Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

Runaway show!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loric

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Runaway show! Reply with quote

I've come to commiserate! Cuz, misery loves company, or some such rubbish Wink

This is all meant in light hearted fun, no Debbie-downers need apply, but what does everyone do when it feels like the project they're working on seems to have gone awry?

There's heck, there's my handbag - let's run with it.

I guess what I find completely fascinating is the forward momentum right now. It's inescapable, but it's completely insane. Everyone is so excited and like flowing with ideas and energy, it's exhausting I tell you. I need a nap to keep up. It went from being a show that -might- have a pool/puddle/tub for the actors to splash in to being this massive thing with air hoses and bubbles and waterfalls and shower heads in chandeliers and aerialists on silks and a naked man flying down during the second act out of the sky - not to be confused with the birth of man at the top of the show (a naked man rising from the bubbly depths as zeus creates light).

And that's not mentioning the giant puppets. Those are new in the last 24 hours.

My head hurts. I need a cookie. So, yeah, my question, how does one stay sane through the deadlines and stresses of getting a show up and running?

I know i can't change what's happening - and it happens on bigger projects and on a bigger scale. My little woes are nothing compared toa wall built in the wrong place or something majorly wrong that puts a ride behind schedule by several months. How does one cope? Any hints? Advice?

Curiously waiting.

-Loric
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice is to enjoy the madness. The journey is the destination. Enjoy the journey. You're living your passion.

Nate
Holly
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep... enjoy the madness, hang in there... Smile
tomspindlerdesigns

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I feel like its all going crazy I go back to my inital excitment about the piece and re-discover why I wanted to do the piece in the first place - that normally boosts up my spirts !!!
Have fun with it and think about the end result and how great it will be.
Tom
steamboatwillie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From prior productions, I've found that chaos and madness can (and often do) lead to innovative and creative ideas. Plus, it sounds like you're working with a crew that's not shy about throwing ideas around -- which is awesome! Typically, I think it's best to let your scope go as grand as your imagination will take you and then begin to scale back your production as budgetary needs and available resources come into play... after all, it is Show Business -- not Show Art.

FYI: A show wouldn't exist without a deadline... it would just remain a string of hypothetical "what if's?" -- but when you embrace a deadline, a question is met with an answer and usually something wonderful is created out of nothing more than what was once only a passing thought. (Note: The same thing is true of a budget -- to some it's a setback, to others, it's a way to make the impossible possible...on a shoestring budget).

Lastly, I really think the other points are right on -- remember why you're involved to begin with, enjoy the moment and LOVE the process.
Loric

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay for weekends, i got some sleep and it seems far less crazy.

Plus a few small victories in the "what color paint to order" realm made me feel better.

Ya'll are gonna come see it even if i ordered the wrong color paint right? Wink

It should be pretty neat, even if it we eventually do scrap the actors and it's jsut a show with a pool and some puppets and a cool looking chandelier.
MartinJ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have date(s) for the show? Of course we'd like to come. Even if you did decide to paint everything bright green. Oh, and purple. Gotta have purple. Smile
Loric

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metamorphoses, Mary Zimmerman
based on the tales of Ovid
Theatre 2

DATES: Th Ap 3, 2008 � 8pm OPENING
Fr Ap 4, 2008 � 8pm
Sat Ap 5, 2008 � 8pm
Sun Ap 6, 2008 � 3pm

Wed Ap 9, 2008 -- 8pm
Th Ap 10, 2008 � 8pm
Fr Ap 11, 2008 � 8pm
Sat Ap 12, 2008 � 8pm
Sun Ap 13, 2008 � 3pm CLOSING

Link for the USF theater season:

http://theatreanddance.arts.usf.edu/default.asp?n=currentseason

Direct link to ticketmaster for the theater 2 venue:

http://www.ticketmaster.com/venue/107070

And the most recent show I did, same general role (assistant designer), to give you an idea of what style I work in:

http://db.arts.usf.edu/theatre/reader.asp?n=rashomonpix
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So paint everything chromakey blue or something, that way you can sell videos of the show and all of them have a different background scene...im joking...but in all seriousness, the show sounds really cool...i wish i could come see it. if im down here then, i will try my best. enjoy the chaos though because once its done, youll look back and realize how much those 20+ hour days are really worth! By the way i looked at the pics from that other show and good stuff. Do you designs the sets and backdrops or a little bit of everything like lighting etc? looks good! keep it up and im sure youll have no problem fitting in somewhere.
Loric

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've stuck to scenic, painting, props and build work - though because of my curriculum i've also done some lighting and costume work and done sound design too.

Last few shows i've been assistant scenic designer. I've sorta worked my way up from having a mostly finished design (and designer) needing an assistant to get it built, painted, finished, with props and etc..

Then the next show designing a whole portion of the set while a lead and another assistant tackled 2 other major portions (that's the last show you were looking at) but having the general look predefined for me.

However with this show I pretty much have a major creative voice in the overall look and feel - though i can definitely still be veto'ed by the lead designer - because that's how a University works Smile

I kinda worked my way up the ladder. It'd be nice to have done my own show all by myself, but most people don't get that in undergrad, and i've still got credit hours left to get after this semester, so who knows. I'm not even BFA, so getting as far as I've gotten is really being blessed.
Loric

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if anyone was still interested, the show is nearly ready to open.

A few quick snaps of how it has come along in the last few weeks. First the pool had to be assembled:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-5/1179349/MKJSM-100_0904.JPG

That photo makes it look so tiny, funny how that works, eh? Then it got the basic paint (upper levels still not installed)..

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-5/1179349/VJJEY-100_0927.JPG

And then the actors got to start rehearsing with the silks (still missing levels)

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-5/1179349/NDQNI-100_0930.JPG

I'm liking the way it is turning out. There is more going in and a projection screen too, but i dont have photos of that yet. I like it. I feel very amatuer even showing you guys this, but i figure it's the start of my little career, right? Might as well enjoy it.
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow looks really good! I really wish I could come see the show i bet itll be great. Now that pool, is that a PVC liner and did you have any seams to seal? Did you mention in an earlier post that it will have fountains or jets also? What will the projection surface be for the projector? I would ask more but I dont wanna bug you with too many Qs. This just looks really fascinating to me, probably wouldve had a ball working on it hah. Amateur or not, great job so far...hope everything goes well with it.
Loric

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually a pond liner. There were similar sized pool liners, but we wanted the black. It is a series of pieces seamed together - it came that way, we didn't want to try and do it ourselves. A failure of the membrane would be tons of money in repairs for the theater itself.

One problem we ran into that other groups who have done the show seemingly haven't is with the tiers of the pool that we wanted. The liner fit the form, but has many folds - and again, we didn't want to cut it or have to seam it. If the show had a longer run, we'd probably have cut it to fit perfectly. Instead the decision was made to create a series of roll/folds that mimic the look of fabric. It makes little ridges at the shallowest part which the audience can see, but it looks like a fabric ruffle or pleat and ties well into the look of the show. It keeps actors from worrying about a fold catching their toes (people shuffle when they walk in water) and minimally invades the acting space.

There was originally a little waterfall effect that comes out from rear box shape where the swim out is. That got put on the "if we have time" list, and i've been off the last few days, so it may or may not be there.

I did spend a good part of a day assembling PVC to make a bubble effect for the lowest level of the pool. Essentially a simple frame that runs along the edge of the lowest tier. It has an air canister attached and theorhetically creates a nice effect. I haven't seen it with the air canister going, but i ran various tests to see where the PVC should have the holes for the air as distances that made the right look. It should work, in theory. I go in tonight briefly before a midterm exam and will find out.

This weekend was lighting load-in. The lead designer over me is also the lighting designer, so that's how i got the weekend off. The set was painted fairly neutral to let it change color with the lighting to create new locations. The main projection screen in the rear is using a pair of pani projectors to cross fade between photo images of locations. The idea is that the projection establishes the location and then the set itself is lit to make it match.

I'm sure when i go in tonight there will be plenty of surprises. Hopefully the theater-gnomes came in and finished some of the work for me Smile
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the PVC cannon, is that gonna be mounted just under the surface of the water so it shoots a burst of air up to make a splash effect?
Holly
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great Smile
Loric

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Smile

The pvc is running a bubble effect, not a canon. Think bubbly hot tub or cauldron.

It works now too. Here's hoping it keeps working.

I'm sort of at the end of my work on the show. Everything is painted and built. The masking needs work, but the lighting designer is the lead designer on scenic so he's going to tweak that as he does focus and touch up.

I made an awesome lantern. Had to wire a faux-flame into it and install a hidden switch and mount the battery and electric components (who knew faux-flames had circuit boards?) in the base, then paint it. I wouldn't say it's a professional piece, but not bad considering I had to rig it up in an hour and the one everyone thought we had pulled from stock or purchased was MIA.

I really want to see the lighting, but i've got a midterm to study for and take tomorrow. Maybe i'll go in and see how focus is coming after the test. I finally got to see the pani projectors turned on, but just with their focus grid stuff. I'm very interested in seeing how the images look on the screen we built and how they work with the set.
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice, send us a pic of that lantern Id love to see it. Building something like that from scratch (like the lantern in your case) is one of my favorite things to do. When someone says, "hey can you make this work?" im all on it usually...And I just assumed it was a cannon cause i like things that blow up haha.
Loric

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things went pretty well tonight. It's starting to come together. I took tons of photos, but here's some of the better shots of rehearsal (lights and some FX working, no costumes yet).

Here's the fog on the water that is still not always cooperating - it has to go under a lip from the swim-out (hidden entrance in the pool) and if the air circulation is the wrong way it wont flow.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-5/1179349/metatech01.jpg

The projector is used to differentiate scenic locations, time of day, etc.. it's not literal though.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-5/1179349/metatech02.jpg

Here's one of my fave backdrops, for king Midas.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-5/1179349/metatech03.jpg

And his poor daughter Sad

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-5/1179349/metatech04.jpg

The silks are used some for silk-dance/work, but also they function to create areas of the set or dramatic effect. The storm which kills Ceyx.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-5/1179349/metatech05.jpg

The giant puppet of Hades that one of the more amazing costume students has made. It's not even finished and looks this good already. Oh, fog also pours out of the pipe ends of the platform that is by his head.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-5/1179349/metatech06.jpg

More silk.. Myrrah struggles with her demons.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-5/1179349/metatech07.jpg

And the pool of stars that Midas seeks to break his curse.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-5/1179349/metatech08.jpg

Finally, the world's greatest lantern!

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-5/1179349/metatech09.jpg

Enjoy Smile I really hope it all comes together and the glitches all get worked out. Kinda sad that the show will only run for such a short time.
MartinJ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you and your crew have done an awesome job. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you come up with the future. I think you're going to go far.
Loric

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Martin, I certainly hope I make it somewhere Wink Right now i've decided the toughest part mentally isn't the crazy schedules and deadlines, but rather looking at other people's portfolios. Someone told me the average age in WDI is like 35. Makes me feel a lot better about how far i've gotten - i've been wanting to work in themed attractions for almost 10 years (go look in the archives, i started posting here at 16) and it looks like i've got at least 10 more years to get it all sorted out!
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow yeah man its looking great! 35 huh? well thats good to know i guess, i still have about 9 more years hah, but you know how time flies. Im in the process of building a website so i can actually have an online portfolio for my work now...going to a website is gonna be alot easier for people to look at my work rather than me emailing out a bunch of large files...it may be a while before its launched because im such a perfectionist sometimes...anyways Loric, keep it up man, youre doing great.
MartinJ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, 35 is the "average" age? I guess your ages help my age form the average Smile. I'm just glad you didn't say that 35 was pushing it.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob (Loric) - you're well on your way, my man!! Well done, young jedi!

Nate
wokcreative

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great! I like the use of projection and the silks especially.
wokcreative

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, that whole age thing... Maybe it's still not too late for me... time will tell.......................
Loric

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliments and encouragement.

I went a little camera-happy at dress rehearsal tonight. Took 200+ photos of a 2-hour show.

Once i sort through them (the costume designer asked for a copy of tonight's photos by midday tomorrow) i'll try to post a few highlights.

The costumes really made it all feel like it had come together. Tomorrow we fix the chandelier - my least favorite scenic element - or at minimal we attempt to fix it and then scrap it if we can't make it work.
Loric

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i've been bad and not posted any photos since the rehearsal ones. My photos didn't come out great - overexposed because I wasn't paying attention to the camera settings and letting it run on auto. Lesson learned: Photography isn't easy.

Good news is that tonight is the real photo-call (the actors stay after the show to work with a professional photographer to get photos of the show for the design team).

I went and saw it tonight too, surprisingly large audience for a straight play that's not Shakespeare, as opposed say a musical (which always draws crowds).

Anyone happen to come see it..? Smile

I think from this show i've learned a few things, primarily that I'm far more into the artistic aspects of design then the technical. I can draft fine, I'd really rather be doing concept art and modeling. The good news is that the art department has opened up their summer classes to non-majors, so I can move more in that direction as i finish up my credit hours. The theatre program here is well geared toward technical development and sort of assumes you're already artistically talented - i've sort of fudged my way through thus far and want to really beef up my skills. I want to not be intimidated by big ideas in my head that might be difficult to render.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: