Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

Dine with a Disney Imagineer

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancinBelle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Dine with a Disney Imagineer Reply with quote

I made a reservation today, so I will get to have lunch with a Disney Imagineer!!!!!!!!!!!! It is limited to 8 guests, so it isn't huge. It's held in the Bamboo room at the Brown Derby in the Hollywood Studios. It's the 11th of April, if anyone wants to join. I read some reviews online, one group talked to Jason Surrell. I can't wait to see who I get to meet!!!! I am soooo excited, I can't wait!! Has anyone else done this before? Very Happy Very Happy
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that sounds cool, good for you! So how did you find out about this anyways? If i was gonna be in the area then i might give it a shot but i wont be down (as far as i know). Good luck, im sure itll be a good time.
DancinBelle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was mentioned in a guidebook, kind of a side note thing. I really want the Sorcerer's Apprentice, which is part of the Year of a Million Dreams thing, but that can't be reserved. It's a full-day tour with an Imagineer backstage all over. At least I can reserve the lunch thing!!!
Holly
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I think I just drooled on the keyboard... Have fun! I hadn't heard of the Sorcerer's Apprentice thing before... But then again, it's so hard to get the Year of a Millions Dreams stuff, or even catch a glimpse of the Dream Squad! Ah, well... I hope you have a great time Smile If you have any burning questions, you may want to write them down Wink
Loric

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been curious about these, but short of buying it out completely for myself (and perhaps a friend) i think i'd probably be completely obnoxious to any other "Normal" people trying to do the meal.

Plus, i dont think any Imagineer really wants to be locked in a small room with me.. I'm kind of umm.. tenacious.. with getting what I want.
wokcreative

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Writing down questions ahead is definitely a good idea. Be prepared. There were many of them attending the SATE conference when I was there in October and at one lunch, I ended up sitting with about 8 of them. I pretty much just clammed up, but it was fun just listening to them talk. (I did end up talking to a few of them at other times and all were extremely helpful). good people - nice of them to give their time at a lunch. Have Fun!!!

and tell us all about it!
DancinBelle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it was absolutly AMAZING!! I (and 7 other people) met with Eric Goodman, a Show Producer. After he described what he did, I realized it matched what I want to do. Very Happy I'll write more when I'm not so tired, did a huge show last week, check out the number I was in (it was a 2 hour show): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11NmaWqCspg
Holly
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome! Was that a group doing Irish step and another doing Scottish? I don't know much, but I have noticed there are different dance styles and I see both here... It looks like so much fun... Which group were you in?
DancinBelle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, one group was Irish and the other Scottish. I was in the Irish group, the group with colorful, sparkly dresses. I'm the one in the black and white dress. Glad you liked it, it was a really interesting look into how big shows run. Massive chaos!!! Other things made more sense too. Watching the lights change filters, etc (Loric makes more sense now too. Very Happy )
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So tell us all about this dining experience you had! I am eager to hear about it.

Yeah that Loric, I dont ever know what that cat is talking about haha (kidding!)
DancinBelle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all got to the Brown Derby at Hollywood Studios a little early. We were given a tour of the restaurant, its history, and how they themed it. We were lead into the Private Bamboo Room, where we met our Imagineer, Eric Goodman. He gave us his story. He's third generation cast member, his grandfather worked opening day at Disneyland, 1955. He described his job as a show producer. I then asked him how I could get his job. Very Happy He said he had worked in the parks for years prior, as they ususally promote from the inside. He said the only way positions open up nowadays is when someone retires. But, as the baby boomer generation ages, more positions will be opnening up soon. He was getting messages from Velcro all through lunch. He's working them, finishing up a thing for Innoventions on Velcro. Toy Story Mania was still 2 weeks from Guest testing, or we might have gotten try it, Sad . He was one of the main people who came up with the PhotoPass system, which is cool.

I'm tired, and starting to draw blanks. It was fascinating, but it's not all coming back to me at this moment. I'll add more when I get the chance.
MartinJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish you were able to remember more. Smile

I'll be doing this next month (February 23rd) at the Flying Fish Cafe. There's no mention of this online; you have to call and ask for it. I will see if I'm able to write down and remember stuff.
sthome12

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend is dying for this.
And since it's her birthday next month, me and my other friends setup one for her which will be a surprise gift for her on her exact birthday. Razz
janetbrand28

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow... how did it go???

http://www.schneeschuhe-laden.de
MartinJ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I got back home this last weekend. I'll try my hand at how the night went. First, we started off with a lovely appetizer...

Oh, I know. You aren't really interested in the food. To be honest, I'm not too wild about seafood, either (this was at the Flying Fish).

There were a total of five people there, four paying guests and the imagineer.

The imagineer that joined us was in a project management position and oversaw some of the initial building for the Studios, work on the cruise ships, and various attraction refurbishments (Spaceship Earth). She talked about one current project of hers: designing an interactive lobby area for the Orlando children's hospital. She did say that she was working on one project that she could not discuss at all. It's amazing how quickly she clammed up and lost all facial expression when asked about a rumored park (no, I didn't ask; I know better).

Most of the night was spent asking the imagineer about how to get into the business. We had a young gentleman about to graduate high school trying to figure out what courses he should take in college. One of us asked about career paths that could lead to imagineering for those already employed by Disney.

As for the actual mechanics of the night, there were brief introductions to kind of break the ice. The meal was supposed to last 2 hours. It started at 5:30. And, oddly, we didn't walk out of the place until after 8:30. I believe we could've talked all night if she didn't have to do anything else.

Feel free to ask me for other questions. I know that I've been slightly vague. I'm not sure if there are any topics she didn't want repeated. I'll do my best to answer, though.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: