Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

Transition from Fan to Professional

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:09 am    Post subject: Transition from Fan to Professional Reply with quote

At what point do you draw the line?

I've just been pondering this lately. As a fan you get to say whatever, have uninformed opinions, gossip about rumors/news, be brutal in your reviews etc..

As a professional, you have to watch what you say, most certainly not spread information you learn because its not for public consumption, and spend a lot of time with new stuff you'd love to discuss but no one to discuss it with because everything seems to be so cloak and dagger.

This has come up lately because I'm getting more indepth in my classes and gotten extremely good at sticking my nose where it doesn't belong in terms of the Mouse. I will most likely leave the job in the fall so that it wont conflict with my school work/rehearsals etc.

Giving up those information resources really is scary to me. There is so much to be learned by bothering to take a peak and having access to certain areas.

Take for example May 5th. The big day. Folks on the fan sites are wondering what's gonna happen - how's it gonna go down? What's the whole "show" gonna be like?

Well, thanks to my knack for knowing where to look - I know exactly what is going to happen. However, I know darn well there'd be an annoyed Mouse if i talked about the subject with the "common Guests."

It makes me sad.. I do get some support here, and i dont feel there is anything i can't discuss in our little safe cove of information and professionalism - but I feel soon I'll have to end all contact with that side of the world, leave the "fan" part of me behind and act more like the professional i'm trying to be.

Maybe its a good thing? I don't have to stress over dealing with ignorance and people not understanding how the world really works versus the fantasy. My biggest gripe has always been that people don't understand what's going on 99% of the time and often make mountains out of molehills - for example, refering back to the Land rehab:

Word got out that Soarin would have influences of airports in its queue. That spread to everyone saying it was gonna be an airport and the rest of the Land would be destroyed. That did not happen. But, lots of panic and ignorance over nothing.

Ideas? Thoughts? Encouragement?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: