Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

universal hollywood fire

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: universal hollywood fire Reply with quote

Wow has anyone been keeping up with this story? This is a tragic loss for the park and the studios. I read there was another major fire back in the early 90s that also destroyed alot of sets that of course they must have rebuilt.
Holly
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... one of my friends told me about it tonght after seeing it on the news... It surprises me considering the high-tech fire supression systems we have now. Historically, many theme parks have been lost to fire, but we use a lot more fire-proof and fire-retardant materials. However, on the other hand, Universal Studios deals with some huge propane tanks... Which means that if a fire gets out of control, it is no small problem. I hope that no one was injured and that the park is able to rebuild after their loss... I don't have any real info, but my sympathies to the park, the investors and workers.
DancinBelle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this on the news too, they said something about special effects pyrotechnics exploding. Shocked Apparently the King Kong ride is gone now.
Holly
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... I have a scepticism when it comes to news reports. Another report says it was an accident during/after installation of asphalt... We may never know the cause, but I am sure Universal is taking good measures to ensure that the accident does not happen again.

If they can't get King Kong back up and runnng (it is apparently in seriously bad shape after the fire), what new or existing (in FL, Japan or elsewhere) attaction would you put in its place?
lightguy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"If they can't get King Kong back up and runnng (it is apparently in seriously bad shape after the fire), what new or existing (in FL, Japan or elsewhere) attaction would you put in its place?"

Seriously bad shape would be one way of putting it:
http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/photos/306370887_W6Bbr-M.jpg

The beige building in the foreground used to be King Kong. (Source: miceage.com )

Personally I'd love to see a Spiderman 2.0 go into this space. But is this area too far removed from the main part of the theme park to have a stand alone attraction in? (It's been years since I've made it to USH)
Holly
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! Wow! So King Kong is no long scary... He's just good for making s'mores! Laughing

Poor Kong..
steamboatwillie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:09 am    Post subject: In lieu of the King... Reply with quote

Spiderman would definitely be cool - that attraction is amazing on so many levels. Yet, at the same time with Universal Studios Hollywood being the original park AND actually in the city its' franchises are based around, I'd love to see it get its own unique, original, new attraction.

However, in place of King Kong?? Too far from the main park...which brings up an excellent point -- expansion.

Personally, I'd love to see a tram ride that whisks guests off through the Backlot tour and drops them off at a new "land" with new attractions. OR the other option is to create a new show for the area where KING KONG was and re-introduce it into the backlot tour. Or perhaps nothing at all Sad

It's really unfortunate that we lost the King Kong show AND the Hill Valley Clock Tower (of Back to the Future fame)...but, perhaps we're in for a pleasant surprise at USH in the not-too-distant future.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's very sad that these famous attractions were lost. I will say however that in the long run it will be good for Universal Creative, in terms of a new project! And of course, it will add to the Studios Tour lore as they tell the story of the studios.

Nate
Holly
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right... It would be a good story. I read something that said Kong got hit by the first fire as well, but they rebuilt him. It might possibly be the only attraction in amusement history that has burned up twice!

Still...I miss the old Kong attraction here in FL (except for the fiendishly long line that tended to be there). At least there is still E.T. -- I love the atmosphere in there Smile It's sad that the big ape is gone now on both coasts.
steamboatwillie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:14 am    Post subject: Bring back E.T. Reply with quote

This is a plea to Universal Creative:

PLEASE bring us something as brilliant as ET once was on the West Coast -- that queue was STUNNING, and the ride itself...stellar. I agree with Holly completely, that ride is amazing. It was replaced out here with THE MUMMY, but that just seems like an empty soundstage with a track going through it...I don't really get the appeal, maybe I missed something.

I mean come on, when E.T. says goodbye (fill in name here)...how cool was that?? And riding in the bikes?? AWESOME!!

As for Kong... maybe a drive-in simulator?? That could be pretty sweet.
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah ET is awesome i agree. Next time I ride with a group of friends we are all going to give the same name so that when ET says our names it will sound like a broken record hah, im sure its been done before but fun nonetheless. I think we were discussing a while back how beautiful the forest queue area is...it just makes me feel good when i walk in there!
steamboatwillie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, right!! That smell in the queue is amazing - it totally reminds me of Muir Woods up in Nor cal, a breathtaking redwood forest. I always loved the scent from Soarin' Over California - do you East Coasters have that? (I thought I read it was at Epcot??) The scents that are used throughout are amazing and really place you in the various environments. I'd like to see that sense used more often, I understand the hesitation (what with allergies and all), but it really rounds out the fantasy environment when one can actually smell the purported place they've entered.
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah we got it over here and the lines are always incredibly long, it seems like it takes forever...does anyone know the THRC for this ride? (Soarin over Cali)
Holly
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really know the THRC, but I wouldn't imagine it is all that high... I believe that there are two separate rooms/gondolas, and the show is probably around 5 minutes + turn-around time. I would estimate each of the two gondolas at around 75-90 people per... At least for the Epcot ones. I would guess a THRC of around 1200 from playing with those numbers, but that's really rough. I haven't seen the California ride...

I agree though... the lines are so long it's not really worth it unless you manage to snag a fastpass... (at least, if you've already seen it more than once).

I like smells... except for chilidog burp and skunk (thanks, Imagineers for those)... smells are very much part of how our brain files memories and memories of places... so even a very soft smell (like that of an old house), if specific, can be very evocative and raise the emotion of a ride.
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow good guess...wikipedia being the most amazing site that it is, it states that the ride takes on 87 guests per show, i imagine like you said that this is per gondola...with a show length of 4:41, add about 3-4 minutes to that for turnover(maybe faster)...that comes out to about 1200-1300 per hour like you said!

Sorry if i seemed redundant with that info, I just get curious sometimes (or all the time)!
lightguy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Bring back E.T. Reply with quote

[quote="steamboatwillie"]As for Kong... maybe a drive-in simulator?? That could be pretty sweet.[/quote]

Ever been to Busch Gardens Africa in Tampa, FL?

They have this really innovative effect where the tram drives onto a "bridge" that gets over taken by the river and the tram rides sideways down the river on the bridge.

It's really cool and definitely a "how'd they do that" moment. (I was expected the same old 'oh no, not the ricket-y old bridge' then you barely escape to the other side shtick).

Now I doubt they have room for that at USF, but you could use similar technology, maybe have the tram split into indivual cars, and drive onto a motion base. Seems like there'd be some potential in that type of thing for a great ride experience.
lightguy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also wish that smell was used more often in theme parks, and not as a gimmick, but as a thoughtfully designed, integrated element.
MartinJ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have an annual pass to Busch Gardens there. And, every time I rode the safari, the bridge portion was broken. That was about once a month for the two years. I must've just been very unlucky.
Holly
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's also the tough thing about really innovative attractions... Because it has never been done before, there are a lot of problems that can't be predicted until later on when wear and tear starts to happen. Knowing a little about that ride, I would bet was a bear to design and is tough to upkeep...
just-inverted

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i heard the fire got started with some workers in the back stage area.they were testing with making fire in cement.might be for a new movie they're making.i imagine it to be a test prop thingy for the new Mummy movie.
kingslyZISSOU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="MartinJ"]I used to have an annual pass to Busch Gardens there. And, every time I rode the safari, the bridge portion was broken. That was about once a month for the two years. I must've just been very unlucky.[/quote]

haha thats happened to my brother. Ive only seen the bridge part twice, but EVERY time my brother tries to go on it its broken, or breaks right before he gets on it. they really need to figure out how to fix it, or do something better with the area.
steamboatwillie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the name of the attraction you're all talking about at Busch Gardens?
MartinJ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one I'm thinking of is called "Rhino Rally" (www.buschgardens.com/BGT/aaa_rhino_rally.aspx).
lightguy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's the one.

Had no idea how often it broke down, I must have been lucky.
kingslyZISSOU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been since January, but i am going tomorrow. Ill let you guys know if its broken. I mean, its not that cool of an effect if you have seen it before. If you don't know its coming, its a neat surprise.
kingslyZISSOU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear it used to be more rapid like, but they have had to tone it down. Now its pretty slow, and not very exciting.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: