Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

Old School look and feel

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loric

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Old School look and feel Reply with quote

Everyone has their own rendering style, mine tends to be a bit sketchy and at times almost too mechanical.

I'm completely in love with the way some past "greats" render though and i started some research into their style and how to possibly achieve it myself. I've gone through a lot of books, many completely useless, and i've uncovered two gems for that good-old rendering style that we all drool over in books on theme design.

A) Sketching and Rendering of Interior Space by Ivo Drpic (spelling intentional)

http://www.amazon.com/Sketching-Rendering-Interior-Spaces-Drpic/dp/0823048535/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222106386&sr=8-1

A good overall book, plus it gives clues to some rendering tricks and tips i'd never considered. A really cool way to achieve a night time glow via vellum and a colored sheet behind the image for instance.

B) Drawing and Designing with Confidence by Mike W. Lin

http://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Designing-Confidence-Step-Step/dp/0471283908/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222106545&sr=8-1

A compendium of styles and technique, but the sections on marker technique are spot on to the style I adore.

Give them a looksy, I think you'll enjoy them Smile
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just by looking at random pages on amazon, those definitely look very helpful. I am also a big fan of marker rendering and I use prismacolor markers quite a bit along with colored pencil for rendering. Its definitely more old school to use markers and such, nowadays you see so much computer aided rendering that sometimes it just seems too "perfect" so to speak. I like the more organic renderings because sometimes less is more. Those look like two good reads that i will have to pick up sometime. at any rate, thanks for sharing!
Loric

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick update - when i first posted those books I was going into a "classical" drawing class in the art department (I take "fun" classes while i finish my last few credits). Let me tell you, classical art training is not the same.

However, a fellow student has been taking the class i wanted but couldn't get into, Architectural Freehand. Got to talking to people, yadda yadda, i'm in the class for m final semester in the Spring. It's exactly that drawing style I've been searching for.

The books have helped a lot, but don't really give you much real practice. I'm so excited. I'm not going to be amazing, but I will certainly improve. Now i'll be able to draw naked people (classical art training) and accurately render perspective freehand. Woot!

I know many folks browse these boards in college or considering college. The one bit of advice I can give as someone just about to goto Graduate study in scenic design - looks at and take relevant architecture courses like their drawing classes and history classes. Art is good too, but they are a bit restricted in their idea of what 'art' is.

I didn't get my BFA, instead I synthesized a scenic design BA into a more holistic education suited for what i want to do - not what the program wanted me to learn (as would be the case with the BFA). Make your education what you want it to be kids!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: