Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

greetings everyone

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brett

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: greetings everyone Reply with quote

I have been looking into theme park design for a long time now, and I hope to go to the right school, and take the right classes to do so. I do have a small question to ask before I do that though.

When I think of theme park design, and what makes a good ride, I am heavily focused on atmosphere. I am more excited about creating a whole new world in and around that ride that will provide an experience unlike any other, rather than the structural design of the ride itself.

So my question is this: Is there an actual job in theme park design that revolves around creating that atmosphere, and designing the world that houses the ride and brings it to life?
Holly
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Fields... Reply with quote

Designer, or Architect...maybe others?... I took set design and art classes. I do a lot of small rides right now, but the visual design of the ride and its surroundings are up to me (generally, I cook up options, present the best, and let the art directors give me feedback on what they like, what they want and what falls within budget)...

Make sure that you choose a career field that you enjoy anyhow... The passion for your field of study will help push you through years of school and make you better than those who are just cruising through to finish...

Anyone who has more experience in the industry have a more complete answer?
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brett -

That's an easy question. That's what I do: Show set design. You need to get into set design for theater. Architecture is almost as good. Film direction is also doable. They all tie together in some respects, especially when it comes to themed entertainment design.

Nate
Brett

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are there any specific schools you would recommend that Theme Park companies or freelance designers like to recuit from?
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think WDI recruits from the southern cal schools. You could call and ask them. I know that Ringling here in Florida, the Arts Center, CalArts regularly churn out artists that are picked up by themed entertainment companies. CalArts was actually founded by the Disney Company. Of course, my personal recommendation is to go to a university that fits your situation the best. There is no one way to get into this biz. Every path is different and it all has to do with how well you network. You can go anywhere as long as you pick up the right skills.

Nate
wokcreative

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WDI often has positions open for interning, also, in specific disciplines. They also have paid positions for assistants in different areas (right now, even), but usually want some kind of office assistant experience - if you have the time available, while going to school, including the drive. Being from OC, you could also look into DL jobs, maybe even with WDI people who are located in Anaheim.
Depending on where you want to be located for school, you can study those different subjects (design, architecture...) from most schools, and work on being the best that you can, to stand out and have an even better chance at getting where you want to be. CSUF (and CSULB - my alma mater) have huge numbers of students working at DLR. Just being around it, you can experience a great deal of it hands on.

Also highly recommended is the on-line class at themeparkengineering.com which is also discussed in other places on this forum at an even better price, if you can squeeze it into the 12 week session. Even the regular $200.00 dollars is very much worth it. It gives a general overview of the technical and creative aspects of themed attraction design, at a level that is good for anyone interested at all in learning more about it.
Brett

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, that really helped alot.
Brett

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, that really helped alot.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: