Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

Disaster Studios at Universal Studios Florida

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Disaster Studios at Universal Studios Florida Reply with quote

Has anyone seen it yet? I'd be curious to hear what you guys think.

Nate
rcj3

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a google search and this is what I found. Is this the right thing?

http://universalignited.com/new-years-day-2008-update.html
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the one!
aquawaldo321

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its really amazing! the ride is the same, but the best part is the new pre-show rooms! they have a peppers ghost effect, and it is like nothing i have ever seen before. you should check it out if you can!
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on the project team with Universal Creative for this ride. I would REALLY love to hear what you guys think of it.

Nate
thericky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disaster's grand opening was yesterday and Universal Studios held a fun press event to kick it off. Orlando Attractions Magazine was there with coverage of the whole thing. We've put a 10-minute video and a photo gallery online at http://www.attractionsmagazine.com featuring the whole opening ceremony, a bit of the pre-show and ride, and interviews with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and more.

It's a fun update to the old attraction. The best parts are still there and the formerly-dull parts have been infused with comedy and enthusiasm.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for this information. I was there. But I was hoping you guys might tell me what you thought of the attraction / good / bad / ugly.
Holly
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... sorry Nate, haven't seen it... gonna probably be a while before I get over to Universal... I will probably pay for admission once everything is open and running -- I know people working on the other projects as well...
Loric

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it!

I went on it earlier this month, like the first week of January, as part of a trip to Universal to get some "perspective" (I got Uni APs because I was getting burnt out on Disney).

My thoughts, as best I recall them, meant to be constructive criticism if anything:

1. The exterior queue is interesting, I noticed the painted holes in the wall and such. It really could use firm railing. I don't know if that's the final queue or just a temporary setup, but the long periods between loads makes it really rough just standing in an open area mapped out by mesh fencing. Positive note: the faux set pieces were really interesting.

2. Pre Show 1: Nice, but cramped. That mini-stage could use better separation from the rest of the room because people end up on it accidentally and unwittingly.

3. Pre Show 2: I think preshow 2 is the pepper's ghost room. Impressive use of the effect, but tweaking the intensity of the image so it doesn't look so "ghostly" was needed when i saw it. Also, the audio from the projection was too low - making the live host spiels seems really loud. The interaction with the room was a very nice touch.

3. PreShow 3: I was a little bummed that the multi-level "Earthquake" set wasn't really utilized. Also, maybe more emphasis on when the clips filmed will be used? I left that area wondering when I'd see them again. Felt very rushed, but that might of been the host.

4. The ride: I like the show animation for the vehicles, i remember before thinking it was overly "choreographed" so all the vehicles did the same thing, so i like what it does now. It could just be me remembering it differently though. The transition tunnel effect doesn't work the way it used to. Those strips of light, etc.. just aren't looking right and before they used to be pretty effective.

The final montage was very nice and surprising in how they combined the scenes. I didn't expect it, which is new for me Wink I'm one of those people who figures out movie plots in the first 5 minute, so if you surprised me, you did a good job.

I would say my biggest criticism is that the preshow where they film the audience feels rushed. I dont know if it was my live actor or what, but they were scrambling to get it all shot and then horde us out. I almost feel like the choosing of actors should be done there, with more time spent in that room, rather then before the peppers ghost room. Gave me enough time to forget that people were chosen and what for.

All around, audio up please. I couldn't hear the peppers ghost sections very well and the guy who talks to you on the screens in the vehicles was too muted too. I'm not deaf, but i do have problems hearing amid noise - as i'm sure many other people do too.

That's what stood out to me.. i didn't really notice much about the theaters, their size, etc.. or the lighting or anything, so obviously i was actually watching the show Smile Props for that.

Overall i think it's an improvement over the old show.
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally saw disaster a couple weeks ago...and yes that first preshow is really cramped...i really enjoyed the musion technology with christopher walken, seemed very realistic at times. nate was telling me that it looks best when he is against a black backdrop because otherwise it is vaguely transparent...you can sorta see the brick wall thru him in some shots, but still very good job on it. Is this a variation of peppers ghost or just a good projection system on some sort of scrim? I could see some seams in whatever it was projected on, but not that noticeable to general public.
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh well wikipedia just states that Musion Eyeliner is a form of peppers ghost illusion, so that answers that question...
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, a musion pepper's ghost doesn't look best against a black backdrop. In order for Chris Walken to look like he's not just floating in space, it's better to place him in front of a dark color like a dark blue or purple.
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops, i must have misunderstood...but is the reflective screen angled out towards the audience? i am assuming that they project him on a screen on the floor and then that is reflected off an angled surface that the audience sees.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't give away the secret. But let me just say that I'm talking about what's behind Christopher Walken.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: