Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

Question regarding "Walt's revolution

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:49 am    Post subject: Question regarding "Walt's revolution Reply with quote

, by the numbers&q Hi all,

I'll be away for a few weeks for a study trip to China. However, before I leave this friday I'm just working a little bit on a project of mine. I have used "Walt's revolution, by the numbers" a lot. But there's one thing in that book I don't yet understand. Buzz speaks of minimal space for restaurants etc, in square feet per person. The question is: Is this square feet per person who uses any such facility, or square feet per person of the estimated audience? I hope the subtle difference is clear - I just don't understand if I should multiple this figure by the estimated audience, or something else.

Thanks,
Tonny

Holly3216
(11/24/06 1:40 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Numbers?
Hmmm... I've never read the book. I'm actually wondering what sorts of numbers he gives in this book (I'm working on a thesis about rides and attractions). Does he provide a lot of facts and figures or just a few examples?

No Limits Thriller
(12/15/06 1:52 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: Numbers? It's mostly a method on deriving the audience size and things like that, so not a whole lot of facts in there. That's what my own problem is as well. I now derived the design day attendance, but how do I use this to get:

*practical footpath widths
*number of restaurant seats needed
*length of queueing space needed for top attractions

Etc.

Any ideas how to derive those?

Holly3216
(12/15/06 9:25 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post numbers...argh grah! length of queueing space: if you could figure out max number of people that would be in line... there are probably measures of how much space per person is comfortable for people, required by fire code, etc... I wonder if there are any books on planning of public spaces that would help you... I would bet people who design public parks, malls, convention centers, museums, etc. have to solve some of the same or similar problems, and might have some numerical guidelines that they use...

naversen1
ezOP
(12/28/06 1:44 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: numbers...argh FYI, most Disneyland queue's were designed prior to 1994 (and pre-fastpass) with about 25 minutes of standing queue with extended queue outside.

The queue width is determined mostly by ADA requirements. 48 inches works well in most cases.

While crowds can pack together, in general, most people will use about 6-8 square feet per person to feel comfortable in a space.

Nate

No Limits Thriller
(12/28/06 6:10 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: numbers...argh Wow, that's interesting information. 25 minutes isn't that much really, or at least it doesn't sound much. I know from experience that Paris' potc queue takes about 45 minutes when it's entirely full though, so I guess it makes sense.

Useful info. Thank you! Smile

P.S. Considering your post titel...are you not a fan of the book?

Edited by: No Limits Thriller at: 12/28/06 6:10 pm
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: