Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

Idea time?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loric

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject: Idea time? Reply with quote

I want to make a themed area.

Well, we all do, i know, but I'd realy like to craft a concept and make a very high quality model - or at least attempt to.

I've been staring at WDI's models in various exhibits around the parks and have taken notes on how this or that is accomplished. I'm really excited about giving it a try.

I wonder though, what to build? My options are to do everything from scratch - which seems like it'd be the most educational - or to pick an idea or theme that i find interesting in others work and emulate it.

Any ideas or suggestions? Do i just kind of keep going until I find something that strikes me or do i assemble a random series of "rules" to get me started?
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally someone mentioned actually pooling our minds and skill together to create something "real"! thanks loric...i would like to help out with this if i may. are you thinking something in reality, or sci fi, natural/organic, whimsical...? i obviously cant help with building the model but at least we can all toss ideas around and do some sketches etc. But if you start from scratch, i guess start with an idea of a certain feeling or mood maybe? Or maybe something that interests you (besides themed attractions hehe) as a start...im just thinking out loud.
Loric

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i crawl out of bed this morning and the first thing on my mind - how does one go about discovering some unversal truth or grand design-worthy theme?

Hmm.. *checks under the bed* No, no ideas there. Now I gotta figure out something worth saying...
Silito

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, Loric CRAAAWLSS outta bed, then before arduously erecting himself, mutters: "brraaiinsss,...BRRAAIINNSSSSS", *checks under bed for brains* Zombie theme. Question
DancinBelle

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is a themed area you really want to see? If there's something that you would just love to see in person, maybe you can make a model and see if it would work. Think of somewhere you would want to go, make it something you're interested in. I'd love to make a model of the abandoned Beastly Kingdom for Animal Kingdom. Twisted, gnarly trees, fog, dark atmosphere, crumbling mideval and gothic architecture...
Holly
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loric checks under the bed for brains, but all he finds is an eccentric steampunk rock band (http://www.abneypark.com/) that spontaneously came to life when lightning struck a small pile of dustbunnies.

"Wow!" Loric says, "err... braaaiiinnns...I mean... electrified dustbunnies might give me indigestion... so could you help me find some really tasty braaaiiinnns? and a whole bunch of ideas?"

The eccentric rock band, said sure... they were tired of just lying around under the bed... and in exchange for their lives, maybe Loric would like to ride on the awesome airship they built during the night?
Silito

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL N' 3/4s, and what began as an intrepid search for brains, yields
insight to further potential.....

.....imagination has not begun with present capability, but has always existed in the vision of those who would create, focus not on current innovation alone, but on all that has ever been available in the manifestation of dreams.

-ode to genisis
Loric

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i thought some more about it and i'm thinking something in the futrist/futuristic realm.

I'm quite keen on the idea of a theme center and theme buildings.

Now i just have to come up with that theme to center upon. Wink

I spent some time today in the Epcot 25 gallery and giving a good long look to the models of Canada, American Adventure, and Germany. I think i can actually do that quality of model. It's a matter of planning it out and knowing where to make things painted surfaces (all of American Adventure's windows and molding for example) and where to make them physical (the steps for Canada, the tiny difference in elevation between the "water" and the side of the foutain bowl on AA).

Also, some insight on how to handle sightlines and 3 dimensionality, smaller forward objects are given a 360 treatment (lantern on Germany) while further back objects are only 1/2 or 3/4 really there.
Loric

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question:

Exposed edges appear to be cold press illustration board and/or plate bistrol, are they or are they commonly some other material?

Also, noticed a neat trick - indenting on the board (assume this would be done with a simple wheel) to achieve sidewalk lines. Never thought about that before.
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cold press seems like a logical choice...(and what is plate bristol, is that just a thicker version of normal bristol?) do you mean like the edges of a building or wall make it appear to be made from the cold press? it sure as heck beats the hideous edge of foamcore! I have also seen in rougher models, the use of coldpress to build up the terrain, like each layer would represent a certain topo elevation...but it a detailed model like youre wanting to make that might not be a good idea...although it may work as a foundation to lay a smoother material on top, that is if you have alot of elevation changes in the landscape. are there any pictures of these models online? i would like to check em out. come to mention, i was at Borders the other day and they had a book on the Weta workshop and about the props and models they created for the Narnia movies...and they had several pages in there on the models they built and went into some detail as to how they did the textures for the stones on the castle and the village. These were more than likely used in shooting the film because of the extreme detail. They talked about how they embossed these really large sheets with the stone texture and then used that to face the surfaces of the castle etc.

you could always do a "futuristic world showcase" haha. but i guess thats not very original...well now you got me wanting to build a model too, when will i ever find the time! Smile
Loric

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The models i was looking at in the gallery where, from what i could tell, made from some sheet material roughly the same width as illustration board. It was used for the walls and such.

Most notably where the American Adventure has those windows on the front that stick out a little with a ledge and everything, they were just painted onto a rectangle of the plate material and stuck on the front of the building, the molding, trim, window panes, etc.. all just painted onto it.

I was a bit surprised at the relative simplicity of it myself.

There's a book i've been wanting to pick up, probably going to order it from amazon today, that is all about model making for the theater.

About boards... from what I know illustration board only has 1 finished side, while plate bristol has 2. It's not exactly common, but bristol can come pretty thick, i think as thick as illustration board if i recall properly.

One of my old professors used to always tell us to get plate bristol and the woman at the art shop was always like "he means illustration board if you're only using one side."

I could be confused by him though Wink
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a page that has pictures of all the pavilion displays in the 25th gallery. http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=232126

It has some pics of the models as well.
DancinBelle

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny, I found that display room by accident, my little sister had to use the restroom, and I wandered off. I swear, that had to drag me out of there. Did you see the little clay Figment in the corner?

The models over at One Man's Dream in Hollywood studios are amazing. I LOVED the model from DisneySea, it was so detailed and intricate, and it looks like a fascinating park. I hope I can make it out there someday, I'd also love to see Mt Promethius. (I got the Imagineering book on the mountains).
Holly
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just jump right to the details, dontcha! Wink

Especially if you are detail-oriented, it's easy to get caught up in "How"... but don't forget to take the time to explore "What"...

>>Well, i thought some more about it and
>>i'm thinking something in the futrist/futuristic
>>realm.

If you are thinking futurism, maybe it might be useful to do some digging and look at ideas from other futurists... For example, the films "Logan's Run", "Bladerunner", etc. had some interesting production design. I know there are some other things I am not thinking of now... Also, there was some early concept art for Tomorrowland (ideas that didn't get built) which is pretty interesting (can be found in books -- possibly John Hench's, and some of the more standard imagineering volumes)... There was also a revision concept that came later for a "Green Tomorrowland" (lots of trees, etc.) -- I can't remember what that version of the concept was or where I saw it (lot of help I am today!). But it seemed an interesting vision of the future. There's a lot of ways to spin the future: utopic, dystopic, no trees, harmony with nature, living in space (or under the sea -- thanks, Horizons!), steampunk (the future that never was), etc. I think which type of future intrigues you most is a very personal thing Smile But you probably at least have a gut instinct already about the direction you would like to go...

Anyhow, once you come up with a concept, maybe the material won't be illustration board, but flexible acrylic!! Who knows Very Happy (Which reminds me... I believe Eddie Sotto had a curvaceous airport restaurant design that got built -- pretty futuristic as well -- see the link below). I think I think that's all my random thoughts for today, lol Wink Good luck!

http://www.laughingplace.com/News-ID503190.asp

P.S. Yes... I love the models at "One Man's Dream" too... Lots of really fascinating stuff tucked in there -- I also like the automata/early animatronics they put there... If ya'll haven't seen it and want to, maybe I can take a few photos next time I am there.
Loric

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holly, you're right, the 'what' really should come before the 'how'.

I've been sort of stuck lately in this mindset because the physical-artistic part has never come easy for me. Ever hear of the musical [title of show] ?

It's a musical about making musicals. Rather funny. The point (and i do have one!) is there is a song called "Die Vampire, Die!" in the show that pretty much sums up my relationship with expression through art.

Opening Lyrics:

"There are some people in the world who say that writing stories, or composing music or dancing sparkly dances is easy for them. Nothing interferes with their ability to create. While I celebrate their creative freedom, a little part of me just wants to punch those *bleep's* in the teeth. This song, I sing this song for you guys and for all the rest of us."

---

That tangent aside, think think think.. What to do, what to do? I like Utopia with the implication that we didn't uproot every tree and there is hope for the future. Not blind optimism, but real hope.

Think think think..
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: