Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

Production design

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancinBelle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Production design Reply with quote

I've watched enough movie behind-the-scenes documentaries to know that production design is awesome. Is there a similar job in themed attractions (I'm pretty sure, but is it called something different?), and what degree would one need in college? It looks fascinating, artistic but no drawing!! Very Happy
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im right there with you on that, wouldnt that be a great job? Having the responsibility to design the overall look of a film, wow. I watched the behind the scenes of POTC: At Worlds End a few weeks ago and Rick Heinrichs does some incredible work. Building a pirate ship inside an airplane hangar haha thats nuts!! Im no expert, but if I had to guess I would say that youd start out in theater, maybe like set design or art direction....Loric is in the theatre/set design arena so maybe he would know more about working towards being a production designer.
tomspindlerdesigns

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there, I'm a set and costume design student. Most of my class wants to go into theatre ( me wanting to go into theme park design ) but there are a couple of girls who want to go into film production / design.
We had an art director come into our college a couple of weeks ago that has just finished on 10,000 BC and a new pixar movie and he said that being on a course like design for theatre is one of the best courses to be on if you want to enter into the film and televsion design area! This was because most of the students would have a design mind instead of a more theoretical mind like say a film studies student would have.
However if you were wondering about the drawing side - he has loads of drawings and looked as though he was always drawing up his ideas to present so I think that is a big part of it.
Something where you might not have to draw which is really fun is to become a set dresser where you onto the sets once they have been built and make it look authentic and ready to film.
Hope that was of some sort of help.
Tom
DancinBelle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I like making sure details are all perfect, so that sounds like my kind of things. I'm also really good with administrative stuff, and now my dad is suggesting healthcare administration! Confused No thanks! He's in that, so I know why he said it, but no way. I'm getting really good with AutoCad, and my teacher has offered to give me some extra classes so I can get certified this year! I'm going to go to a junior college for two years, so what courses would I sign up for for set design?
tomspindlerdesigns

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The course that I am on is called Design for stage. That pretty much covers any design for performance though and you can lead your course in any direction that you want if you have good tutors - for example my college knows that I want to do in the direction of theme park design so now they steer all of my projects in that direction.
Another good course if you want to go into set dressing or more detailed work is to go onto a props course - we have one at my college and the stuff they do is amazing and their style of work changes on a day to day basis keeping it really fun and the students learning new skills all the time.
Another course is Scenic Art which is where you paint the sets and put the detail all the surfaces whether this be a broken down wall or a side of a ship that is supposed to look like it has been under water for years.
All of these course are great - and much better than administration lol.
Good luck and have fun with it. Its a great proffesion to be in whatever strand you enter into.
Tom
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I wish I had more experience in scenic painting. I love building something brand new and making it look a thousand years old, or burnt, or what have you. We build this "gothic cathedral" type scene for the attraction i do some work for and the guy that does our latex and makeup did all the foam carving and scenic painting and he did an outstanding job. Take a look here http://www.spookywoods.com/gallery/2007/Gothic_Horror/index.htm

Its hard to makeout some of the detail but if i can find any better pics ill link to them as well.
MartinJ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it when everyone pays extreme attention to details. If there's something not quite right, it tends to stand out. Take, for instance, the Tower of Terror. There is one thing wrong with the lobby. Most people will miss it.

Everything in the room is covered in dust and cobwebs. Great. We've gotten the impression that this room hasn't been taken care of in a long time. So long, in fact, that the plaster has started to fall from the wall (we can see the lathing in the upper regions). The problem? There's no plaster on the floor. Where in the heck did it go? Do the maids only come by to pick that up and leave everything else behind?

Like I said, it's the one thing I find wrong in there. (Sorry about hijacking the thread.)

Back on topic. I think the photos you linked to are great.
tomspindlerdesigns

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol good point - love the fact you notcied that - never realized myself - was probably too scared!!
nice photos by the way!
tom
DancinBelle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My counselor said to take general studies at the community college, and go ahead and talk to UCF about which credits they'll acceot, and what classes to take. This might be complicated, but I'm willing to do what it takes. Anyone have some more advice?
Holly
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay, UCF! lol... A lot of the designers in my department either have a theatrical or graphic design background... Theatrical is better because you have more understanding of space, sightlines, materials, fabrication, etc. Most theatre programs have a set design focus that you can get into. Design for theme parks is somewhat analogous to film it would seem. From what I have heard, the Production Designer for the Harry Potter films, Stuart Craig, is over at Universal Creative helping them get the theme park designs together. The materials are different but I would guess that the basic creative processes and principles are the same...
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That he is Holly...so theres no doubt that the wizarding world of HP will be incredible. I was watching an interview with him and Scott Trowbridge on YouTube a few weeks ago, back when Scott worked for universal, he is now at WDI i think. I cant wait too see the finished product. I have an interview with Universal next week, that would be a great project to be a part of for sure...
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: BUMP! Reply with quote

Back on the subject of production design, has anyone seen the new film version of Sweeney Todd? I was watching some of the special features last night and its incredible how they created such a beautiful 19th century London. If youve seen the movie you know what style it is, and I loved it (the sets) when i first saw it. Its def worth checking out for that! Now I wanna go see the musical if it ever comes around.
DancinBelle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen that yet, but it won the Oscar for artistic design (production design).
Loric

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen Sweeney Todd the movie, but I have seen the stage musical.

I hear the movie doesn't have the chorus numbers from the musical - is this true?

Because the chorus, to me, seemed to be a strong component in the overall presentation. They acted as narration and sort of an omnipotent force that told the viewer what was going on as well as leading people's judgment.

It's hard to be sympathetic for Sweeney on his circumstances alone, certainly killing isn't the solution to the problem for most people, and the chorus functioned to establish that he was a sympathetic character. They lead the emotional path of the musical.
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i see what you mean, although i havent seen the stage version. As far as the music providing the narration, yes it did for the most part. If you cant understand the lyrics of the songs, then its really hard to follow whats going on. i dont think his original intention was to kill so many people, i think he got consumed with it once he started and ms lovett acted as a sort of conscience, for lack of a better term, to convince him that they (or she) could have a lovely life together if he went along with her plan. At first i guess you have some sort of sympathy for him because if his situation, or maybe you dont...But i claim to be no film critic, i just enjoyed the visuals this one had to offer. And I love some of the musical pieces as well. I dont know how they match up to the pieces from the stage version, but I do know that Sondheim adapted the music from the stage to the screen.
Loric

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the opening of the play/musical I managed to find on the web.. I don't think this song of any of it's variants throughout the play, which in my mind define the emotional arc to the audience, made it into the movie.

----
Prologue

As the audience enters, an organist takes his place at a huge eccentric organ to the side of the stage and begins to play funeral music. Before a front drop depicting in a honeycombed beehive the class system of mid-19th century England two gravediggers appear, carrying shovels, and begin to dig a grave downstage center. As they dig they disappear six feet into the earth, leaving piles of dirt on the upstage side.

At curtain time a police warden appears, looks at his watch, hurrying them. Two workmen enter. They pull down the drop. The deafeningly shrill sound of a factory whistle. Blackout.

The lights come up to reveal the company. A man steps forward and sings.

MAN:
Attend the tale of Sweeney Todd.
His skin was pale and his eye was odd.
He shaved the faces of gentlemen
Who never thereafter were heard of again.
He trod a path that few have trod,
Did Sweeney Todd,
The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.

ANOTHER MAN:
He kept a shop in London town,
Of fancy clients and good renown.
And what if none of their souls were saved?
They went to their maker impeccably shaved
By Sweeney,
By Sweeney Todd,

(A blinding light cuts down the stage as an upstage iron door opens. Two men enter. They carry a body in a bag, tied at both ends with rope. They are followed by a woman carrying a tin canister marked "Flour." They walk to the edge of the grave and unceremoniously dump the body in it. The woman opens the canister and pours black ashes into the hole. This action covers the next verse of the song)

COMPANY:
Swing your razor wide, Sweeney!
Hold it to the skies!
Freely flows the blood of those
Who moralize!

SOLOISTS:
His needs were few, his room was bare:
A lavabo and a fancy chair,
A mug of suds and a leather strop,
An apron, a towel, a pail and a mop.
For neatness he deserves a nod,
Does Sweeney Todd,

COMPANY:

WOMEN:
Inconspicuous Sweeney was,
Quick and quiet and clean 'e was.
Back of his smile, under his word,
Sweeney heard music that nobody heard.
Sweeney pondered and Sweeney planned,
Like a perfect machine 'e planned.
Sweeney was smooth, Sweeney was subtle,
Sweeney would blink and rats would scuttle.

{The men join in singing, voices overlapping, in a gradual crescendo)

Sweeney was smooth, Sweeney was subtle,
Sweeney would blink and rats would scuttle.
Inconspicuous Sweeney was,
Quick and quiet and clean 'e was,
Like a perfect machine 'e was,
Was Sweeney!
Sweeney!
Sweeney!
Sweeeeeneeeeey!

(TODD rises out of the grave and sings as the company repeats his words)

TODD AND COMPANY:
Attend the tale of Sweeney Todd.
He served a dark and a vengeful god.

TODD:
What happened then well, that's the play,
And he wouldn't want us to give it away,
Not Sweeney,

TODD AND COMPANY:
Not Sweeney Todd,
The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. ..

---

And then it starts into the dock/boat scene, which I hear is where the movie starts.
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you got it! that was def not in the movie.
Loric

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww, that's sad..

I guess it can work - i just think it would be stronger with the chorus pieces though it'd be hard to stage them for film.
Holly
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was fine without the opening number... They brought you immediately into the world of London and the world that Tim Burton & crew created, so you were immediately immersed. I think that they didn't want to tip thier hand too much at the beginning of the film, because the whole middle act of the film centers on how he dealt with his clients -- and everything that they say in that opening song is shown on the screen in extreme detail (in a way that would be probably be difficult to show on stage). They can emphasize how neat and clean he is by doing a close-up of him cleaning his razors, for example... They seemed to focus more on the songs that showed what the characters were thinking and feeling... which I think worked well enough.

The tough part for me was that the character of Sweeny was hard to sympathize with, and you can't really sympathize with the female lead either. From the second you first see Sweeny on the dock, he is already angry and hates the world... By the time they finally showed why he was angry, I was thinking, "Really? That's why he is angry, thinks people are scum and wants to kill? Really?" It was just hard to stomach how dark the movie got, with what the motives were for each character... Maybe Sweeny was spoiled and that's why he turned so rotten? I don't know...
Loric

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that prologue is "Ballad of Sweeney Todd" and apparently the many variations don't appear throughout the rest of the film.

They pretty much tell you what the story is on Todd. They happen pretty frequently in the early parts of the musical/staged version.

Also - is the insane asylum section cut? That's not the Ballad of Sweeney Todd, but heavily features the chorus, as the crazy people who escape - the whole city on fire song.
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well they briefly go into the insane asylum where the blonde guy (cant remember his name) poses as a wig makers apprentice to rescue joanna, who was put away by the judge. Nothing about a fire though, but the crazy girls attack the "warden" and you can only assume that they escape their cell right after...actually i wish they would have skewed off and shown them on a rampage around the city thatd have been fun. (this thread has gotten way off the beaten path hehe)
Loric

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The musical has the crazy people escaping and running around the city.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: