Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

Heartige/Science themed attractions?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sfan00

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Heartige/Science themed attractions? Reply with quote

Hi,
I was wondering if any of the group here have expereinces both bad or good concerning the design of themed attactions which exist to support Heratige ,Science or Education efforts..

These aren't the big blockbuster attractions of a theme park, but careful well planned Audio Visuals, walk through and visitor centres, that aim to educate as well as entertain.

How would the "armchair-designers" on here take on projects like ?
"Cargo To World - Discover the history behind the Port of London."
"Taming the Storm - The history of meterology" for example?
DancinBelle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Epcot is a pretty educational park. The Hall of Presidents is educational/heritage.

The Port of london one sounds like it could be really cool. Have a vehicle like the POTC boats, and each room be a different time period at the same docks.

The Meteor storm could be a motion simulator where you go into the storm, similar to Star Tours and Body Wars.

Hope that helps!
Very Happy
MartinJ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an old person here. And, I'm going to throw out an example of something done badly. There was this place call Auto World here in Michigan ([url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AutoWorld[/url]). It was supposed to be something to talk about the history of the auto industry and was developed as a mix between museum (a lot of antique cars, signage, and historical displays) and theme park (dark rides, IMAX theater, ferris wheel, bumper cars).

The problem was that since those in charge fought over which side would be more dominant, the place struggled to be either.
Loric

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i support the idea to educate through entertainment.

My background is in theater and i dont think theater is merely spectacle. I feel it exists as a social platform, to move people, to express ideas, to convey ideas.

Thus, you entertain first and then figure out ways to educate your audience as you do so.

Sometimes you really have to delve into a topic to find out what is inherently entertaining in it, but there is always something. Even chemistry can be fun Smile Start with the basic showmanship and build out from there.
Sfan00

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Loric"]Well, i support the idea to educate through entertainment.

My background is in theater and i dont think theater is merely spectacle. I feel it exists as a social platform, to move people, to express ideas, to convey ideas.
[/quote]

had you come across the http://www.kinetictheatre.co.uk/ company?
(there used to be another group in the UK called the Molecule Science Theatre(?) )
MartinJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would've been possible to educate through entertainment. Unfortunately, the investors were too interested in getting their personal agenda pushed to the front (the city had a hand in it, the county parks and recreation agency had a hand in it, a private foundation [Mott Foundation] had a hand in it, Six Flags had another hand in it). They didn't want to work together and let a single vision take hold. We ended up with something interesting that couldn't be advertised too well.

How do you sell the tourist public to come to a place that only has the one park? There just wasn't enough in that one park to bring people here more than once. There was no room for expansion. There were no other attractions within an hour's driving distance.

I believe that there is an adequate selection of attractions around here now. No. I wouldn't think to build a park in the heart of a dying city, not with the crime levels we've got. Rather, there is enough available land in rural areas that is close to other places to possible draw in visitors. And, I don't think that we need to celebrate the joys and wonders of automobile manufacturing right now. I can't see that drawing many people in. Not unless Disney decided to do a "Cars Land" up here (still not enough for an entire park, just an add-on to an existing one).

Thinking back, I remember visiting the place and it didn't take a full day to ride everything. That included watching the IMAX film they had (Speed). But, we sure did have a bunch of displays with someone explaining how life used to be like back in the 1800's. And plants. There were little placards all over that told how this plant couldn't be grown natively and that they used heating elements to make it possible.

Oh well. At least they tried.
Holly
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Port Canaveral... Reply with quote

I have heard that the Kennedy Space Center exhibits are pretty great... It is at least an hour from the Orlando attractions... been aroud long enough to gain reputation and audience... Plus the topic is one that interests all ages. Some of the best museums may be instructive... The best ones I know are the Indianapolis Children' Museum, Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago.. I have heard that the Exploratorium is good too. I am sick right now, so it is hard to put any real thought into the topic... but I just thought I would throw a few coals into the fire...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: