Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

Adventure experiences in theme parks

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lightguy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Adventure experiences in theme parks Reply with quote

THere's a really interesting article at http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/archive/2008/06/06/will-pirates-soon-be-returning-to-treasure-er-discovery-island.aspx

Its about using an island on WDW property to have special experiences that are like a combination theme park and Myst game. Two of the themes talked about are LOST and Pirates of the Caribbean.

I don't know about anyone else, but I would love it if this became a trend in theme parks, either for after hours events or in special locations like the one in the article. To me its kind of like Halloween Horror Nights on steriods, but with the added interest of being actively involved.

Lots of Imagineers are quoted in articles that interactivity will be the key to the next generations of theme parks, but so far we've only seen hi tech "shooter" games, which to me is barely interactive.

So what does everyone else think? Would you pay a premium for an active, interactive experience? Or do you prefer a slower, more passive day at the park?
DancinBelle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to visit a more interactive park. Have you ever watched a group of little kids go through Minnie's House in Toontown? They love to press buttons and watch what happens. They would need to make sure it was clear in advertising that it is not a passive experience.

I am a HUGE Myst fan, and a bit of a Lost fan too, but I'm afraid another POTC island would be going to far. They are nearing the breaking point. Making, basically, a special park for it is overkill.
steamboatwillie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Attractions for the elite?? Reply with quote

I'm yet again offended by Disney management. It seems like this one-time family-run corporation that would encourage imagineers to spend hours in the park to experience the average day of a guest has once again forgotten about the "Disney" way.

A park created for only those willing to shell out exorbitant amounts of cash and/or for convention/corporate parties seems all too restricting and limited to a small few guests who can afford such a luxury. Would Walt really want this? Isn't the point of DISNEY to allow EVERYONE the same magical experience?? Isn't that one of the residing reasons why we left the ticketbook system in favor of a GENERAL admission so everyone can experience the same magic throughout the park?

Furthermore, why on earth would WDI opt to spend more money on a privatized parcel of land when they could spend other funds on PLUSSING current attractions or adding new ones INSIDE the opened gates. What about Westcot? What about Beastly Kingom? Speaking of Animal Kingdom, Joe Rhode had so many amazing rides in development at WDI that were put aside due to funds and was it my imagination or did attendance not spike after Everest opened?? Why doesn't Disney invest in their current gate and stop opening new ones to dismal reviews?? Walt physically walked ONE of his parks and yet he was ALWAYS seeking out new ways to improve it -- come on Disney, you've already got the base, just start adding some mix to the recipe.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: