Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

Lend me your ear?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingslyZISSOU

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Lend me your ear? Reply with quote

First of all... I am a brand new user on this forum (I joined today), and I am excited to see people who are serious about having a career in this field.

I am a Junior In high school (only for one more day! yahoo!) and I Love themed entertainment design. It has been a fascination for me since I was a child. I have lived in Florida all my life, and I am no stranger to what this vocation has produced. I am also very enthusiastic about art, and I wish to combine the two into a career.

I have so many questions (many of which i cant even think of right now because im so excited to see people on here who are actually in this business, not just random disney enthusists) and that some of you might be willing to take the time to answer them. (any comments are welcome!!!)

I was wondering how artists are employed by imagineering, ITEC, or other companies of that nature. Are they permanent staff, or do they just randomly hire freelance artists? I highly doubt that all companies work the same way, but if you know anything, I would love to hear from you.

Also I am finishing up an English class, and I my final assignment Is an essay on a dream job. I am supposed to conduct an interview, so If anyone here is/ was an imagineer, or in a similar field, It would be wonderful.

(I hope I posted this in the right area)

-Sincerely
kingslyZISSOU (PS, thats not my real name.. hehe)
kingslyZISSOU

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I forgot to mention, I am also very interested in concept design.
DancinBelle

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! I joined as a Junior last year. You should be able to find plenty of information here. Very Happy
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its good to see another enthusiastic young person eager to get into this wonderful business. I dont have alot of advice to give you, as I am still not full time in the biz (I am still currently freelancing)...but as far as companies hiring people to do design, yes they absolutely do. Of course imagineering has all sorts of artists, engineers, writers, producers since they are such a big entity. "Smaller" companies like ITEC, Thinkwell, Falcons Treehouse (just to name a few, there are many many others) also hire artists, to my knowledge, though openings may be few and far between. Im sure alot of them also hire freelance artists on a project to project basis. Nate, the admin on these boards, has worked for ITEC so he would be able to answer that more specifically than I. But I can tell you this, learn as much as you can about all the different companies out there, meet as many people as you can, go to IAAPA expo, go to TEA mixers, go to seminars...Find out what it is that you really want to do...is it creating concept drawings? Writing shows? Engineering how a ride will work? Find that one thing and really work hard at it. You have one more year of HS i see, so what are your plans for college? You will find that people in this business can come from a very wide variety of majors. At least you are already in Florida, are you in the Orlando area? I freelance for a company in Tampa so...anyways, nice to meet you and welcome to our world.
wokcreative

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, what they said.
And, welcome!
You will find many great articles and helpful info about the companies on the themed attraction main page. Read all of them.
You'll find lots of help here on the boards, too. There is some great stuff archived in the Eddie Sotto section.
Good luck to you.
lightguy

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinkwell, for example, has a small permanent staff and a very large collection of freelancers.

Once a project takes shape, the look at who on their list might suit the project and send out an "RFP", Request For Proposal, to anyone who they think will be an appropriate fit.

They then select an individual or company based on the creative and financial information they recieve. They may also select a freelancer outright if they are perfect for a project, though I'm not sure how often this happens.

So there is a small permament staff (http://www.thinkwelldesign.com/about/about_team.html ), more on the producing end, but also a large freelance pool.
kingslyZISSOU

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="icandrawem2"]Well its good to see another enthusiastic young person eager to get into this wonderful business. I dont have alot of advice to give you, as I am still not full time in the biz (I am still currently freelancing)...but as far as companies hiring people to do design, yes they absolutely do. Of course imagineering has all sorts of artists, engineers, writers, producers since they are such a big entity. "Smaller" companies like ITEC, Thinkwell, Falcons Treehouse (just to name a few, there are many many others) also hire artists, to my knowledge, though openings may be few and far between. Im sure alot of them also hire freelance artists on a project to project basis. Nate, the admin on these boards, has worked for ITEC so he would be able to answer that more specifically than I. But I can tell you this, learn as much as you can about all the different companies out there, meet as many people as you can, go to IAAPA expo, go to TEA mixers, go to seminars...Find out what it is that you really want to do...is it creating concept drawings? Writing shows? Engineering how a ride will work? Find that one thing and really work hard at it. You have one more year of HS i see, so what are your plans for college? You will find that people in this business can come from a very wide variety of majors. At least you are already in Florida, are you in the Orlando area? I freelance for a company in Tampa so...anyways, nice to meet you and welcome to our world.[/quote]

you do freelance eh? what do you do if I may ask?
thats cool, I don't live very far from Tampa. what kind of company is over there? is seems rather odd for a theme design company to be in Tampa.

What are IAAPA expo, and Tea Mixers? is it like a conference?

I want to do concept drawings, and sculpting, and well basically any kind of art work jobs they can throw at me.

Right now I plan on going to a local community college to take some art classes, and hopefully some witting classes, and maybe history.

Than from there try to go to a good school like full sail, or Ringling. I don't know much about colleges. any advice?
kingslyZISSOU

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="wokcreative"]Yeah, what they said.
And, welcome!
You will find many great articles and helpful info about the companies on the themed attraction main page. Read all of them.
You'll find lots of help here on the boards, too. There is some great stuff archived in the Eddie Sotto section.
Good luck to you.[/quote]

thanks!, I think ive already read them all. Do more get added every once in a while?
kingslyZISSOU

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="DancinBelle"]Welcome! I joined as a Junior last year. You should be able to find plenty of information here. Very Happy[/quote]

woah weird. So that means you graduated recently? If so, congratulations!
kingslyZISSOU

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="lightguy"]Thinkwell, for example, has a small permanent staff and a very large collection of freelancers.

Once a project takes shape, the look at who on their list might suit the project and send out an "RFP", Request For Proposal, to anyone who they think will be an appropriate fit.

They then select an individual or company based on the creative and financial information they recieve. They may also select a freelancer outright if they are perfect for a project, though I'm not sure how often this happens.

So there is a small permament staff (http://www.thinkwelldesign.com/about/about_team.html ), more on the producing end, but also a large freelance pool.[/quote]

Thats kind of what I was thinking. Do you know if the freelancing pays well?
kingslyZISSOU

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all so much for your time. Its wonderful to hear any comments. I am learning a lot. thanks!
Loric

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About freelancing..

My experience with it comes from people who are scenic designers and scenic design usually goes hand-in-hand with scenic painting as the "artisan skill."

The general rule i've heard is that you will

a) make more money as a painter or painter and designer, then just a designer.

b) make more money freelance as a painter and may well starve to death as a freelance designer.

c) painters are always needed, designers are not

That's how it was explained to me and i've seen it play out similarly in real life from time to time with other fields, for example in lighting someone can be a designer but makes major money by being a master electrician or something.

In short, you need an "artisan skill" if you're going to survive because that will be your bread and butter until you establish yourself.
lightguy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be a contrarian, because there are many different paths.

But as far as lighting goes, both theatrically and in architecture, many people end up being "pigeon hold" as master electricians once they get known as an electrician and not a designer.

Its all about short term versus long term. As a young designer it ertainly IS hard to find well paying jobs, however, you develop the skills and contacts you will need later on as a designer, which you would not get as an electrician.

Also, in larger projects, the designers would definitely NOT be required to do the hands on work, in fact, this will frequently be done by UNION artisans.
Loric

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can certainly see that happening - but i feel it's moreso true for those who really are more of a technician then designer. Lighting tends to have a lot of gadget-geek board-junkies who see technology as the "thing" rather then the finished production as the "thing."

And in that respect, they're probably better off as a technician then a designer.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: