Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

Ringling

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingslyZISSOU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Ringling Reply with quote

I've been thinking about going to Ringling School of Art and Design, and was wondering if anyone on here has attended, or knows anyone in the industry who has attended this College.

Sincerely,

-kingslyZISSOU
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil -

There are a lot of people in the industry that came out of Ringling. It's a fine pick.

Nate
kingslyZISSOU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a particular program that people in this industry attended? Like illustration, or interior design, or fine art ect.?
thanks!
Loric

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="kingslyZISSOU"]Is there a particular program that people in this industry attended? Like illustration, or interior design, or fine art ect.?
thanks![/quote]

It's really going to come down to what you intend to do with your education and what your career goals are. I've had the pleasure of have some discussions with a painter who came out of Ringlisn for undergrad and then went onto Boston for her graduate studies.

She paints really big (like 8'x8' or larger) images of donkeys in a "finger painting" style. That's her thing. In her undergrad at Ringling she did mostly conceptual and abstract work with some landscapes and still life thrown in. She, as you may have surmised, desired to be a painter.

What exactly do you want to do? Themed design and such is more a commercial art then a fine art. You are producing bits of "art" that are used to create the final "real art" that ends up being the big presentation to an audience. I've always felt that theater is much more closely related then the other "fine arts" and thus a school such as Ringling may be a good jumping off point - it's not necessarily the most direct path if you know that working in the field is what you want to do.

Not to mention, most "artists" think of Disney as overly commercial and if you went to work for them you'd be a "sell out" while I think most of us here on the forum would be quite happy to work for the mouse.

There's two sides to everything of course, and i'm finding that even in theater you have the purists who want to do straight dramas with "naturalism" and then you have the more.. practical.. people who want to do shows that will make money for the theater and entertain large audiences.

Heck, maybe you want to design roller coasters and the mechnics of ride systems - then you need to drop art like a bad habit and go heavily into engineering. You could go into technical directing as well, but the long-story-short is that usually the artistic staff and the technical staff are two distinctly different groups who may have some overlap in education. One makes the idea the other builds the idea and sometimes they do each other's job (for example scenic designers doing technical drawings or a technician doing sculptural work in fabrication).

Ok, back to the point - what do you want to do and what skill set is needed for that job?

I would say that going into Ringling knowing that you want to do more "Commercial" work is going to lead to unhappiness due to the culture of the students and professors in regards to art as, well, an "art form."
kingslyZISSOU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lately, I've been introduced into the world of concept art. I've known that I want to be an Idea man/ artist. I think concept art would be a good move.

Does anyone know of any schools that specialize in concept art?

I have been getting into writing fiction, and I love art. My art work is based on telling stories and making people think. I like to think of my work as being a single frame from a film depicting a circumstance which evokes thought in individuals.

As long as I can find paper, and pencils, I will continue to write. My grammar may not be the best, but I have Ideas. Hopefully, as I grow, I will continue to improve through education.

I really want to focus my college education on Art, and maybe creative writing. I've been thinking about pursing both.

I think it's possible to combine the two into a 3d environmental medium; Also known as a theme park. Even if something doesn't convey meaning, doesn't keep it from being fun. I like fun. But fun is Not the main reason I want to contribute to this field.

I very much want to work for WDI; their work is fantastic. I really like the majority of what they do. I want to create elaborate experiences.
In recent days, yes, they have been sell outs; laugh floor, stitch, living seas and so on. I understand the suits are trying to promote the franchisees, and I wouldn't mind working on projects like that.

All artists are "sell outs" at some level, or, they die of starvation. I don't think taking a job for money is being a sell out. I think it's survival.
kingslyZISSOU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know next year (my freshman year of college), I will be going to a community college and taking all the basic art classes, and some writing classes. I'm not sure exactly what I want to do yet, so I didn't want to get into debt without being productive.

I am very interested in film (and always have been). I've been looking into animation, and seeing if I like it.

I'm going to be playing around with differnent things, and find out what I really like. But I'm in the process of finding out what I could potentially do from there. I need to find out about schools, and jobs. So that's what I'm doing at the moment.

I am really leaning towards pursing Imagineering. I really don't care about their lower salaries. Money doesn't impress me. I've been around enough of it.

I plan on drawing around 3 hours a day, and writing a thousand words a day. I plan on making myself indispensable.

Even if I don't make it into any of these fields, I will always write and draw.

As I've been doing research, i've come across my biggest concern. Finances. To be forward, I have none. Cost is going to be a big factor in choosing a school. How did (or do) you guys deal with paying for school?
lightguy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Finances Reply with quote

Keep in mind that the best schools generally have the best endowments and therefore have better merit scholarships and financial aide. So remember to look closely at every school.

Here at CMU, for example, grad students in the College of Fine Arts get a free ride and those in the School of Drama get 70% off tuition.

There are also many scholarships available, including some rather impressive ones, like the Javitz Fellowship. Spend some time researching those.

Finally, ask about work-study at the schools you're applying to.
kingslyZISSOU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice!

Everyone here is always so helpful!

I plan on doing a ton more research on all this stuff.

I'm always open to more suggestions.

Thanks again!
Holly
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't already, check out conceptart.org... It's a great resource for artists...
kingslyZISSOU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made an account, but I haven't used it yet. School is consuming me at the moment.
Meloncov

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm applying to Ringling this year. If we both go, we'll need to talk about entering Imagineering's student competition.

And conceptart.org is great. In particular, this thread and its predecessors are the best sources for information on the school:
http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=134784
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: