Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

Study abroad.. any sites to see?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loric

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Study abroad.. any sites to see? Reply with quote

I know some of you have traveled, heck I know some of you have even designed some good stuff overseas Smile

I'm going to be spending the summer in Paris studying art and architecture. I have lectures to attend and excursions to go on, but i'll have a good bit of free time.

Any suggestions for exploring the craft of themed design in Paris? DLP is an obvious stop, but what else would be grand? The only other thing over there i'm really at all informed about is Parc Asterix.

Thanks in advance Smile
lightguy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Efteling is a pretty famous, historic park in the Netherlands.

Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen has some amazing history, it opened in 1843!
Holly
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

England has some great parks, but I haven't gotten over there... The Brits seem to love theme parks too and have quite a few long-standing ones! Alton Towers is one... There's another big one, but it's not popping into mind right now.

I believe there is a famous Opera House there in Paris that may be well-worth a tour...
Loric

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Holly"]England has some great parks, but I haven't gotten over there... The Brits seem to love theme parks too and have quite a few long-standing ones! Alton Towers is one... There's another big one, but it's not popping into mind right now.

I believe there is a famous Opera House there in Paris that may be well-worth a tour...[/quote]

I think it's simply called the Paris Opera House - the grand staircase was specifically designed to allow people to be seen in their fashionable clothes and grand dresses and such as they entered. It's an iconic example of a space designed for the way people use it.

The way the program works, I'll be touring museums and artist's studios 20hrs a week as part of daily "classes" then on Fridays we go on an excursion - either an all-day deal to a bigger venue or maybe a trip outside the city.

Then the last week of the program we're in Venice for the Biennale which is like a big art to-do.

Weekends are free time to explore and do whatever I want.

Right now, i'm seriously looking at spending a day in Amsterdam on a stop over on my way to Paris. Supposed to have great museums.

From Paris to Venice we ride an overnight train and in Venice we're right on the grand canal. Should be a really great experience overall.

The class i'm taking is through Art History and it's called Sites of Inspiration. The idea is that art is an outgrowth of people's surroundings and ideaology of a time - so we'll look at where great artists work or worked and also home some iconic locations inspired great works.

Studying art in Paris.. is just.. I dunno. It kinda feels like it's not real, still a dream. And it's not just museums, studios and workshops and such.
DancinBelle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have time for parks, there's three in Germany I can recommend, Europapark, Holiday Park, and Phantasialand. Holiday Park is home to the Ge-Force, which has been named the best roller coaster.

My favorite museum in Paris is the Musee d'Orsay, across the river from the Louvre. The Rodin museum has some really beautiful gardens, but the best gardens are at Versailles.

When you're in Venice, go for a ride on a gondola. It really felt like a boat ride at Disney.

Have fun!
steamboatwillie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Paris.... Reply with quote

A close friend/former imagineer once told me, "Paris is the ultimate amusement park." No, not the city of lights. No, not the mecca of fashion. But rather, the most magnificent amusement park in the whole wide world. I've had the pleasure of spending a fair amount of time in Paris, and there is no greater truth -- the city of lights truly is the most magnificent theme park in the world. From the lights, to the architecture, to the people. There is an endless array of architectural delights to hidden treasures, but Paris' true beauty is in its simplicity. Make a point to see the "to-do's", but please do yourself a favor and make a point of getting lost at least once a day. Then, I promise you will discover Parisian beauty in its rarest of forms.

PS - If you make it to Amsterdam, rent a bike.
Holly
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... if we ever have a themedattraction.com fieldtrip to Paris, steamboatwillie should lead it!
steamboatwillie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just say the word and I'm on the next flight Smile
MartinJ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Word"

Now, if someone can just say "I'll pay for it," I'm there. Smile
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey sign me up, ive always wanted to get to europe and havent gotten the chance yet! Yeah martin its always that money thing that seems to put a damper on all the fun stuff Laughing
wokcreative

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to just enjoy the relaxing country-side around Paris, too. I loved it more than the city itself when I got to go (a very long time ago). Words of advice (that may still hold true) - Americans like to "touch" things in stores, where the Parisians weren't very excited about us doing that, unless buying it; our hot dogs (and sausage) are nothing like theirs, also our hamburgers are nothing like their steak tartare (shivers just thinking about it!); the club-size bread is not for beating people with, but is tasty; restrooms may be co-ed; enjoy everything for all it's worth - sleep when you get back home!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: