds like a Steven King novel!!! Keep posting.
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting how you used the fact that the ride being built on that site led to the bizarre occurrences...rather than taking a story and using it to enhance an attraction elsewhere...if that makes any sort of sense. What type of ride is this? It def sounds like an indoor coaster/dark ride to me...what will the climax of the ride be, like when the guests are at a point to where their doom is certain and then something happens and they are all rescued? Just curious as to what your plans are for it...sounds great though, count me in!
Sfan00

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="icandrawem2"]Interesting how you used the fact that the ride being built on that site led to the bizarre occurrences...rather than taking a story and using it to enhance an attraction elsewhere...if that makes any sort of sense. What type of ride is this? It def sounds like an indoor coaster/dark ride to me...what will the climax of the ride be, like when the guests are at a point to where their doom is certain and then something happens and they are all rescued? Just curious as to what your plans are for it...sounds great though, count me in![/quote]

It's unlikley I'll ever get this built in real life - (and as per this forums rules
posting it on here means it's fair game Smile )

It's a Dark ride rather than roller coaster (but that doesn't mean it's flat)
The special stuff (i.e the illusions) are superimposed over the original
ride.. Kind of like "Was that supposed to happen? Wink"

I actualy posted it on here, because someon expressed an interest in the
Studio 9 peice I had posted previoulsy ( concerning a fictional park)

I thought the group deserved to hear more on one of the attractions Smile
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well real or not, it still sounds great...maybe we could develop it further and create some concept drawings? Id love to hear more, plus i could use the practice.. Very Happy
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The forum rules are just to protect the designers in here. Quite frankly, since there are always more ideas than dollars... if you want your dream enough to actually build it, well then you'll probably be the only one who will do it. Generally, people chase after their own dreams only...
Sfan00

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="icandrawem2"]well real or not, it still sounds great...maybe we could develop it further and create some concept drawings? Id love to hear more, plus i could use the practice.. Very Happy[/quote]

Well my hints on this would be in respect of the ride 'surface' frontage to look into the architecture of Leslie Green and Charles Holden's earlier works. I am not sure how widely avaialble books about 'Undergorund' design are outside the UK.

In terms of actual ride scenes, you have 1 or 2 set peices from the original ride (which for the benfit of the back story would have been a fiarly typical demonic invasion of govt lab type affair.) before you reach the 'jump' point which propels the ride into the 'illusions' phase..

I hadn't really worked out set pecices for this yet, but one idea which would be essential to consider is the swarm of 'electric' jellyfish in
a partialy submerged substation... If you have seen old mecury arc rectfiers when active (not too closely) you will have some idea on which to
develop the swarm. The rest of the substation is de-facto 40's styling ( I am not sure how to do this accurately)

Other idea's I had considered where :
* A blasted crater - 'blast' here not only refering to the tye of vegataion but to the fact that it's seen conflict... ( Might wnat to look at Jeff Wayne Album artwork concernincg Red Weed ?)
* The troll cavern : - Inspiration HR Geiger...
* The Druid Temple:?

Does that give some more useful ideas?
Sfan00

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="icandrawem2"]Interesting how you used the fact that the ride being built on that site led to the bizarre occurrences...rather than taking a story and using it to enhance an attraction elsewhere...if that makes any sort of sense. [/quote]

Look at the publicity, backstory for Alton Towers Nemesis Smile
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: