Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

Simple question on track spikes

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:03 am    Post subject: Simple question on track spikes Reply with quote

well im doing some research on roller coaster maintenance for a group project and i came across the term "track spikes" here

"They look for loose bolts and track spikes, cracked wood and any other problem that may have occurred during the night."

i would like to know what they are i cant find anything on them, any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers Jon

No Limits Thriller
(3/20/07 2:40 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post A guess...
Well, I'm not sure but I suppose a track spike is a location where the structure is strained in a way that makes the track have a sudden bump in it - not discontinuous but discontinuous in the 1st derivative, where the track suddenly changes it's angle of descent/ascent. But this is a more-or-loss educated guess.

elpl
(3/20/07 8:18 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post about the guess mmmm.. i thought that too but i wasnt sure.
what did u mean by "discontinuous but discontinuous in the 1st derivative"?

thanks though.

dougbain
(3/21/07 1:28 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: about the guess A search on yahoo turned up a site for Roller Coaster Tycoon with a ride that is an Inverted Impulse Coaster. The train goes out of the station and up a single piece of track that goes up in the air, then the train goes back down, through the station, and up another one going the other way. It is pretty much a U-shape, with the track twisting a bit (corkscrew).
rctinc.tycoonplanet.com/i...ndex.shtml
(a little more than half way down)
A real version of it is on one of the roller coaster DVD's that we have, but I forgot which park it is in.

I think your issue means something else, though. It could mean steel that has burrs (spikes) that could be a problem for the wheels, sensors...

Edited by: dougbain at: 3/21/07 1:30 am
No Limits Thriller
(3/21/07 1:51 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: about the guess Discontinuous in the 1st derivative is a mathematical thing. The 1st derivative of a line is it's slope. If a line is discontinuous than it suddenly stops and starts elsewhere. Discontinuous in the 1ist derivative means that a line has a certain slope, and suddenly changes to another slope in one sinlge point, meaning that the 2 parts of the line come together in a sort of arrow-shape. Hope that makes sense Smile

elpl
(4/5/07 11:11 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: about the guess no the spike for me is a ,maintenence issue and not part of the roller coaster design i think im nclined to agree with No Limits Thriller on this. Cheers guys i think that really helped.

MartinJSoles
(5/25/07 2:51 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: track spike Is it possible that a loose track spike would be just that, a spike, driven through the track into the supporting structure? A loose one would be one that could come out, damaging the train, passengers, or by-standers.

elpl
(5/26/07 12:22 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post re:track spike lol i never thought of that and its probably the most simplest and most likely explanation but wouldnt that b the case for wooden coaster track and not a metal coaster track and what would the arrow shaped bump on the track be called?

MartinJSoles
(6/18/07 4:05 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: track spike Metal coasters have bolts to hold the track to the support scaffolding. Couldn't they be considered the rail spike?

As for the little arrow things. How about a burr?

Granted, I'm not in the industry. Just a WAG.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: