Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

Right track

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Eddie's Archive - Insights from creative guru and former Disney Imagineer Eddie Sotto
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Right track Reply with quote

Right track? Posted 2-17-2003 22:37 patgrinch [guest] from Imagination Portal
Right track? Posted 2-17-2003 22:37

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey everyone. Right before Christmas last year I asked a few questions, but they were not really answered.lol. So maybe someone can help. I am currently attending the International Academy of Design and Technology (IADT) in Fairmont, WV and taking classes in Visual Communications(VisCom). Basically VisCom is animation and illustration on both paper and the computer. My future goal is to become a theme park or themed attraction illustator. Ever since I could hold a pencil I have been involved in art. Throughout high school I took every art class avalible including AP Studio Art. I only have one year left of college from today and I really need help in locating internships or jobs for this career. It is really hard for me to work towards this career, mainly because I am from West Virginia, a state that currently has no theme parks or even design companies.

I really would like to discuss my goals with someone in this field, but as I said I have no way of contacting anyone close because on my location. Next year, if I dont find connections or line up a job, I will be moving to Florida and getting a job that is at least simular to my goals and trying to get jobs and make contacts. Like Nate said, "You have to go to where the work is."

Another question, if anyone is interested in viewing my portfolio or would like to ask me any questions about how serious I am, then please contact me. I am very serious about my goals and without sounding cocky, I am very skilled in my artwork and also using programs such as PhotoShop and Illustrator. Please help me in anyway you can.

Thank You, Patrick

patgrinch02@yahoo.com
Patrick Brown
1261 Apt. 1 Pleasant Valley Rd.
Fairmont, WV 26554
(304) 368-9471

Tweedle-D [guest] from Imagination Portal
Free-lance route Posted 2-18-2003 01:10

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I personally know several of the top attraction illustrators in the Central Florida area, and I'm familiar with several others. Every one of them is free-lancing. Very few attraction design companies around here employ illustrators full-time any more, though some keep a graphics person on staff, so that's still a possibility. But if it's illustration work you're looking for, you may have to try the free-lance route. Good luck.

patgrinch [guest] from Imagination Portal
thanks Posted 2-18-2003 05:08

Hey tweedle-D

Thank you for your info. Hopefully more people will continue to make suggestions. You said that you knew a lot of designers and Illustrators, could you possibly help me to contact some of them as long as they didnt mind? Thank you. To everyone else, please continue replying to my other questions. Thanks, Pat

Tweedle-D [guest] from Imagination Portal
Illustrator Contacts Posted 2-18-2003 18:55

Sorry I can't make any personal introductions for you. But there's no reason why you can't take the initiative and establish contact with these illustrators on your own. They are all pretty friendly people and if you approach them in a courteous and undemanding way, I'm sure they'll be willing to answer your questions. Here are three to get you started:

Reggie Stanton:
www.reggiestanton.com

Kenn Hardy:
www.kennhardy.com

Mike Conrad/Radical Concepts
www.radicalconcepts.com
NOTE: I'm not sure if Mike's site is up and running. If not, look for his contact info here:
www.createmagazine.com/CF...butors.cfm

Have your questions prepared in advance and be patient; these gentlemen can be very busy at times and it might take them a while to respond to you. Also, I'd advise checking out the Themed Entertainment Association (TEA) online member directory, to which Nate has thoughtfully posted a link here on the Imagination Portal under the heading "Trade Associations." It's free and it could be very helpful. I believe you will find that your success will be proportional to the amount of effort and initiative you are willing to exert.

Good luck to you.

patgrinch [guest] from Imagination Portal
thanks Posted 2-18-2003 20:52

Thanks Tweedle-D

Thank you for your help. I'm sure that these links will be a big help. Thanks again and please keep in touch. Also, everyone else keep up your thoughts and info. I need all I can get. Thanks, Pat

nate from Imagination Portal
. Posted 2-23-2003 18:48

Tweedle - you definitely know some of the good ones! That's good advice, networking wise.

Nate
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Eddie's Archive - Insights from creative guru and former Disney Imagineer Eddie Sotto All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: