Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

What do you think would work in a Nintendo theme park?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rolyataylor2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: What do you think would work in a Nintendo theme park? Reply with quote

What do you think the chances of Disney opening a "digital" or "Nintendo Licensed" theme park? probably zero... Sad it would interfere with Epcot.

but the concept non the less.

The site icon would be a giant mickey holding a game controller. The gate to the park would be a TV screen. As you enter you feel as if you are being put into a video game or being digitized into the digital world.

From the tron section you split off to 4 separate areas including the The Mushroom Kingdom, Bowser's Kingdom, The city of Hyrule, and Mute City.

The concept behind this theme park is that each of the main cast of Disney; Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, and Donald; are playing each of the 4 worlds.

In the Mushroom Kingdom Mickey helps Mario & Luigi along in their journeys to meet various characters in the world.

In Bowser's Kingdom Goofy finds himself stuck in the world with Luigi and needs to find a way out.

In Hyrule Donald is trying to help locate the Tri-force with link.

In Mute City Minnie is Racing and hunting with captain falcon and Samus.

The ending show is Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and Donald get captured by Browser, and Ganon. (...and Mother Brain). Mario, Luigi, Link and Samus attempt to save them and when Samus and link are defeated and Mario and Luigi are on their last legs, mickey tells them to wish upon a star, Mario then talks about the power of the stars, and when they all wish to the stars a super star falls from the sky and Mario grabs it and used the star power to defeat them.

After an hour there is an end of the day parade through the mushroom kingdom.
Two float ideas are:
-- Bowser defeated upside down and moaning on a float.
-- Gannon in shackles
-- Princess peach, Mario and Luigi on a float together
-- Link on a float with princess Zelda
-- A float that looks like Samus should be on it but she isn't. maybe a projection of her is on the float.
-- The final float would be Mickey, Minnie, Donald and Goofy. with game over.

Some more ideas to come.

Last edited by rolyataylor2 on Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Holly
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an interesting idea. I don't think that it would interfere much with Epcot. It would just be difficult for Disney and Nintendo to reach a deal, since they are different companies. Most likely, Disney would want to own Nintendo before they sunk money into a fully-themed park... It's fun to think about though Very Happy
MartinJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that one time (ok, it appears quite a few) that Lego wanted to have a land in EPCOT. Now, they're supposedly going with a non-Disney park. Smile

I agree that there would difficult hurdles to getting Nintendo properties represented in the park. A little synergy between retail products (Toy Story Mania on the Wii) doesn't hurt. It might even be a tiny step forward.

If you'd like some constructive criticism, the concept should try to entertain across as many groups of guests as possible. Right now, This will mostly appeal to those that actually play the games. How many grandparents will enjoy the attractions and parades?

Each of the lands sound like they are really individual attractions. I would think that you want to evoke an emotion or sense of place for a land. Having a clear beginning, middle, and end feels more like a story that can be expressed in a single attraction.

Take the Harry Potter expansion at Universal. The area is meant to make you feel like you're in the world of Harry Potter, not a specific storyline from one of the novels or movies.

Keep working on this. I'm sure that you have many more ideas on this theme.
rolyataylor2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:) thanks for the advice, I am slowly working on ideas for the park, I would love to make people feel as if they are entering into the different worlds when they are in the park.

I think i overdid the idea of stories for each park. Mainly i would just focus the attractions on the single main characters for each section.

Luigi's mansion <-> 3d simulator of going through the haunted house following Luigi.
Bowsers castle <-> walk through the castle to get to a ride, you walk past Bowsers throne room which is blocked by bars on the other side of the room a large animatronic Bowser talks with his troops. The ride would consist of a roller coaster through his castle.
King Boo's Manor <-> a show involving the boo's talking about how they defeated Mario when he came to evict king boo.

At night after the mushroom kingdom is closed the bad guy area (Bowsers keep) could throw a party late night to celebrate how Bowser will take over the mushroom kingdom the next night. Bowser gets brought out on his throne (a Float) with a bandage on his head. He then starts the party. (Atmosphere like the Mexican pavilion at Epcot.)

My original concept for a strictly Nintendo theme park was:
Mushroom Kingdom - Mario, Bowser
Hyrule - Zelda
Dreamland - Kirby, pikmin
Mute City - Metroid, F zero, star fox

In the middle would be a large mountain that is referenced in all the areas, in Hyrule they call it death mountain, and in mushroom kingdom it has giant eyes.
The center would have paths leading to all the areas so you could get to the different parks without mixing them together.

In the center of this mountain would be a arcade on the bottom floor, restaurant on the second floor and a stadium on the third (where the preform a stage show battle between Pokemon trainers)

Got to sleep now I'll jot down more ideas later.

Which park do you think is better Disney/Nintendo or just pure Nintendo?
MartinJ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The World of Nintendo is big enough to fill an entire park. It's definitely bigger than four lands, closely tied to particular characters. If you're going to follow the Disney model, you'd put a castle in the center (possibly Princess Toadstool's).

Since Mario seems to loom so large, you definitely want music inspired from the games included (please don't make people listen to the actual game music; it'll drive them away vey quickly). I don't think that is something to worry about at this point, though. Just let the music play in your head as you think about things. What's common throughout? There's always an opportunity for uplifitng moods (for instance, when you finish a level). Individual levels and worlds have their own take on the background music, to set an overall mood.

The games and characters should only be used as inspiration for your design. Since we're talking about themes here, you want some underlying *thing* to permeate everything. Write that thing down on a post-it note. Make sure you can look at it when you write something and also when reviewing it.

Here are some things to think of.

* What does Mario's world smell and physically feel like? You already know what it looks and sounds like. I imagine that most things feel "bouncy". But, that would be hard to keep up in this universe.

* Can you sum up the park's theme in a single, cohesive paragraph? This is your main selling point. To the money men, the enablers, the guests.

* Does each land's theme tie back to your overall one? Guests may not pick up on it, but if it doesn't fit, they'll know that something's wrong.

* Is the theme for each land truly distinct and unique? If not, one is a sub-land of the other.

* Can you make sure each land can relate to at least one other land's theme (preferably two)? You need some kind of way to transition from one to the next.

* Going in deeper, does each attraction fit in a land's theme? People will try to make things fit. Otherwise, the illusion falls apart. Imagine a kid puttng a Mickey sticker in the middle of the Pepper's Ghost effect in the Haunted Mansion.

Now, get out there and design your park. I'd love to visit it. Smile
rolyataylor2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other ideas for attractions in the different areas.

Mute City (Future world)

- Hall of Metroid Museum - Theater of Samus' adventures in a "Futuristic" filming style, Kind of like the spider-man ride at universal - Islands of Adventure. Science gift shop.

- Star Fox Academy - Lazar-Tag Cadet Training, Space preparation training (Rollar Coaster quick-launch ramp zero-g) , Tour the Great fox (Cafeteria) maybe a gift shop selling star fox stuff, R-wing Ride from the dock (Roller coaster)

- F-zero Grand Prix Track - simulator pods and betting on the race. A sports bar filled with f-zero posters Past winners (holographic posters) & current racers. on the Big screens have current race, maybe a meet the racer at the bar/restaurant. Simulator pods would be interactive allowing people to drive, two seats one behind the driver for observing and experiencing without driving. 4d experience, racers when they die are kicked from the race (or not). In the dashboard of the car their is a camera that films the people's faces and uses those for placeholders also for in the bar as a cockpit view. If people are kicked from the race when they die: use the dashboard footage at the bar, maybe take a photo and sell it at the gift shop; also if they die in water they will get sprayed by a water nozzle to add to the experience.

- Pikmen would be a good transition between the future mute city and the dream would. As you walk into the pikmen environment things around you get bigger making you feel as if you are shrinking. The area would be a open field from a miniature perspective then transition into a forested area use fog machines to block the path then transition into the dreamworld. Hot dog stand for quick food. Bug themes throughout the area teach kids about bugs, maybe how they are in other Nintendo games. maybe a bug themed restaurant kind of themed like a empty patch of grass with grass patterns on the walls.

Any thoughts on our ideas? Anything you would do different? Restaurants, snacks, themes for the gift shops? How to get other demographics involved?
Sfan00

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="rolyataylor2"]

{snip}

Any thoughts on our ideas? Anything you would do different? Restaurants, snacks, themes for the gift shops? How to get other demographics involved?[/quote]

Bear in mind some Nintendo games are developed outside Nintendo..

I mean does anyone license Capcom characters for other than games?
And who owns the Vampire Killer/Castlvaynia franchise these days?
rolyataylor2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BzzTPtlq7b-CMDdiN2QxN2EtNzFjNC00NzNiLTgwNmQtZjhmMmI2MmMxOWVh&hl=en

Here's some compiled ideas I've put together :) anyone wants to work on it feel free to ask I can send the word document version.

Konomi still owns castlevania's rights, i think the newest game is made by someone else though.

Capcom might not want megaman to be used for anything else, but maybe in the park have areas that can be leased out by third party developers or something to that effect?
lilyran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:23 am    Post subject: RE Reply with quote

The ending show is Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and Donald get captured by Browser, and Ganon. (...and Mother Brain). Mario,[url=http://www.dvdsetcollection.com/products/The-Office-Season-1-6-DVD-Boxset-cartoon-1810.html]The Office dvd[/url] Luigi, Link and Samus attempt to save them and when Samus and link are defeated and Mario and Luigi are on their last legs, mickey tells them to wish upon a star, Mario then talks about the power of the stars, and when they all wish to the stars a super star falls from the sky and Mario grabs it and used the star power to defeat them.
just-inverted

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i once made a nintendo themed park on Roller Coaster Tycoon, but it wasn't Disney themed at all. The hard thing was not being able to make everything look realistic.
Sugar70

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each of the lands sound like they are really individual attractions.
I would think that you want to evoke an emotion or sense of place for a land.
Having a clear beginning, middle, and end feels more like a story that can be expressed in a single attraction.

http://theartofcoverthypnosis.com/
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: