Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

Job application

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thriller

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject: Job application Reply with quote

Hi there,

I've almost finished my bachelor in mechanical engineering. As it turns out, a local amusement rides manufacturer has vacanies right now. So, I'm thinking about applying for a job there, even though I've barely started my masters degree.

Unfortunately, I have hardly any experience when it comes to job applications, interviews etc. Anyone have any tips? Smile
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this is an easy one. You don't need experience if you have skills and desire. You can emphasize this point in an interview... that you have sklls and desire. It's actually a good thing from their point of view that you don't have experience, because this means they won't have to pay you as much. And the fact that you've got skills means you can help them, and desire means you'll be a good employee.

My advice is to find three important skills that you can help them with. If you're not sure what they need, ask them without sounding like a complete rookie. "Why don't you tell me what skills you need the most and I'll be able to better explain how I can help" ... from there you simply emphasize how you fit the job. If you're charming, nice and persistent, you may have good luck!

Nate
Thriller

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips! It won't be hard to tell something about my enthousiasm, so I guess that is a good idea indeed. We'll see how it turns out.

Thanks again!
Thriller

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've had a chat earlier this week. If I manage to pass my last bachelor-test next week, my changes will be good. Of course it's way to early to tell, but the thought alone excites me - a lot!
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an aside, I would recommend getting out of the frame of mind of applying for a job. Instead you should network and make friends in the right places. Go to networking events. Meet people. In my humble opinion, "applying for a job" is a term born from depression era thinking, passed to our parents from our grandparents who experienced it. The better way to do it is to learn how to network. If you can do this successfully, you'll never lack a job because new work is but a phone call away.

Nate
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its funny that you mention that about applying for a job, although i do agree with you. Yesterday i was browsing the Universal website job board and came across a job that I felt I had the right knowledge and experience to apply for. So I sent my resume and a letter to them. I also sent a copy to Mark Woodbury who is i guess the head man over there, so Ill keep my fingers crossed that someone calls me!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: