Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

Check-in Time!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loric

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Check-in Time! Reply with quote

What's everyone up to?

I'm still being college educated, and i still want this board to stay a thriving community so that means everyone needs to be all up in everyone else's business Wink

In brief for me: Theater show, scenic design assistant, opens April.

The show i'm working on starts formally doing production meetings next week. The design itself is finalized (yay!) and we have a swimming pool shape - it's big (yay!) and tentative plans for a giant chandelier-like structure with water/shower elements (yay!) Tomorrow i get to repaint the model. Oh the joy of things not going right the first time - at least it was the model not the actual set. That's why we build models Smile

Nate just finished things with Disaster - anything new? Holly was busy, but didn't mention what, did she? Are we any closer to that new Eddie article? Is anyone else around?

PS: Everyone has to come see my show when it opens. Living in another country is not an excuse.
tomspindlerdesigns

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there - update on me then. I am still at college in 2nd year studying set and costume design - thankfully my tutors fully support my decision to enter into theme park design so they are letting me base on my projects on the concept that they could be a theme park attraction whether this be ride / show or general theming.
Am designing the set for a childrens story called Rose and her Bath and am just starting out on a large scale version of Life of Pi which is touring down to Cornwall so this involves lots of large puppets including tigers, zebras, birds and fish.

I am also starting a chain of horror houses around London, the first being on 26th April and have finally found my venue which is an amzing building in Camden and needs very little doing to it in terms of scenic items which is great seeming as I dont have hardly any money. I have all my actors aswell which is great so now just starting to get hold of lights sound and costume out of my own pocket.

I am also waiting to hear back from Thorpe Park for a job in the entertainments group and helping out in the warehouses painting and building which should be good. I am hoping this will give me a behind the scenes look at a theme park and how they run so that I know all the backstage stuff aswell as the design outlook.

Hope everything is going ok with you all and are living your dreams!
Tom
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lets see...right now Im doing some freelance design work for a company in Tampa (Oak Island Entertainment Group) and I am preparing some construction drawings for an attraction they are building in another state. That along with doing some other small work for a seasonal attraction in NC...I hooked up with a local production company a few weeks ago that needs concept art done for a film or music video they are producing, not sure yet on that though...

I am avidly trying to make new contacts in the business and a couple weeks ago I met a few people from Universal so that was exciting...

Im getting married in Orlando in 3 weeks so that means ill be going park hopping i think the day before the wedding, ill keep all you central florida people in the loop if you wanna join...

I think we are moving to central florida in the summer, possibly earlier just depends on the job situation...Everyone tells me I will have better chances if i already live there so we are gonna make the jump...well thats all i got for now, everyone take care!
DancinBelle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still stuck in high school, less than 4 months to graduation! Yay! I registered for college last night. I'm also putting the final touches on my science fair project. I'm currently planning my upcoming week in Disney over spring break, I can't wait! I'll also be getting a job at Busch Gardens Williamsburg for the summer.
MartinJ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What am I doing? I'm embarrassed to say that I'm sitting up here in sub zero weather. Still writing software that handles health care claims and billing. Fun stuff.

Oh, wait. At home, I try to spend a little bit of time getting the rust off my drawing skills. I got a big block of Sculpey to practice the three dimensional skills. And about a hundred projects around the house (painting... the walls, building... walls).

I am planning on being at WDW next weekend. Hey, icandrawem, I'll be in Seffner (Brandon area) Thursday afternoon next week. Are you doing anything that evening? I would say in the day, but I'm sure I'll be tired from driving.
Loric

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like everyone and their Grandma is going to Disney World lately!

The Builder's Convention is in town this week and things are packed. I'm going with some friends just to hit a few highlights on Sunday (Epcot is opening a few new things in Innoventions and might have the newest bits of Spaceship Earth finalized by then).

Why Brandon? That's like 15mins from me. I goto USF. U-Stay-Forever Wink

And from the way you folks ar talking, there's apparently tons of companies right around here I had no idea existed. Tell me more Smile

I really need to hunt down a sumer job or internship. That way i can prep my portfolio then finish my final 6 credit hours in the fall then apply for grad schools in the spring.
MartinJ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why Brandon? That's where the girlfriend lives. So, that's where I go when I make it down to Disney's Tropicaland. This time, we're going to be visiting the parks on Friday and Saturday with friends I'm toting along from sunny Michigan.

I know the feeling about forever school. I took a loooooong time getting my degree. Of course, it takes a while when you take one class at a time so that you can afford to live. But, hey. I only owe about two grand on the student loan.
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey martin, I wont be down there next week...I am still living in the Carolinas for now...I wont be down until the first week of March. But if I was there Id def meet up! Brandon is right off I-75 right?

Loric, I dont know alot of companies around Tampa except for the guys i do work for...Oak Island is kind of a 2-part company...One side makes and sells products/props for the haunt industry, and the other side builds attractions, primarily haunts and Christmas shows. As far as I know they build the haunts for Busch Gardens Tampa and a few other theme parks. Their portfolio is on their site www.oakislandgroup.com
MartinJ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's just off I-75, right near the I-4 interchange. I actually go into Seffner which is the first exit on 4 to the east of 75. But, we like going into Brandon for dinner and shopping (Smokey Bones and Barnes & Noble, mmm).

I would say anyone that wants to, to meet up at Disney. I can just hear the girlfriend, "who are these strangers and why did you invite them?" ("They might be strange, but I can definitely say they ain't stranger than me," is my answer.)
Loric

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's funny, maybe there's some way I know your girlfriend. I have some degree-seeking actress friends who work at smokey bones. I'll pass the word along to be extra nice to folks who just came from Barnes and Nobles who are on their way to Disney.

Did you know they opened a Borders on the other side of the mall?

Come to think of it, how long has it been since you've been in the area? It's really grown up a bit. The mall itself did some nice renovation you might want to check out, plus a cheesecake factory. Yumm-o!

Also, I-4 is so much better now that it's 3 lanes all the way from 75 to WDW.
MartinJ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was down there for Christmas. Before that was Thanksgiving. I'm down there at least once a month. Your friends don't have to do anything special. I don't think that I've ever left there unhappy.
DancinBelle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm counting the days till I get there in April. I have everything planned, reservations made, and now I'm bored cuz there's nothing to do, and it snowed this morning, not what I wanted to see. Confused It's less than two months, less than two months, less than two months...
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where are you guys staying?! my fav is the wilderness lodge, i love their pool and hot springs. very relaxing.
MartinJ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll be at the Coronado Springs. I like the pyramid Smile.
DancinBelle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're trying the Caribbean Beach Resort, with 4 day Parkhopper passes! Very Happy I'm getting so impatient, I want to go now!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: