Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

A serious school?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loric

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: A serious school? Reply with quote

Hey guy, checking in with my usual concerns - schools and such.

Anyways.. I was wondering if you guys had any names to throw into the hat as far as grad schools go and in particular ones which see work in themed design/attractions/parks as a real career rather then a flight of fancy?

I keep running into schools and professors who don't take the idea of working in the industry very seriously. Since my background is theater design, I get a lot of "that's selling out" and "that's not real art" sort of remarks. My all time favorite was "You want to do theater design for theme parks, not design theme parks, right? RIGHT? Don't you?!?!" Maybe it's because I deal with a rather artsy-fartsy theater clique, but I like to think a small dark ride can be just as moving and culturally significant as any great stage play, novel, or art.

As for grad school: this time I mean it! I -will- go to grad school next fall. Come hell or highwater I will finally get my tushy to graduate level. (Seriously, i didn't really putz around in undergrad but i feel like i've been here forever asking the same question).
Holly
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were into technology, I would say ETC at Carnegie Mellon... As far as theatrical, I really don't know... You probably will be looking for a program that is a little more progressive, rather than traditional... one that is accepting of digital technology... otherwise you will run into the same attitude.

Grad school is more about your path and where you want to take your education than undergrad... If you are clear about what your education goals are at the outset and what you want out of it, it will probably be easy to suss out in the first conversation whether that school will let you follow your passions, or if they are very classical and rigid about the theatrical training. I know that there are school out there that are more "experimental", and combine theatre with many other disciplines so that they can understand theatre in all its forms and possibilities. I just don't have any names off the top of my head... College programs can change a lot in 5 years...

Anyhow, go get 'em tiger and go find some schools that like to play! Wink
Loric

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always thought the ETC at CMU was interesting, but I am really against the whole idea to make everything virtual in design. I think people want real experiences, real reality.

It seems to be the "thing" in the industry to do virtual reality and interactive screen-based attractions. Bleh.
lightguy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at CalArts, and theres a school in NYC that has a respected program but the name escapes me at the moment.

As far as ETC goes, they teach real site-based design as well, 3 of your 4 semesters are actual projects that are contracted to ETC, which you get to choose. If site-based is what you're interested in, you can work exclusively on that. For example, they worked a an interactive fountain with thinkwell design and production a few years back.

I am a CMU student (non-ETC) and know several students there, two of them very well. One thinks its the best thing since sliced bread, the other thinks its a total disaster--only you can be sure. Visit as much as possible!!! As a grad student this is the piece of advice I give every prospective.

If you decide to check it out and need a couch to crash on in Pittsburgh let me know, I can probably hook you up.
Loric

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I founded it!

Squee! (and other terms of excitement)

UCLA's graduate program in theater design. Who knew, right? Classes on "the art and process of entertainment design" and such taught by actual imagineers.

It started with a search of people's resumes and such looking for the school they attended, then finding a blog that mentioned a specific class which designs shows/attractions and presents to Disney, then finding the right department and the right professors (UCLA's course catalog is huge) and now i just need to actually see what it is like as a school.

But, for now I feel some grand hope for the world and a sense of justification. They do offer such classes Smile

Ok, now to seriously look at the application requirements, process, and real bits of the school experience. (Wish me luck, it's probably gonna be brutal.)
DancinBelle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you!! (And based on the squee comment, are you a Myst fan?)
wokcreative

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you posted this thread a while back, but I'm still getting caught up on some.
UCLA would be a great place to be, especially if there are Imagineers teaching. We borrowed some stuff from their theater dept. when I was in school, and it was impressive - even back then. (I might even look into some classes myself, if time would permit me to work something out.)
In the mean time, if you can afford a couple hundred bucks (worth so much more than that, you won't find a better value), check out http://www.themeparkengineering.com/ for an on-line class. I've mentioned it on these boards before and can't say enough good about it. He even calls it the Imagineering class, now. It is self paced, interactive with the instructor and past students, has many helpful links to real world companies, is practical (you end up designing - creatively and technically - a themed attraction and a concept for a park)...
I think you'll do well in whatever you pursue. Continued good luck to you.
Loric

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, a small update - I got ahold of UCLA and though their deadline for application is December 1st they told me not to apply since I would be attending U/RTA (theatre audition for graduate study thing) and so i'm just prepping my portfolio and hope they take an interest in me.

Anyone got any UCLA contacts and want to drop my name hardcore from now until February?

Wink

I just closed/struck Glass Menagerie as Co-Designer, so that's another notch in the belt. If i get production photos anytime soon i'll post them for you all to see.
Loric

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="wokcreative"]http://www.themeparkengineering.com/ for an on-line class. I've mentioned it on these boards before and can't say enough good about it. He even calls it the Imagineering class, now. It is self paced, interactive with the instructor and past students, has many helpful links to real world companies, is practical (you end up designing - creatively and technically - a themed attraction and a concept for a park)...
I think you'll do well in whatever you pursue. Continued good luck to you.[/quote]

Do you really think this online class is worth it?

I'm looking at it really skeptically but i've got a winter break and it might be fun.. I'm not someone who armchair imagineers though and thinks everything is really made from pixie dust.

I have a hard time believing this course will offer me anything.

Can you elaborate more on what it offers?
wokcreative

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The web site for the class had a recent makeover and now goes by ImagineeringClass.com and the informational page is found at http://imagineeringclass.com/
I still highly recommend it. The class is very extensive and is self-paced, with feedback from the other and any other students that happen to be taking it at the same time, as well as past students.
It covers the whole spectrum of themed attraction design, including the technical and creative sides. There are real world examples in each lesson.
The instructor came from many years at Imagineering and has his own company that supplies the "black boxes" for audio, video, show, and ride control, as well as other types.
I found it very valuable as an overview, and toward specific fields. It is technical, but understandable for non-techs, also. It is very affordable at $200.00, and much worth it.
Throughout the course, you design every aspect of a ride/attraction and a complete theme park for the last assignment.

Hope that helps
rcj3

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been slow on getting back on here too. I just wanted to post this for you and anyone else interested. It is a link to the class you are talking about but at $89. I don't think there are residence limitations since it is an online non credit course. I found it on my local community colleges website. It is worth checking out with these tough times.

Let me know if it works and you can do it. Hopefully I can catch up on the thread I started.

http://www.ed2go.com/cgi-bin/oic3/newcrsdes.cgi?name=hagerstown&course=tpe&title=Theme^Park^Engineering&departmentnum=EI

You may need to copy paste th link.

Merry Christmas!! Ho!Ho!HO!
wokcreative

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the same one! Much cheaper. I forgot that it is offered through a network of community colleges on-line. Same great course, even better value.
Loric

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="wokcreative"]That is the same one! Much cheaper. I forgot that it is offered through a network of community colleges on-line. Same great course, even better value.[/quote]

I had just found it elsewhere online for just $129. Apparently the price fluctuates greatly by "where" you take it.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: