Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

Robotic Arm technology

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingslyZISSOU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Robotic Arm technology Reply with quote

What do you guys know about the potential use of robotic arms in the theme park industry. I heard something about it being used for a harry potter attraction at ioa. What do you guys think of its uses? pro? cons?
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would one use one for? Examples?

Nate
kingslyZISSOU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, read this article http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/archive/2007/04/15/monday-mousewatch-wdi-hopes-that-its-living-character-initiative-program-will-help-make-up-for-the-loss-of-both-harry-potter-as-well-as-kuka-s-robotic-arm-technology.aspx

You know spiderman at Islands of adventure? those motion simulator cars are pretty neat right? well look at this

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Jn4KMDDxVLU

If you could put an arm like that (but bigger) on a track, it could have so many possibilities, not necessarily for a thrill ride like in the video, but a story based ride like spiderman. I have some ideas for ride concepts, but i don't know if i should share them with everyone, you know what i mean? should I?

But if you utilize the current 3d projection technology, with a ride system like that, the possibilities are limitless.

you could do so much visual trickery, like on the indiana jones ride at disneyland with the rolling ball. It just makes my mind race.

In my mind, the only downside is the cost compared to the capacity. It would take a boat load of those robotic arms to keep the line moving.
DancinBelle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks amazing! That opens up so many new kinds of rides, it's mind-boggling. I can't wait to see what they come up with!
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If these are mounted on a "standard" steel roller coaster track, how do you think the arms will receive power and data? I guess they could use some sort of contacts similar to an electric streetcar or subway etc. Data could be wireless maybe?...You are right in saying that there are so many possibilities with this technology. They could be randomized, they could be interactive...Im really excited to see how this turns out in the next few years.
kingslyZISSOU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="icandrawem2"]If these are mounted on a "standard" steel roller coaster track, how do you think the arms will receive power and data? I guess they could use some sort of contacts similar to an electric streetcar or subway etc. Data could be wireless maybe?...You are right in saying that there are so many possibilities with this technology. They could be randomized, they could be interactive...Im really excited to see how this turns out in the next few years.[/quote]

yeah, i'm not sure how that would work. I just don't think that an arm like that will ever be put on a track for something other than a dark ride. I mean i don't think the capacity would be near anything realistic. though it would be cool if you could control the car yourself on the coaster track.

Does anyone know how they can do the on-board audio for rockin-roller coaster? the amount of speakers would have to suck a high amount of wattagefrom somewhere. does anyone know how that works?
DancinBelle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's seven speakers per person, not quite sure though.
MartinJ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trains are most likely drawing power from the track rails. Since it uses linear induction to accelerate so quickly (which requires some hefty electromagnets on the actual trains), I imagine they are just drawing a little extra for the amplifiers.
kingslyZISSOU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="MartinJ"]The trains are most likely drawing power from the track rails. Since it uses linear induction to accelerate so quickly (which requires some hefty electromagnets on the actual trains), I imagine they are just drawing a little extra for the amplifiers.[/quote]

But how do they regulate how much the individual trains take in, since there are multiple trains? does that make sense? and wouldnt that be really unsafe? like if someone falls on to the track?
MartinJ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now we're sinking into electric engineering. How do you think the monorails get their power? There are two electrical feeds running under the track. That's why there are the danger signs about high voltage. The voltage gets stepped down and conditioned in the train using transformers and other circuitry. I imagine the coaster would have the same setup.
kingslyZISSOU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting
Holly
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many older dark rides have a "bus bar" -- basically a metal rail which feeds the power to the car. In that case, the safety concern (for employees who work the attraction) is whether the bus bar is above or under the floor (i think in that case, you have an arm of the vehicle which reaches through a slot in the floor to draw power). I hear that it is done both ways, depending on the company.

Some rides, like Universe of Energy, break that pattern. I think that U of E cars draw power while sitting in the theaters, without touching the source, but I am not sure. I would wonder with linear induction, if you are creating strong electromagnetic fields, if you could draw small amounts of energy (enough to run speakers, etc) without having any exposed parts that have to touch. At any rate, even if the parts are exposed, it is pretty much the same situation that you have with an exposed bus bar. There are reasons guests should stay in their vehicles!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: