Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

UK theme park design opportunities...move to USA?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhilUK

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: UK theme park design opportunities...move to USA? Reply with quote

Hi there

I've had a passion for theme park design for years now. It was my driving force being getting an Interior Design degree...I even wrote an 8000 word dissertation on theme park design and how it has evolved.

Since graduating last year, I've had no luck at the few companies in the UK, so have persued modelmaking jobs...I just finished some prop work on a film over here.

I am determined to make it into the theme park design opportunities, but really don't know what to do from here. My dream is to work in the USA, but how can I go about this?

Should I perhaps try for a Masters in Interior Design and work my way into something by the end of my course?

Do any US companies offer intern opportunities for UK residents?

Other suggestions?

I'm at a stand still now and really don't know where to turn!!
Holly
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,

I really don't know the answer. In the US, a lot of internships are only offered to students who are getting college credit for it. I don't know that a Master's Degree would increase prospects... it's not really required for the industry. I took a Master's degree (MFA) partly to build my network and I also interned during that process. It helped me to get a foot in the door, but I haven't experienced benefits beyond that. Do you have a division of TEA or a similar organization where you are? The industry is very tightly-knit, and people in England probably know people in the US. If you can start to network with professionals in the industry so that they get to know your face, see you regularly at mixers and know what you are passionate about, it will probably help your prospects quite a bit. I wish that I had more info about transplanting from there to here, but I really don't know anyone from overseas who is in the industry. I wish you the best of luck!
wokcreative

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Holly's advice on networking, through organizations and through the master's program (in the UK or US). Even the modelmaking can lead to contacts - anything in the entertainment industry crosses over to theme parks specifically.
Welcome to the site, and hope someone else can offer more help also.
theme-park-design-company

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: theme park design Reply with quote

I think your best bet too is through networking and checking out companies who do theme park design. [url=http://www.itec.com/]Theme park design[/url] is also a lot of engineering as well too so I am not sure what you should do about that. Talk to people who are in the business and you will find a way in.

http://www.itec.com/
Joey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,

Like you I live in the UK, have just finished education, wrote an insane dissertation on theming and ultimately I'd love to live and work in the USA in the theme park biz. Are you my clone? ...But, it's not that easy to just up and move to the US. To work in the US if you're not a US citizen, whoever employs you needs to take full responsibility for you. Few companies are willing to do so.

I hear that some parks offer on-park jobs (such as ride attending) to foreigners. I know Kings Dominion does it, so assumably all the Cedar Fair parks do. If you're willing to do minimum wage work to try and get a foot in the door, it might be worth trying to find out more about this.

As for no luck with the UK companies... Maybe you're not trying hard enough, or maybe you're not going about it in the right way? If you're willing to work for free or do an internship or something, I find it hard to believe that they'd ignore you. They haven't ignored me, but I did harass them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
taylorthedreamer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with joey, i know disney is like always hiring, and their a great company to start with and get your foot in the door with, and ive heard of them sometimes helping you out with transportaion to and from work if it is needed. and if you get a job at any theme park just talk to everyone you meet, let them know what you want to do, you never know who might know someone who could get you a job you want
Holly
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure, but I think that Disney does regularly hire people from other countries... They especially look for people to staff the "countries" at Epcot, which since you are from the UK could work. Sometimes it is easier to move into a professional position once you have your foot in the door with a company than if you are trying to get in from the outside... There are many different ways to achieve a dream, I think. Doing the netwroking and getting the info will be up to you.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: