Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

How big does an amusement park need to be?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sfan00

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: How big does an amusement park need to be? Reply with quote

I am asking because of any idea someone put into my head about "mini-parks" utilising old warehouse sites...
MartinJ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've seen using Google and Live maps, the property will be split almost equally between 2 parking lots (public and employee) and the park proper, the vehicles take up just that little bit extra. I'm disregarding some things, such as paths and roads.

I don't think that there is any physical minimum size that a park must be. Although, you would be really limiting yourself on just a couple acres of land. (Anyone want to ride their only ride again? Hey, we won't lose our vehicle in this parking lot.)
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not really a theme park when it gets down to warehouse size. At that point it gets down to what's called an FEC or Family Entertainment Center.

If you go a tad larger, they're called RDE's or Retail / Dining and Entertainment complexes.

Nate
Sfan00

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="admin"]That's not really a theme park when it gets down to warehouse size. At that point it gets down to what's called an FEC or Family Entertainment Center.

If you go a tad larger, they're called RDE's or Retail / Dining and Entertainment complexes.

Nate[/quote]

OK maybe that is what I probably meant then RDE or FEC's.

But then the Metro Centre is Newcastle seems to be able to do a theme
park like things in a small space (http://www.metroland.uk.com/1.html)

My other example would possibly be the the now defunct Segaworld in London's Trocedaro, which these days is nothing more than a glorified Amusement arcade which I think is a real shame, that said an FEC that cannot understandably bring in the BIG rides, has to generate the revenue somehow, and video game arcades are a BIG revenue draw...

Would this be what you in the states term an FEC/RDE?
(I was assuming you meant something like Disney Quest?)

Are there examples of 'good' FEC/RDE because to my mind a lot of the small/medium scale retail/ entertainment complex I've encounterd in
the UK seem a bit 'cheap'. Purely functional, pusedo-industrial architecture, with nothing that says why should I choose here over
a rival complex?

Think about how say the old picture palace/flea pit cinema compared to
the modern chain 'theater' and you should start to (excuse the pun)
get the picture

Getting slightly off topic (given that themeing for retail isn't usally the main focus of the group), it is my view that in some areas a poor understanding of the 'theming' or atmosphere of a place has wrecked the atmosphere of what were previously prime 'retail' attractions...

The 'regeneration' of Camden Stables Market being a very clear
example in my mind of how not to do it, if what I've heard alleged about
the new plans are true.. (On a simmilar note Carnaby Street and High Street Kensington no longer seem to have that which made them special.)

In other locations, were the designs have been more sensitive, regeneration that's been 'themed' to fit in with the place has worked
wonders Smile

Getting back on topic...

OK So a Medium scale FEC, would not be able to have the big rides
that an outdoor park could have, but you could still have rides that are
scaled to the size of the entire complex... In any case the type of attraction you would have in an FEC would not be of the major thrill ride
design anyway given the target demographics..

One of my own thoughts for a 'warehouse' attractions were along the lines of Atlantis. Space Station or Underground ideas, because they would be strictly speaking easier to theme..

One idea, I had but never really developed (mainly because the MIB ride got their first with some of the ideas) was to have a 'UFO' hanger, the attractions within it being effectively sci-fi themed but with the aim of informing about some modern day plausible science. I had this vision of someone coming away saying 'Cute Aliens! Who ever that relativity could be fun?' , ' Wow, so that's what they see, Mosaic!" "Oh my,5 mins and I am already speaking Alien!" and (with profuse apologies) " I have dealt with R,D and I firms, and with the castee's catastrophic 'perms'. But singing dancing quantum terms were really FAR too much for me!!"
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metroland is definitely a family entertainment center. Generally this is just one business that may be indoors, outdoors or both. It can include go-carts, mini-golf, video games, batting cages, bumper boats and more. Disney Quest is definitely a family entertainment center.

A R/D/E Retail Dining and Entertainment complex is something more akin to a shopping mall with an entertainment edge. Newport on the Levy in Cincinatti, CityWalk, Downtown Disney, Sony Metreon in San Francisco are all considered RDE's. These have more than one business, are generally the size of a shopping mall of sorts. Instead of a 90%-10% retail / dining to entertainment balance it's more 50% - 50%.

Does that clear things up?

Nate
Sfan00

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="admin"]Metroland is definitely a family entertainment center. Generally this is just one business that may be indoors, outdoors or both. It can include go-carts, mini-golf, video games, batting cages, bumper boats and more. Disney Quest is definitely a family entertainment center.
[/quote]

Yeah that definitely sounds like Segaland when it was open Smile

[quote]
A R/D/E Retail Dining and Entertainment complex is something more akin to a shopping mall with an entertainment edge. Newport on the Levy in Cincinatti, CityWalk, Downtown Disney, Sony Metreon in San Francisco are all considered RDE's. These have more than one business, are generally the size of a shopping mall of sorts. Instead of a 90%-10% retail / dining to entertainment balance it's more 50% - 50%.
[/quote]
Church Street Station? to give an additional example...

[quote]
Does that clear things up?
[/quote]
Yes, Thanks most informative.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Church street station in Orlando definitely counts although it's more of a downtown / throwback that got put out of business by CityWalk and Downtown Disney. It's in desperate need of redevelopment, for something that will cater to something other than the club / bar scene crowd.

Nate
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: