Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

A100 Animatronics

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:12 am    Post subject: A100 Animatronics Reply with quote

Hi,

I've heard quite often that these new kind of animatronic can move quicker and more natural because of "compliance" or something. Can anyone here explain what this means and how it works?

Thanks,
Tonny

Holly3216
(5/16/05 5:10 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: A100 Animatronics
Not entirely sure... I know I've heard that the new generation of animatronics involved some compensation for the "wobble" caused by quick movements. Apparently, the vibration was a huge hindrance in previous generations... Not sure what other differences are, though...

Anyhow, love what I've seen so far of the new generation (e.g. "Alien Encounter" and "Timekeeper")...

Is there a technical imagineer in the house?

No Limits Thriller
(5/16/05 5:31 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: A100 Animatronics Yes, compliance was explained as a system to reduce the wobbling. What I'm wondering about here is how they decrease that amount of wobbling:D

chadlockwood
(5/16/05 6:27 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: A100 Animatronics Maybe they just wobble it in the other directions first, so the two wobbles cancel each other out?

So crazy it might just work!

ewc
(5/16/05 9:40 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Some info and my educated guess From www.hauntedhousemagazine....actors.php

“The latest generation of Disney animatronic technology is known as the "Compliance System" (or a "Sarcose figure", named after the valve manufacturer). Gene Poor, the owner of Lifeformations, states in his book "The Illusion of Life": "This became possible as an outgrowth of development on human prosthesis research at the University of Utah. Animate Systems Incorporated (ASI) builds them specifically for Disney. The compliance system provides a digital encoder at each end of the character's joints. These mechanical-position-to-decoder-encoding devices allow the computer to sense the character's moves and total pose 24 times a second. The compliance system allows an audio-animatronic programmer to program individual character moves that are very close to surrounding objects or to the character itself. For instance, two hands gesturing around each other, or even fingertips touching."

That’s all I could find….

My guess is that using the right sensors (encoders, touch sensors, and others), actuators (motors and others) and control system it’s now possible to “save” a movement profile (i.e. swing right arm like this) and then have the control system match that movement more or less exactly. Depending on how Disney does stuff the movement profile could be created via a computer or my placing sensors on a human “actor” to trace their movements. I would imagine that part of their control system is based on a Proportional Integral Derivative (PID) design. The PID algorithm basically looks at where it is and where it should be and then calculates the right outputs to get the actuators to the right position. These outputs are based on the proportional error (where it is – where it should be), integral error (the sum of the error over time) and derivative (the change in error over change in time).

-Eric

Holly3216
(5/17/05 9:31 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: Some info and my educated guess >>Maybe they just wobble it in the other directions first,
>>so the two wobbles cancel each other out?
>>
>>So crazy it might just work!

Lol, that was one of my guesses too =) The vibration from quick movements is probably predictable via mathematics. The other thing is that they might be able to dampen wobble via structural design and materials that absorb it...

JoeP
(5/17/05 11:14 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post compliance Interesting post...

Your guess on PID is correct Eric, and you can (very) roughly consider compliance a PIDD system. An accelerometer or stain gauge is used in addition to the position sensor to measure the actual force applied to that particular motion. This allows the servo loop to dynamically adjust the speed if it senses excess force during accel/decel. In essence, this allows for quicker, more fluid motions since the "jerk" associated with changes in velocity can be accounted for.

I also find it interesting that the article you quoted states that they are using 24fps instead of 30fps like the rest of the world. In any case though, that's simply the playback rate for the position commands and the servo loop itself most likely updates hundreds of time a second.

Joe

ewc
(5/17/05 4:12 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Thanks Joe! Thanks Joe for the added explanation… the info on the net is pretty lacking as far as a technical explanation of “compliance.”

If you need more info Tony I would try a patent search, it’s free you just need to download a TIFF viewer if you don’t already have it?

-Eric

No Limits Thriller
(5/17/05 4:39 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: A100 Animatronics Thanks for the input y'all! Very Happy
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: