Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

Cantilevered Coaster Concept

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ntweisen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Cantilevered Coaster Concept Reply with quote

The cantilevered roller coaster is a thrill ride concept which utilizes two sets of rails to create an unpredictable ride experience (similar to 4D coasters). I remember hearing about this concept a few years ago. The ride could function as a slower dark ride or a high speed steel coaster.

I work as a CAD Engineer and in my free time I've been creating some CAD models for John Hogg's Cantilevered Roller Coaster concept. These are still a work in progress but here are a couple videos of the model. The purpose is mainly to show proof of concept and the possible range of motion of the vehicle. If you go back and look at the older videos you can see the progression of the design process.

Video 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2v3QOhrKPk

Video 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMV2TVu_M5E

Is there anything you would like to see in the models which I haven't shown yet? What can I do to make them better?
wokcreative

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great idea! I can see it working as an open ride, with just track showing, or with a great storyline - dodging obstacles..., inside a building, or outside.
It has different possibilities than the Kuka arm that is used in Harry Potter - endless possibilities!
ntweisen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got it exactly right! Hopefully this ride system would be much less expensive on a per seat basis over the Kuka system which would allow a wider range of potential parks to have one.
HHaase
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhhh, that second link I think goes far better in showing the concept. When I watched the first one, I didn't realize the second set of tracks was involved. I initially thought it was some type of articulated arm that the car was connected to and moved via hydraulics or inertia.

Neat concept. The range of motion is astounding.

Just to throw the idea out there, I wonder if you could get some additonal controls into there via varying the gauge width of the side rails?

-Hans
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: