Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

The Wrong Way

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loric

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: The Wrong Way Reply with quote

I must say, I was reading this article about Toy Story Mania (which has lovely images and information btw)

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/10/business/media/10ride.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1&hp

and came across this line...

“Guests are pretty much no longer interested in being passive viewers,” Mr. Rasulo said."

...and immediately millions and flashing lights and warning signs began blaring in my mind. "Wrong way!" "Danger Will Robinson! Danger!" "Abort! Abort!" "All Your Base Are Belong To Us!" And other such signs of danger...

Am I the only one who sees so much in that statement?

I mean, how long has theater been around with its generally passive audience? Yes, i have been through -extensive- theater history and theory courses and we can have plentiful discourse of audience engagement techniques through the ages in the formal theater - but generally speaking the audience has been passively involved in the experience.

Film, television.. not exactly a fading obsession. People like it. People are voyeurs.

People like art, people like the shared experience.

Ugh.. So much wrong with that statement... what do you think?
Loric

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And an interesting conversation point - while this article on Toy Story Mania has come out from a major news outlet with gobs of high end multimedia, in what is seemingly a larger push from the mouse toward an opening day media hypa - the mouse is actually getting the most buzz over it's American Idol attraction it just announced two days ago, to open at the end of the year.

A passive voyeuristic experience, that thing no one wants anymore, has everyone in a tizzy and is the talk of every news channel getting the attraction headlines nearly everywhere. Th potatohead AA? Buried a few pages back in the tech section if its lucky.
DancinBelle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, seeing as the Haunted Manision and Pirates of the Caribbean are still super popular, I think people like to be viewers. I think they need a few things with active involvement, but not everything. Buzz Lightyear is pretty popular too, that's probably where they're drawing this conclusion.
Loric

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the same vein though, choose your own adventure books and even interactive movies have never performed as well as their pasive counterparts. This statement seems so out of touch and misguided - and to be perfectly honest seems to bespeak wrong direction the parks resorts is taking under Jay Rasulo.
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I do enjoy the occasional interactive experience(especially the shooting-style dark rides because im so darn competitive), most times I just want to sit back, relax, and enjoy the show. With all the controversy over the new ending to SSE it makes you wonder whether some rides are worthy of interactivity. To me thats just one of those rides where I can just go to chill out.
DancinBelle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all theme park rides are interactive to a certain degree. The Ghost Host is speaking to [i]you[/i], not another character in a movie. You are walking up to these things. If it's done right, a ride is an immersive experience, with your reactions being interactive. You get caught up in the story. I'll be at WDW in April, so I'll get to see the new SSE, but I won't form any judgements till then.
MartinJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the definition of interactivity that's being used is really affecting the action that takes place in the attraction. You could say that every ride is interactive in that you have to get into the ride vehicle. You can also affect the action, by taking too long to get into a vehicle (stop the ride while they stuff you in).

I do think that not all attractions need to accept the feedback of the guests to make the experience enjoyable. Now, making those experiences memorable for the visitor is worth the time and effort.

For me, a memorable ride is one that completely immerses you in its universe. (I'm leaving out story since two rides that I really like don't have one: Haunted Mansion and Pirates... at least they didn't start out that way.) You don't need to interact with the universe to enjoy it. You want to be entertained and enjoy the ride.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say entertainment is strictly a passive activity. Let me defend that statement by saying that entertainment is not the same that as enjoyment. You can have fun while playing baseball. You aren't being entertained, though. The spectators might be. But, the player isn't. You can also be entertained and not really enjoy it (ever visit that one family member and keep looking at the watch until you can escape?).

Once you separate the two, you can sit back enjoy the show.

I'm not saying that attractions can't have any interactivity in them. I've been known to enjoy the occasional shooting gallery here and there (to infinity and beyond). And, yes, the one attraction idea thread that I started a while back involves interacting with the guests (in order to scare them).

So, it looks like I want to be in the kick back and relax boat to break up the twenty mile jog you get in a day at the parks.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: