Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

Best kind of paint to use in a theme park?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
headexplodie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Best kind of paint to use in a theme park? Reply with quote

Hi,
This might be a wacky place to ask this question, but I work in a small children's theme park, and we are in the process of restoring many of our old sets and figures. Does anyone know what is the best kind of paint to use in a such a high traffic setting? Or does anyone know where I can find this information? Our main concern is finding something durable that will withstand weather and children climbing all over it.

Thanks!
wokcreative

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Asphalt paint? Reply with quote

I don't know what they use normally, but I worked on towers one summer (with repeater antennas, dishes, LORAN, beacons...) and one tower that we painted was done with asphalt paint. It is what is used for the lines on the streets and curbs, to hold up to what they need to, and last a long time.
It is a huge mess to work with, and no one will rent a sprayer to you, because it gets too clogged up, since the paint is so thick. If you do use one, it has to be cleaned out every couple of minutes.
(The tower was up above Glendale, CA and the city council wanted the tower to be painted "sky blue" to environmentally blend in better. It rarely blends in!)
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interior or exterior? I suppose it depends on the application.

Nate
headexplodie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exterior. A lot of the things we're dealing with are sculptures made of concrete and fiberglass, wood and concrete playsets, carousels, wood signage. [url]http://fairyland.org/plan_your_visit/storybook_sets.htm[/url] there are some photos off of our website to give an idea of what we're restoring.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Rosco Reply with quote

You may wish to contact Rosco's US scenic paint department for the proper use for your application: http://www.rosco.com/us/scenic/index.asp

Because it's scenic paint it will work well for the types of things you are painting. I would question them in terms of what's best outdoors. If you would, please report back what you find.

But also because it is scenic paint, it may be pricier than other paints. They may have distributors in your area that can make alternate recommendations.

Nate

Rosco Off Broadway Paint
Rosco's most popular vinyl-acrylic scene paint is available in a complete range of theatrical colors for painting virtually any backdrop or scenic element.

Supersaturated Roscopaint
A highly concentrated acrylic scenic paint that can be used to create the widest variety of scenic effects. Use diluted as much as 15:1 for brilliant dye-like results.

Iddings Deep Colors
The highest quality traditional casein based scenic paint available.

Premiere Clear NEW
An advanced, water-borne urethane coating suitable for sealing and protecting painted finishes, floors and high-traffic surfaces.

Clear Flat/Gloss Acrylic Glazes
Use these clear acrylic mediums as a protective topcoat to a painted surface or mixed directly into paint for additional binder strength.

Fluorescent Paint
An economical vinyl-acrylic paint with bright, dayglo colors that fluoresce under ultra-violet light ("blacklight").

Vivid FX
A high quality special effects paint that combines brilliant fluorescence, and one coat coverage and opacity into one remarkable paint formulation.

ClearColour
Rosco has reformulated its unique ClearColour system. When viewed under incandescent light it is completely invisible yet, under the flood of ultraviolet light these fluorescent colors come to life.

RoscoGlo
A phosphorescent paint designed for use in total darkness for stage direction and visual orientation.

Colorine
Transparent coloring medium for coating low wattage bulbs. Not for permanent or long-term applications.

Iddings Brushes
These low cost scenic liners, or fitches, are carefully manufactured in the United States with long natural bristles to yield a smooth, even stroke.

Lay-in Brushes
Designed to meet the demands of scenic artists. Long, natural hog hair bristles allow a full charge of paint.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way... cute park!! Next time I'm in the bay area I'd love to come visit.

Nate
Holly
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you use automotive paint on fiberglass? I think that's what they use when they fabricate. Depending on what they application is, you may be able to use stains for wood and cement... The companies who make these things should know if they are safe for playgrounds. Playground benches and some other pieces tend to use a thick rubber coating, but I can't remember who manufactures that at the moment. You may also be able to use a powder-coat outdoors... I think those are pretty durable. If the company that originally made the signage, buildings and sculpts is still around, you may be able to ask them what they used and how you should go about re-furbishing their work... If not, you may be able to e-mail a few themed fabrication companies and let them know you are on a small budget and see if they can recommend products off-hand...
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:53 am    Post subject: Paint Reply with quote

Hey everyone -

I meant to mention this but while I was at IAAPA in November, I was able to speak with a company that specializes in outdoor paint for theme park attractions. The company is www.modernmastersinc.com. They've got some pretty great colors, so check it out!!

Nate
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: