Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

Practice pitch

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancinBelle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Practice pitch Reply with quote

I'm designing a ride, more for practice than for anything else. With my story and theme, I can pull screen shots from the movie of the ride vehicle for my practice ride, based on the Disney movie Emperor's New Groove. When I pull the imformation together, can someone tell me how a pitch is made? I spend so much of my time bored, when I should be doing something to keep me moving forward.
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say pitch are you talking about like pitching the idea to someone/group?
Holly
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't know the answer... but it sounds like it could be good practice Smile
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great images... great storyboards....a master plan. a cool logo. Professionally printed on vinyl and mounted on gator foam. Then Sell sell sell!

Nate
Silito

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, Nate is right,

Your selling of the idea is most important next to the integrity of the design itself. Just as you develop an attraction, you must also develop your tactics/strategy for conveying the idea as effectively as possible. I ALWAYS write down not only all the points I will cover concerning the subject, but also the tactics I will enlist to best appeal to the (exact/particular) people I will be engaging in order to get desirable results from the presentation. Your tactics should always be contoured towards who it is your are speaking to and the current situation of the industry and/or particular park and guests (this requires ah bit ah recon. Very Happy). Be sure to memorize your outline so you can deliver it as efficiently as possible and remember not to be repetative or too technical, concentrate more on the feelings the guests will have and the positive effect the ride will have on the park. Also, the more competent, capable and imaginative you are perceived to be, the greater the chances of your success and possible employment besides Wink .

Most often we should try and excite people about the idea, just as we are excited (but dont over do it, as that can suggest a lack of confidence and experience Surprised ). Spent a little time talking about it from the guests point of view and make sure that your idea includes something that will distinguish the guests experience in a new and profound way that other rides fail to offer. Do not think in terms of making your ride as good as the competition, instead, make your objective to design a greater concept that is yet unrealized. As it is stated in this site "if you can dream it, you can build it" (ehem, within reason / no rocket ships [what would NASA say] Razz )

P.S. learn about CRITICAL THOUGHT, it is a remarkable resource, like salt, it makes everything better Cool.

Last edited by Silito on Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Loric

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My limited experience in presenting and watching others present has taught me things thus far.

1) Learn to speak naturally in front of people. I have a friend who can be best be described as "not good with the words" and there have been times where he had an amazing idea that people didn't receive well because he's just not a good speaker. A little sad Sad

2) Don't try to show laymen technical drawings. They just don't connect and even if it is a more technical person they might not be used to your particular methods and how to read them. A good example would be one design meeting I was at where the director was discussing the areas of the stage with the design team. The director had no interest in discussing the printed groundplan or looking at the CAD/cyber model. Instead he focused on my thrown-together white model I was putting together (just to help myself see some of the spaces as I flesh out areas of the design.)

It taught me that people want to be able to see and explore things easily - the less left to their imagination the better.

That isn't to say you don't use technical drawings to clarify things in a presentation, like a groundplan reinforcing a model or a series of renderings of show scenes, but you don't just give them that assuming they'll have any inkling of how to read it properly.

My amateur advice, but i like to think it's sound in theory.
Holly
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the "Imagineering Way" and "Imagineering Workbook" have a little bit of stuff about selling an idea and pitching... It may be worth checking out at the local library...
DancinBelle

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean take a ride from concept to...well, as far as I can logically for practice. This video is a bunch of images from the movie, just to give you a rough idea of what I'm talking about. As they say, a picture is worth 1,000 words:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpFHej1A_oA
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is slightly off topic, but I also noticed you had a video about a Myst film website? Are they really making a film called Myst based on the books?
DancinBelle

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they are, though it will have a different title. Go to www.mystmovie.com to see the production blog, which is actually an interesting view into film making for anyone. The script is just about finished, and they plan to make a trailer first as a test. They got John Howe (Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia) to do artwork, it looks amazing.

Topic, what topic?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: