Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

Blue Pencil questions

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wokcreative

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:22 am    Post subject: Blue Pencil questions Reply with quote

Is there a specific shade of blue that is typically used for sketching? I happened to find a non-photo blue pencil in a big box of pencils, pens, markers... while trying to get school supplies together for the kids.
Is the non-photo blue used specifically with black pencil over/with it to get only the final good lines in a copy? Are different shades of blue used like different shades of charcoal? Does anyone ever use green, red... anything else to get different effects?
Just curious in my creative coloring.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole point with non-photo blue is that you can create a rough drawing. Then once you get it the way you like it you can trace in dark pencil the lines you like most and then photocopy it. The blue won't get copied... hence the name, non-photo blue.

So it's got some nice advantages. Of course you can always just take it into photoshop in blue, desaturate it and then paint over it. That works quite well also.

Nate
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: blue pencil Reply with quote

I just bought a couple Prismacolor non-photo blue colored pencils a couple weeks ago and they are ok...the only thing is that prismacolor pencils have very soft leads so you have to keep sharpening them if you need crisp lines. Some other people have recommended colerase brand since they are erasable, but i havent tried them.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll probably have to try out a few different kinds to determine which one works best for you.

Nate
Holly
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be careful about erasable pencils... Once people have the power to erase, they tend to get hung up on getting the "perfect" line... One of the beautiful things about the blue pencil phase is that you can keep it fluid and quick, and really concentrate on working out form, proportion, etc. I sharpen my pencils a lot anyhow, so I can't really recommend a better pencil. I just sharper several at the same time, so when one gets dull, I can keep going without breaking the stream of thought...
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing you may give a shot to are mechanical pencils. The nice thing about them is that the lead stays the same width. So as you draw the line doesn't change shapes and it makes for more consistent drawings. I've found that very helpful. Many times I'll draw in pencil and then lay vellum on top and ink it.

Nate
wokcreative

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject: blue pencil stuff Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions. I'll just get a few - different brands and different shades - to do some experimenting.

:)

(I also just enabled emoticons and wanted to try it out. I came up with one of my own but haven't used it in a while)

~<8O]
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: