Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

Everest

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:30 am    Post subject: Everest Reply with quote

've heard about the Mt. Everest ride at Animal Kingdom. Is it good? It sounded similar to the Matterhorn, 'cause they both feature an Abominable Snowman. What kind of ride system does it use?

Holly3216
(10/16/06 9:48 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Everest
www.ultimaterollercoaster...t_ak.shtml

Although the style of the ride seems like it is similar to Mummy (dark, with reverse portion), the word out on the internet seems to be that Everest uses a chain lift (Mummy apparently uses LIM, making it very lithe and quick in its accelerations). The Yeti is worlds away from the old animatronics of 50 years ago. It is said to move incredibly fast (the power behind it being like that of a jet taking off). They had to make the structure for the Yeti separate from the one for the track and the one for the mountain (because each one vibrates in a different way). The structures are all wrapped around each other, but apparently not attached to each other. Oh... and the theming for Everest is supposed to be top notch. I haven't been on Everest, since I'm a chicken. There are ride videos available online... I've seen the mountain in person though... wicked drop (much like Splash Mountain, the drop is exposed for all to see). I hear it's pretty good (I also hear that the new Nemo ride at Living Seas is very well done... go imagineering!)

No Limits Thriller
(10/17/06 5:39 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Thrills Another coaster for Disney - they should stop with the thrillrides now. Or last year actually. It does look like a cool ride though, with a very neat queueline.

Oh btw, a launched coaster is not necessarily more lithe. The Mummy's trains are just shorter making the design of the track more flexible Smile

I have only ridden the Mummy in LA, so I actually don't know a lot about the Orlando rides. Nemo looks to be great though, indeed

Holly3216
(10/18/06 10:16 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: Thrills
Hmm...good point... less length means less distance to stop and start... so you have more flexibility... I think LIM can give you a more unexpected ride, though... because you can be on a flat surface or upslope, and suddenly accelerate without any real experience of friction or resistance (much like the LIM catapault-launch of Rock 'n' Rollercoaster), which violates our normal experience of the physics of rolling things...

I haven't ridden the LA version... so I guess we're even... I would imagine they're pretty similar. I agree with the addition of thrill rides. Much of my family has no real interest in visiting theme parks because health-wise they can't go on any ride that shakes or goes fast. When I was young, it was my grandparents who took me to the parks... Now I see very few elderly at the Disney parks... I mostly see late-twenties/early-thirties (often with children) or teens/tweens... It seems like the parks are tending to narrow the potential age-bracket and type of person who will visit by targeting thrill-seekers... It's probably the easiest deomographic to serve, though... Personally, I prefer to stop and smell the roses... which is why I visit Epcot... but that is slowly being taken over by thrill rides too... At some point, the different parks will stop feeling like they have unique identities...

dancinbelle
(10/20/06 4:50 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Coasters What about that Pimeval Whirl ride? I saw an ad for Disney that featured it, and it looked like a carnival ride!! The track was neon colors, and outside. Is it as bad as it looks?

jeffreyyapp
(10/20/06 8:42 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Everest and Whirl First off, Everest had some of the most beautiful theming I've ever seen in a queue line. The attention to the detail was some of the best I've seen from Disney over the last decade.

Unfortunately, once you're on the ride the theming gets a little sparse. There's some, but it's basically you're typical (though a little bit faster) runaway-train ride. The exception, of course, is the Yeti. Now, I'm gonna get hate-mail for this, I'm sure:

The yeti was a letdown.

All you heard for months leading up to its debut was how fascinatingly incredibly advanced the Yeti was. TV documetary shows featured how incredibly advanced it was. EVERYBODY wanted to see the Yeti.

IF you were lucky enough to look up at the right moment AND didn't blink, you MIGHT have seen it for about a second and a half. The sight-lines were off, and they really didn't do anything to draw your focus before you saw it. I rode it a few times just after it opened, and it was impressive the 2nd and 3rd times when I knew when to look up.

ANyway, that's my 2 cents. Beautiful and engagin queue line (too good, actually, for the story ON the ride became a let-down) and you hardly get to see all the hype of the Yeti. Don't get me wrong- I like the ride. I was just a little let down.

Primeval Whirl.

As far as the theme goes: Well, it's supposed to look like a carny ride. That whole area is supposed to be a time-trapped carnival atmospere, and the themeing plays that up adequately enough. It kind of feels like you're in a pinball game, which was an interesting take on the ride.

It's definately a when-you've-done-everything-else kind of ride if you're with adults. If you're with kids, they'll enjoy it (Especially since there's little else for them to do in the park, really)

Holly3216
(10/20/06 8:49 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Primeval It's kinda fun looking although that area is laid out pretty much like a permanant carnival -- there's several turn-key rides (like a Dumbo ride, except with triceratops instead of elephants) spread out on a concrete tarmack. The ride is outside... The track is relatively long... The vehicles are circular, and spin pretty randomly... I've heard that the ride can be a bit hard on the rider because of getting whipped around.

I documented a bit of the ride last time I was in the park (from the sideline). Here are 3 pictures:
www.flickr.com/photos/609...otostream/

Hopefully that gives you a bit of a taste of what the ride is... The ride is kindof mish-mash... It's interesting theming for a sort-of "wild-mouse" thing... but it doesn't really look "Disney" if you know what I mean...

dancinbelle
(10/21/06 6:15 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Carnival I'm not a big fan of the carnival look, especially after seeing those pictures. It doesn't look as safe to me for some reason. I've been on carny coaster, and they usually suck! The set-up of the seats could be a problem. What do families do if they have 3 kids? most rides at Disney are in two's, so it's a little easier to be together.

Holly3216
(10/21/06 5:17 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post PW It's a little larger than a usual carny coaster (my photo only shows half the coaster... The loading area is right in the middle of the frontside, so it's hard to get a good shot of the whole thing)... but yeah... it's just a wild-mouse. I think there are 4 seats per vehicle (you can see 4 headrests). It looks pretty solid in person (big bulky scooped vehicles riding on tubular steel), but at the end of the day, it's still a dino-themed mini-coaster sitting on a concrete pad... There must be some way to make it look... less like a smattering (pile) of steel girders! Most people who post online seem pretty underwhelmed with the Hester and Chester Dino-rama (or whatever it is) in the Dinoland... and the area is very uncharacteristic of the park as a whole (stylistically and in layout)...

dancinbelle
(10/22/06 6:44 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post yeah Did Imagineering have an off-day, or were they too caught up in Everest? I found some great pictures of Expedition at www.wdwmagic.com/beastly.htm Does the park run in the winter, or do the animals hide? :lol

Holly3216
(10/22/06 9:36 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: yeah Word on the street - PW wasn't in their hands:

forums.wdwmagic.com/archi...25914.html

I would believe it too. Theming turn-key rides is the kind of project they could outsource easily (especially to the level PW is themed), and then have the firm send drawings and drafts back to an art director at Disney for approval and revision.

Like the other parks, Animal Kingdom is open 365 days/year (pending hurricane!). I think the big cats have heated rocks to sleep on... no idea what happens with the animals when it gets really cold. Every once in a while, we get a really bad cold snap (30-40 farenheit)... But the average winter temp here is probably around 60 or 65 farenheit, which probably isn't too miserable for the animals. Sometimes different parts of the park close for rain, though (the first time out there, we couldn't go to Rafiki's Planet Watch(?)... they wouldn't let us off the train because of flooding... I've also seen some of the animal trials close).

dancinbelle
(10/23/06 9:17 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post animal catering
A nice heated rock, what more can a big cat ask for? I went once a few years ago, it was the first time I ever saw a komodo dragon. Do they sell the simba's paw ice cream any more? It was exclusiveto animal kingdom, and it was my favorite!!:lol It seemed to be a really long bus ride, where is it in relation to the other parks?

No Limits Thriller
(10/23/06 11:42 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: Everest

Quote:Hmm...good point... less length means less distance to stop and start... so you have more flexibility...

Actually, it's more because of a larger difference in speeds with large trains. But that is a technical thing...

Quote:I haven't ridden the LA version... so I guess we're even... I would imagine they're pretty similar.

The LA one, as far as I know, is a lot smaller. I hear good things about the Orlando one but the LA version really is a kiddie coaster. Or it feels like it at least.

Quote:Personally, I prefer to stop and smell the roses... which is why I visit Epcot... but that is slowly being taken over by thrill rides too... At some point, the different parks will stop feeling like they have unique identities...

Exactly. For thrillrides, I'm happy to visit Sux Flags, or more usual on this side of the pond - Phantasialand, Blackpool Pleasure Beach, or whatever. On a side note, I've always found it peculiar that American parks are usually either thrillparks or theme parks, whereas in Europe a lot of parks combine naked thrill machines with themed attractions and areas.

Quote:What about that Pimeval Whirl ride? I saw an ad for Disney that featured it, and it looked like a carnival ride!! The track was neon colors, and outside. Is it as bad as it looks?

It actually *is* a carnival ride Wink

dancinbelle
(10/23/06 12:41 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post oh I guess people lead such fast-paced lives, they feel they have to cram as much excitement into their vacations as possible. Europeans have more vacation time, so they're a little more laid back. I really liked Europa Park because it had a really good feel to it, but still had enough thrill rides.

No Limits Thriller
(10/23/06 2:01 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: oh Europa Park is nice, although I would like to see immersive theming there instead of the insanely fast-paced expansion it is going through right now. Coaster this year, darkride in 2007, another coaster in 2008. Wow!

No Limits Thriller
(10/23/06 2:03 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: oh

Quote:At some point, the different parks will stop feeling like they have unique identities...

Yeah, indeed. But do you think this will translate in a smaller audience, less profits and overall depression of any individual park?

Meloncov
(10/23/06 6:22 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post RE: Everest Jeffery, are you sure that the Yeti was working when you saw it? It had a lot of techincal difficulties at first, so they faked its movement using lighting.

dancinbelle
(10/25/06 4:02 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post size How big is the Yeti? How far away from the track is it? Does it look like the monster in the Matterhorn?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: