Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

Roller Coaster Physics

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancinBelle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Roller Coaster Physics Reply with quote

I was poking around the library the other day, and I found a Discovery Channel school dvd called "Roller Coaster Physics". It's about 20 minutes long, but it explains alot about gravity, inertia, friction, and other stuff as they affect coasters. I knew most of it already, but they also discussed g-forces and their effect on riders. Apparently, the limit is 3.5 positive g's in the US. Is it different other places? Anyone else seen this dvd?
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my knowledge, anything over about 3.0 g's starts to cause motion sickness / blackouts in a certain percentage of the population. So coasters are generally limited to about 3.0 g's. Simply put, people don't like them when they're any more than that.
DancinBelle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a split-second blackout on Silver Star at Europa Park in Germany. Shocked
MartinJ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Higher forces also increase risk of heart attacks.

I haven't seen the DVD. But, I have watched a few shows about roller coasters on Discovery, History, and Travel channels. Alas, the loss of cable / satellite has kind of cut my viewing (PBS just doesn't have that many show).
Thriller

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, there are dozens, if not hundreds of coaster going up to 5 G, en the current record is 6-point-something. It's all a matter of duration, though. 5 G seems to be the standard maximum for many manufacturers...
MartinJ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if I rode one of those, I might not be getting off the ride. I'd be like the guy that had his heart attack on Everest, a new member of the blue man band.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be wrong about this, but there's a difference between instantaneous G's and sustained G's. A fighter pilot can withstand a tremendous amount of instantaneous G's but only 5-7 sustained G's without blacking out.
MartinJ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, instantaneous forces usually doesn't do harm. But, it will still put a huge stress on the heart. What happens is that the increased gravity forces the blood to collect at the "lowest" part, typically the legs and feet. This deprives the brain of the blood it needs. So, the heart is told to pump harder. The sudden loss of pressure in the upper extremities can also loosen the cholesterol plates, causing a stroke.

Pilots black out because their hearts can't keep up with the demand for extended periods. The brain loses too much oxygen and starts to shut down. The flight suits they wear actually help them sustain more forces than a normal person. The suit is pressurized in the legs, preventing the blood from collecting down there.

Now, a normal middle aged, non exercise freak guy like me would just about die on some of the big rides. Mission Space just about took me out the last time on the intense simulator.
Thriller

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The heart can actually take quite a lot if we're talking about acceleration spikes. After all, blood has a weight, meaning inertia. Very short periods of acceleration do not affect the heart and blood system that much. Sitting down on a sofa quite fast is said to result in up to 7 G's, en people have been known to survive car accidents with a spike of dozens of G's
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: