Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

Ride combinations

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:29 am    Post subject: Ride combinations Reply with quote

Has anyone heard of Europa Park? There is a ride there called Poseidon. It combines a steel coaster with a log flume ride. Are there any other rides that combine styles? Smile

No Limits Thriller
(9/21/06 1:25 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: Ride combinations
There are a couple more of these watercoaster-thingies. Sea World Orlando and Sand Diego have them, and Mack also made a 1-to-1 copy of Poseidon somewhere in Portugal. Then there's a Premier Rides watercoaster in Finland, and De Efteling will open a watercoaster next season that also includes darkride-sections.

I rode a coaster at Legoland which started out as a darkride, kinda cool. The Mummy coasters also do this.

Holly3216
(9/22/06 8:07 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Mummy! Oof... The Mummy... I didn't know it was a coaster until I was on it... What a surprise! (For those who haven't been there, the vehicles are nimble little things consisting of some chairs on a platform with harnesses... I knew there were a couple of drops, but not that it was a LIM coaster!).

Spiderman at IOA is kindof a combination of dark ride and motion simulation. I can't think of any other rides like that, though.

Edited by: Holly3216 at: 9/22/06 8:17 am
dancinbelle
(9/22/06 9:24 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: Mummy! What category would DINOSAUR! at ANimal Kingdom fall under? That drop at the end probably isn't as big as I remember it, but it seemed pretty big. :eek

No Limits Thriller
(9/22/06 9:45 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: Ride combinations Tower of Terror could be considered a tower attraction and darkride in one I think? At least the "full" MGM version...

Oh and what about Universe of Energy? Definitely a combo of theater and darkride Very Happy

dancinbelle
(9/22/06 1:10 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: Ride combinations Could a water ride combine with a dark ride and combine with a steel coster? I have an idea, but it might be too complicated . . . Surprised

Holly3216
(9/22/06 4:33 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: Ride combinations I would say almost anything is possible... if the engineers can find ingenious ways to make it happen (and it seems they often do)... and there's money to develop it...

It's weird... some people tell me that there's a drop on Dinosaur, other people don't remember the drop at all...

Rhino Rally at Busch Gardens involves a safari land vehicle that becomes a raft ride (using coaster rails, apparently)... I'd call that a blended ride.

www.coasterfanatics.com/s...review.asp

Meloncov
(9/22/06 7:28 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post RE: Ride Combinations The term "Dark Ride" has more to do with the enviorment that the ride vehicle, and as such doesn't add much of an engineering challenge (well, not inherently).

Lego's dark ride/coaster uses off the shelf track sections, for example.

Holly3216
(9/22/06 9:47 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: RE: Ride Combinations I think water tends to add an engineering challenge, though... it can be brutal on electronic, scenic and other components of a ride... so if you're ramping into a steel coaster, you have to keep the dripping ride vehicle from compromising any of the components involved with accelerating (LIM, etc.) or braking the vehicle, (since the vehicle underside would be encountering large amounts of water regularly), scenic components, etc. At least that is my impression... The local experts could speak better to if this would be true or not for the kind of ride DancinBelle suggests. And maybe it's not an issue, given how many strides they've made in recent years in creating hybrid flumes.

Edited by: Holly3216 at: 9/22/06 9:56 pm
Aloric
(9/22/06 9:57 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: RE: Ride Combinations I think we need to realize what sort of ride systems really exist first...

A roller coaster has lift hills with chains or some other propulsion upward, but then essentially freewall the remainder using gravity.

A flume ride uses water propulsion - either pumps giding it through through a channel, or down slopes with lifts like a coaster.

A powered ride system follows a track but doesn't really coast/freefall, rather powers itself throughout. There are many variations of this. The most simple being the basic bus-bar, think the Snow White ride.

Then you have very complex ride vehicles on the ride system. A Dinosaur or Indian Jones ride vehicle is an EMV or "enhanced motion vehicle" running on a more complicated powered system. The vehicles rise up, pivot, rotates, shakes, etc.. like a simulator while traveling the track.

Then there are the free roaming powered vehicles.

There are various tracks for these. Great movies ride vehicles and Universe of Energy vehicles are very similiar, but Energy vehicles are more inteliigent. They are both computer controlled, and follow a guidewire embedded in a flat floor surface. Tower of Terror's vehicles are actually a very similiar system, they just happen to roll into and lock into the elevators to drop and lift.

Rhino Ralley is a driven modified real car on a real course. Then, it locks into a raft attached to a coaster-style track that is actually a motion pad too. Too bad the overall effect isn't very grand or well executed.

Then of course Tokyo's Aquatopia floats around guided by GPS.

Then of course there are simulators, and there have been simulators on tracks.

I still feel making a "ride" isn't important. You'll come up with a bad experience that way - seeking to combine various ride elements will just be the wrong place to start. It may sound cool, but it's jsut not the right way. Start with a good story or theme - then figure out how to tell it. That's where you need to start. Worrying about how to combine ride types shouldn't be a problem.

dancinbelle
(9/23/06 6:07 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: RE: Ride Combinations I have a storyline idea already. Has anyone seen the ride sequences in the Emperor's New Groove and Kronk's New Groove? Disney did those scenes, so it's surprising they haven't made a ride version yet.

Holly3216
(9/29/06 7:38 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: RE: Ride Combinations
Hey dancinbelle... You asked: "Could a water ride combine with a dark ride and combine with a steel coster? I have an idea, but it might be too complicated . . . "

It looks like de Efteling is working on it... In these photos, you can see what looks like coaster track:
coaster-net.com/forums/lo...t4192.html

This site describes parts of the darkride and mentions the "splashdown":
www.themeparkinsider.com/...hollander/

Unfortunately, it appears they may be still working out the kinks:
www.screamscape.com/html/efteling.htm

I was trying to find more specific info for what the problem is... I have a feeling I would have more luck if I were multi-lingual!

I don't remember the ride sequence in Emperor's New Groove... Unfortunately... It's been a long time... Tarzan had a lively sequence that might have made an interesting coaster ("vine-surfing")... alas...

It's fun to work on these concepts, though... And maybe, after they figure out how to get the Flying Dutchman going, coaster/water/dark rides will be something we'll see more of...

Edited by: Holly3216 at: 9/29/06 7:40 pm
dancinbelle
(10/4/06 9:38 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post disney rides Yeah, there is a scene in most new Disney movies that would make an awesome ride. What about an inverted coaster done up like the door chase scene in Monsters Inc.?

<< Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: