Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

Horror film based walkthrough

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Post a project - post a resume
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EByrne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Horror film based walkthrough Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

First of all, this is a great website - loving the insight into the theme park world.
I wanted to get your opinions on an idea for a ride concept for my grad project at university. I need to come up with a concept, design drawings and produce a scale model of it.
I really like scary rides, especially horror based immersive environments. They don't always have to be based around a story, but it helps.
Anyway, my intial idea is a ride or walkthrough based on several horror films. I don't really know how to tie them together, to make it work as a good theme park ride. Does anyone have any tips on that?
I want to be able to immerse the audience into the whole thing, so the queue is really in the world from the get-go!

Does anyone have anything really harsh to say about a horror film based ride that is a walkthrough ?(or maze or mini village)
I would really like the truth, because I don't think people on my course are getting my idea or there lying to me and telling me it's a good one.

I've conducted surveys, research, attendance records on rides but in a professional point of view, would/could this ride be sucessful?

It's just a project, so I could still potenially design the concept and produce a model - I'd love to post pictures of it in different stages. But I need to make decisions on what I'm doing first.

Any help is welcome!

Ta guys Very Happy
Em
wokcreative

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great story always makes an attraction stronger. If you have several specific movies in mind, I would suggest finding a way to make your own story out of those, where they all come together (even more obstacles, making it an even stronger story).
Horror seems to always be popular, especially with most major theme parks offering some kind of special events at Halloween time. If this is your interest, even better all the way around.
Good luck with your project, and keep on updating on your progress. We would love to see your process along the way.

Welcome to the site.
EByrne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply.

Ahh I see what your saying, I should have a interlocking story to connect them all...I like it, because I wanted to do something like that but I didn't think it would work with such different films for example 'The Hills Have Eyes' and lets say 'The Amityville Horror'.
What's a good example of this in pre-existing ride?if any?

I could always market the ride around Halloween for my project, it's totally my choice - that would be the right time of year for such an idea Smile

Do anyone think this idea for a ride would be boring if it's just a walkthrough. I personally love walkthroughs, can be intense and very scary-live action too is a plus. I recently went on the new SAW ALIVE ride in Thorpe Park in the UK and it was a maze and really scary and I'm not easily spooked. I suggest this ride to everyone as an experience if your in the UK(south - near London) area.
Do you think not having a rollercoaster on the end of it would be less attractive to a spectator??

Thanks again for any suggestions!
Em
wokcreative

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest going as big as possible and don't limit yourself at all, while you can - before there are any budget constraints from accountants. If you want to use it as a spec to shop around, you may need to keep budget in mind; companies may need to see that you can keep it affordable.
It doesn't seem like it would be boring at all, and if it is something you enjoy, that is what you should go with. Dream big!
EByrne

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is a there a thread about actual model making - maybe with some pictures or any good tips?
wokcreative

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lot of great info on the Themed Attraction main page - many articles from veteran designers...
jhonsmith

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello dea do you anyone think this idea for a ride would be boring if it's just a walkthrough. I personally love walkthroughs, can be intense and very scary-live action too is a plus. I recently went on the new SAW ALIVE ride in Thorpe Park in the UK and it was a maze and really scary and I'm not easily spooked. I suggest this ride to everyone as an experience if your in the UK(south - near London) area.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Post a project - post a resume All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: