Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

Few New Things...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:06 am    Post subject: Few New Things... Reply with quote

Probably beating a dead horse... but it's nice to be able to share with people who might possibly enjoy exploring these things...

Recently I found an article about a guy who created his own small interactive attraction (which is actually quite complex and interesting)... it's potentially transportable (switch out theming and game elements)...
www.cio.com/archive/02010...ctive.html

The past week, my evenings have been taken up with:
nextart.floridafilmfestival.com/
We take an ordinary person who's willing to "play" and involve them (via actors) in an interactive story that takes place in the real world... Anyhow, there is video and text as the story develops... it's an interesting story to follow as it happens. Clearly, not everyone enjoys role-playing... but maybe there
are ways to send people on "quests" within a theme park and involve them in huge stories with interesting characters if they so wish...?

I went on Mission:Space this past week, and it was really great! I can't stand drops... so it was wonderful to go on an extreme thrill ride that wasn't a rollercoater or flume...

I also saw the new Narnia exhibit at MGM. I don't know if anyone else saw it. It seems really anticlimactic... A preshow, and then a beautifully propped room that is a whole experience in itself... dumps into a small room with a few display cases. I guess it followed a typical flow: pre-show, show, and exit sequence... I've seen other people disappointed too... What is the magic combination that makes a really great experience? What are the hallmarks of a satisfying ride/show?

Edited by: Holly3216 at: 3/29/06 5:33 pm
Digital Jedi Master
(3/30/06 3:41 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: A Few New Things...

Quote:I also saw the new Narnia exhibit at MGM. I don't know if anyone else saw it. It seems really anticlimactic... A preshow, and then a beautifully propped room that is a whole experience in itself... dumps into a small room with a few display cases. I guess it followed a typical flow: pre-show, show, and exit sequence... I've seen other people disappointed too... What is the magic combination that makes a really great experience? What are the hallmarks of a satisfying ride/show?

Speaking purely from a guest persepctive, I would site just a few things.

You should end the show with your biggest gun. If you build me up and build me up only to do so for little pay off, then I'll have farther to fall in expectations.

Secondly, I believe, if you have the option, that you shouldn't spend the majority of your resources, whether they be time, money or experience, into the preshows and set dressings, if you know your not going to be able to devote as much of these things to the attraction as originaly thought possible. Devote that to the pay off, to your grand finale. Don't line me up in a carefully sculpted and authentic looking que, only to climax the meat of the attraction with a bunch of paper cutouts dancing around on a string. Put your best effort into that finale if you can.

I also believe that attraction designers should never presume that I won't "get" a certain element of an attraction because it's beyond me. Have faith in my intellegence, don't insult it. Don't presume that because you know a demographic, that you know me.

I'm sorry, I'm sure you were looking for the insight of the proffessionals. But I hoped that a guest perspective would be beneficial, as well.

Eon Press Presents

Meloncov
(3/30/06 1:37 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Mission Space Mission space definately suffers from looking too intimidating (the "you may die" signs don't help either). I know quite a few people who never go on roller coasters who enjoyed it greatly, but most people uncomfortable with thrill rides will never try it out.

The first two links remind me of true dungeon, an event held bi-annually an Gen Con: www.truedungeon.com

I really ought to volunteer with them some year; it would give some useful practice.

Holly3216
(4/1/06 12:34 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: Mission Space I think a guest opinion is a very useful one... because in the end, it's the guests that a ride or attraction must please... If the designer likes it, but nobody else does... it's not a good design (at least, in the business world...if you're a "true artist", than it's another thing).

It's one of those things I'm trying to look at right now: What makes one ride popular and another forgettable (when some rides are very similar)? I have a feeling there's a lot of factors (ex. location, nolvelty...)... It all has to do with the guest perspective...

My friend who's hung around the Disney parks for years, seems to think that thrill seekers even sometimes pass over Mission Space... indicated it had something to do with the building design... maybe because it's a relatively small building... Anyhow, I had been passing it over because of so many reports of people getting ill from it. I only went on because there were people with me to help if I got sick... and my friend told me it wasn't bad at all (and I trust him quite a bit). It was really scary initially, though... if you've never been on a centrifuge-type ride...

"True Dungeon" looks like an RPG? RPGs are difficult because it seems you have to know the rules... and the different characters... and each character has a will and goal of their own... so you can't just "step into" an RPG. For our project, everyone (actors and crew) knew the theme and basic arc of the story beforehand except the two non-actors the story was based around. Every night, we had to find out how things went, and then adjust certain elements about the story. Though we knew where certain scenes should take place, we had to allow the characters to make the decision to go there... and to let how they thought and felt about certain characters and situations to, in some ways, become true in the story... It's a very strange art form...

Edited by: Holly3216 at: 4/1/06 12:36 pm
Meloncov
(4/1/06 12:45 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: Mission Space Yeah, True Dungeon assumes familiarity with Dungeons and Dragons. I'm not saying that an attraction styled after it would be a good idea, only that it might have some interesting ideas in it. I'll post about it after I go through it this year (assuming I can get tickets).

Holly3216
(4/1/06 1:09 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: Mission Space
Please do Wink I think there's things to learn from every branch of entertainment... I think the separate media branches (TV, internet, cell phones, theater, film, etc.) are beginning to converge... It's good to understand how people deal with the world of story... because, in the end, that's a good chunk of what we seem to be talking about when we talk about themed attractions...

BTW... just got an article link (Orlando Sentinel) that explains the project better than I just did!... (lol... tiring week) :
www.orlandosentinel.com/e...orl-caltop
isaacoomber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Hello, Reply with quote

Thanks for ones marvelous posting! I seriously enjoyed reading it, you're a great author. It contains wonderful and helpful information. I have read most of them and learned a lot from them.

http://www.waterton.ca/waterton-glacier-peace-hike.cfm
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: