Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

Show Writing...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steamboatwillie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Show Writing... Reply with quote

Does anyone know anyone in the themed entertainment business who's involved in show writing? I've read some of the articles on the main page, and I was curious if anyone knows someone and more specifically, how they found their way into such a position.

Of course, as the story typically goes -- everyone has their own story of how they ended up where they are, nevertheless, it's always interesting to hear how people got somewhere, one way or another.

Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: . Reply with quote

Hey there -

Who is this, by the way? Will possibly?

Adam Berger got his start writing for "lies and smears" .... err... Eyes and Ears, the weekly newspaper publication for the Walt Disney World cast members. He then got sucked into a project at WDI and then went on to a highly successful freelance career. He wrote a bunch of great shows for us while he was at ITEC Productions. He's available through itsnotshakespeare.com.

Mike West (My Quest, Chief Creative Guy, as he calls himself) worked as a senior producer / and show writer at Walt Disney Imagineering for years. He worked in radio broadcasting and through a friend heard of a show writing position that opened up at Disney. He got hired on as a junior writer and worked for his mentor, Marty Sklar and then went on to work for WDI for some 25 years. He recently joined Universal Creative a year or so ago. Mike is a top notch individual with some wonderful stories to tell...not to mention an outstanding sense of humor!

Of course, there are scores if not hundreds of themed attraction show writers out there. Nearly every company worth its salt has at least one on staff. Many come from the movie industry. Others just wiggle their way in any way they can. And while no one way is the same, there's always an interesting story to tell about the journey and those they met along the way.

Nate
steamboatwillie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Nate,

Nope this is not Will, but Matt. I'm the NEWBIE IN SO CAL, ring a bell? Here ya go: (www.mattparkeronline.com), a little shameless plug/info...ahh those LA types...I know I know Smile

In hindsight, I suppose the username has no reference to me other than the fact that I had a pension for drawing endless Mickey Mouse doodles through my grade school years -- none of which were quite the masterpieces I'd hoped for, nevertheless, I suppose that's one reason why I'm more the writer, although I truly wish I could draw better. One of my biggest grievances in pre-production is not being able to execute storyboards well enough at the whim of my own hand-drawn skills.

Back to the subject at hand...

Adam Berger, I read his article on here. VERY interesting, actually got me "back into" the theme park industry as until then I didn't know a job even existed for show writers -- I thought I might be forever stricken from the industry with my limited drawing capabilities. I tried to check out that link, itsnotshakespeare.com...didn't work, do you know of an alternate?

As for Mike West, that is a pretty amazing to be mentored under Marty Sklar. A JUNIOR WRITER position sounds ideal. So here's my question:

For most creative positions, the artist needs some sort of book, reel or sample of their work. Do you have any idea what types of work aspiring show writers should prepare? My assumption is writing samples, but I'm curious if you or anyone has any specific insight.

In approaching companies in Los Angeles and Orlando, I imagine it's more or less very similar to the film industry, a lot of networking, but being that my contacts are limited in this industry, do you have any recommendations for getting in touch with the right people and getting a few minutes of their time?

Thanks so much,

Matt
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: