Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

IAAPA Expo Question

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dreamtotheme

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: IAAPA Expo Question Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if it is appropriate for a recent college graduate, who is not yet employed in the field to attend this conference? Do people who have attended it previously know if it would be a good opportunity for networking and gaining knowledge of the types of companies that are out there? Also, is there any type of one day pass for just exploring the exhibition floor?

Thanks soo much for your help and recommendations!

-Maribeth
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Maribeth, my first experience with the IAAPA show was last year in Atlanta. I actually have been wanting to go for years now but finally got the first chance last year. Back when I was in college, I emailed one of the expo directors and explained that I was looking to get into the entertainment engineering industry and that I wanted to know if I could get some sort of complimentary pass just so that I could come and talk to different companies. Well a few weeks later I got my expo card in the mail and the show pass, so they granted my request. I actually didnt end up going that year due to school conflicts, go figure :? But since last year, let me tell you, I will not miss again because it is out of this world. I will also be talking with some people about jobs and all when Im there, so I think its a great networking opportunity for whomever. Im not saying they will go and give you a free pass, but it never hurts to ask. Let me know if you need any more info. take care!

Nate M.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maribeth -

I think you should definitely go. Every 10 feet there's something new and more people to talk to. Be sure you don't get stuck in the area that has all the bounce houses and inflatables. Go talk to people who run interesting companies. They are always the presidents and the people you'll want to meet. But over all, definitely explore... who knows...maybe you'll want to go work designing mini-golf courses? You never know where you'll find your passion. IAAPA is a great place to start! Be sure to attend the Future of Themed Entertainment seminar put on by TEA each year. That's the highlight for me.

Nate
dreamtotheme

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions. I emailed the coordinators and they suggested that I apply for their student ambassador program, so I did. Hopefully, I will be able to go to the convention that way, but if not, I will probably still look into attending it through the normal registration, as it sounds like it could be a great opportunity. Thanks again for your help!

-Maribeth
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even through the normal route it will be the best money you've spent. It will really open your eyes to the possibilities.

Nate
dreamtotheme

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm super excited, because I just found out that I am going to be a show intern at the Expo in November. Thanks for all of your advice!

-Maribeth
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats great! let me know where youll be working and ill stop and say hey!
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw IAAPA yesterday. Did anyone else go? I thoroughly enjoyed the show!! Smile
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man the show was great! I got to meet and talk to alot of people in the industry and saw alot of great products. I went to a seminar on wednesday afternoon which 3 of the guys who shaped Disney talking about feasability vs creativity vs operations...it was interesting plus I got to meet and shake hands with marty sklar, which was a real honor. I was gonna give you a buzz Nate but time got away from me and we had to take care of some personal stuff while we were there. Ill probably be back down in January for a weekend.
Holly
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: IAAPA! Reply with quote

Yeah... IAAPA was great Smile I wish I had gotten to see the Marty Sklar thing, but I was only out there two days, and it was kindof a whirlwind. I think I only saw 3/4 of the floor, but I learned more about doing business in our industry than I can shake a stick at! So it was a good thing... I hope ya'll had fun too Very Happy
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: