Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

Spiderwebs

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: Spiderwebs Reply with quote

Out of pure curiosity, I keep wondering what the spiderwebs in the WDW Haunted Mansion are made of (for example, in the loading area, the chandeliers are covered with them)... They look more realistic than Halloween stuff... I know the dust is Fuller's Earth... but what are the spiderwebs? They are wonderful-looking! Does anyone know?

dancinbelle
(5/11/07 6:20 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Rubber
I found a description at Grimghosts.com:

Webs come in a liquid form similar to Rubber Cement and are sprayed through a device very much like a hand-held drill with a fan blade mounted on the end (the “spinning” effect is very similar to how cotton candy is made).

The webs are then dusted (as are much of the furniture and walls) with a substance called “Fuller’s Earth”. Larger webs, such as those spun by “giant spiders” and those found in the Ballroom, are sprayed over thin strings tried together in web patterns by the Imagineers. This effect seems to be replenished more frequently at Walt Disney World than Disneyland. The webs are apparently quite powdery and loose to the touch.

Hope it helps!

Holly3216
(5/12/07 10:47 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: Rubber
Thanks! That makes sense for how delicate those webs are... I rode the other night near some teenagers who had never been to Disney... they didn't even know it was a ride... they kept looking at the facade and going "it can't be". It was so much fun to see their enthusiasm (and fear). I've been on it so many times I don't get scared anymore... but I love watching other people's reactions... and they certainly do a great job setting the tone in the foyer and queue before people get on the ride (right down to those fantastic spiderwebs!).

naversen1
ezOP
(7/6/07 9:04 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: Spiderwebs The reason most of them look like real cobwebs is because they really are. When I used to work on that ride, the set dressers would come in and put in the spiderwebs, but then they'd just let the real ones accumulate over time. There was a debate among the operations people about how far it should be allowed to go. After a while those cobwebs can detract from the show. But overall, I think it added to the ambiance (not to mention the allergies) of the cast members.

Nate

Holly3216
(7/6/07 5:14 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: Spiderwebs lol... i guess refurb doesn't include cleaning the place out while doing the maintainence! I don't think i would like that just because cobweb spiders creep me out (they are very fat and scary-looking). I didn't know you used to work on that ride! It seems like it would be a very interesting location to work at every day... and I would bet if you aren't in a chipper mood, it doesn't really detract from your stage presence like it does in merchandise, lol... I've worked food carts at Busch Gardens and merchandise at Universal (Terminator 2 store, sometimes Lucy, Hitchcock or Brown Derby)... a different experience from attractions I am sure...

naversen1
ezOP
(7/23/07 2:28 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: Spiderwebs The interesting thing about working at Mansion is that in order to get guests to smile, you actually have to force yourself to not smile. They expect it! For whatever reason, usually 17 year old girls or 12 year old boys would try to get me to smile. And of course, having nothing else to do all day except for practicing not to smile... you get really good at not smiling. Sometimes they try really hard, and I could crack them up with a frowning, terse, "Don't make me laugh." Great fun.

Of course, the only bad part about working at Mansion is that because you're supposed to be 'unhappy', it often translates to the cast members snapping at each other. Still, a good experience and I loved the end-of-day walk-throughs (to pick up trash) where we would spend most of our time checking out the cool props and effects.

Nate
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: