Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

Night of Joy/Rock the Universe

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:39 am    Post subject: Night of Joy/Rock the Universe Reply with quote

Some of you may not even know what these two events are but being an Orlando area youth leader I am all too familiar with Night of Joy and Rock the Universe. They are Christian concert events held at the Magic Kingdom and Universal Studios, respectively. Similar in format to Grad Night at Disney except with well known Christian artists instead. Here's the deal...

Disney has been doing Night of Joy for over 22 years at the Magic Kingdom. Honestly, this is the first year I've been to Rock the Universe at Universal and I don't know how long they have been doing it but for at least 6 or 8 years or so. I understand that Universal wants to compete with Disney and vice versa but these events are held on the exact same weekend and feature equally good musical groups.

The problem is that as an area youth leader I am faced with the dilemma every year for our group to decide which to go to. Take for example this year. We typically go on the Friday night to Night of Joy. This year the bands were better on Friday than Saturday which made for a fairly easy decision (after deciding Night of Joy or Rock the Universe) Then at the last minute I had a schedule conflict on Friday so we were forced to go on Saturday. When given that option we decided to choose Rock the Universe because the bands were better on Saturday.

My teens can't fork out over $70 a head to go to both nights or even one night at each but probably would attend both if they were on different weekends or even different months. Why can't Rock the Universe move to another weekend in a different month? Just a pet peeve of mine I've been wanting to voice to the pros possibly working at Universal (any help on that, Nate?).

In comparison, Disney almost always sells out Night of Joy for both nights, and I understand that Universal had record attendance this year. However, I know that some of my teens have wondered why it is not held at IOA since they like the rides there much better. That has typically been a major deciding factor on which event to go to. I know that there are major logistics and such but...

Let me know any of your thoughts, if any.

rforkel
(10/26/05 5:31 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post NOJ/RTU try again?
I'm guessing that things like this are not of concern enough for anyone to give a response.

I know that Sea World tried something like this a couple of years ago called "Praise Wave" and I guess it flopped because they never did it again. It was held in late summer and didn't conflict with Disney or Universal. Granted, the music wasn't quite as good as NOJ or RTU but still the idea was there and it seemed fairly well attended, at least for Sea World.

Meloncov
(10/26/05 5:36 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post NOJ/RTU try again? My completely unsupported guese is that Universal realizes that they will be under Mickey's heal no matter what, so they may as well shoot for having people see both on one trip.

naversen1
ezOP
(10/31/05 11:58 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: Night of Joy/Rock the Universe I'm not sure why they haven't done RTU (Rock the Universe) at Islands of Adventure. I'm sure they will at one point. Given the audience it makes sense. They've already seen the wisom in utilizing IOA for Halloween so it definitely makes sense, especially given the younger audience. Ironically, I do a lot of consulting and actually contribute to both of those projects for the entertainment group. I'm not sure the reasoning but I think it's a good idea to have RTU at IOA!

Nate

Meloncov
(11/4/05 1:56 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: Night of Joy/Rock the Universe Perhaps Stuidios more compact layout is a factor? It takes a lot of walking to get from place to place at IOA, something that might not mix well with late nights and multiple bands.

Or it might have to do with Studios (presumably) higher name recognition.

Holly3216
(11/7/05 8:58 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: Night of Joy/Rock the Universe Studios seems more more compact, but it also seems that they might have more open spaces and theaters? I think IOA has 2 open theaters, and maybe you could put a band near the lake in the Port of Discovery, but I can't think of a lot of other places to put bands unless they opened up the backlot... (which is probably a pain for them). Any place that you put a band would tend to mess up the traffic pattern (since it's largely circular...and if the pathway is blocked...frustrating...).

In the Studios, I think can use the Beetlejuice and Wild West Theaters, the former boneyard area, possibly the courtyard near the animal show, the little park in front of Mel's, and there's another pretty open spot I can think of in New York just past Twister...

Maybe I have it wrong... it's been a while since I've been to Universal... I just remember being at a party UCF had at IOA. My friend had foot surgery, and we could barely get the wheelchair through some places that people had gathered to dance (ex. in front of Dueling Dragons)... and I don't think there were even any bands!

naversen1
ezOP
(11/7/05 1:41 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: Night of Joy/Rock the Universe Universal does Grad Bash at Islands of Adventure. There's a stage location at the Enchanted Oak, under the Hulk Coaster and the two large theaters (Toon Theater and Sinbad). I am sure it's quite possible to do Rock the Universe at IOA, since grad bash is done there. Perhaps it's simply because the event is called Rock the "Universe" which implies Universal Studios Florida?

I guess I should know.

Nate

Holly3216
(11/7/05 4:05 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: Night of Joy/Rock the Universe Yeah...the Enchanted Oak location is what became impassible during the UCF thing... but I guess from what I read online, Rock the Universe only uses 3 stages, Night of Joy only 4. I thought Night of Joy had tried using some extremely small stages for some of the bands no-one had heard of... but maybe they stopped doing that, and cut their # of stages. I guess it would be possible to do IOA then... the park should certainly have the capacity for it...Hmmmm...! I wonder...!

rforkel
(11/18/05 11:07 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post NOJ/RTU Yes Disney still uses the Starlight Cafe stage for solo acts with tracks and no band. Personally I think that it is way too cramped in there with the restaurant people trying to get food and the concert people trying hear the concert... Nightmare!

I don't know what IOA's capacity is but it has to be more than Studios. I know that we waited in line for food for over 30 minutes (probably closer to 45) and every restaurant was like that. Traffic flow was not so bad but I did notice some jams in a few spots that made it difficult to navigate around.

As far as bands, one thing that Disney does that I like is they appeal to different groups on different nights. I know that last year NOJ was three nights and the first night was geared more for your Baby boomer/over 40 group. The second night was geared for the Top 40/classic rock group, and the last night was geared for the Teen/youth age group with groups like Kirk Franklin, Salvador, etc. Maybe if RTU should consider varying the style a bit more than just rock groups. My group is really into Hip Hop and Rap so when RTU had GRITS, they were there, they were up front, and they were jumping like crazy fools. They could have seen just that one concert and been thrilled. I understand musical tastes and catering to your audience, but maybe if you broadened your audience you could see increased attendance. Just an observation and a thought. Had a great time though.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: